Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I’d say....No worries, just mail it to me. The day I graduated was hotter than he**, and took forever.
It never occurred to me to go to high school graduation. Just not my speed and I was mentally out of there a long time prior.
When I went in to take some cookies to teachers and pick up my diploma, there was a large stack of them for people who didn't attend. That's when they told me I didn't legally graduate because I skipped too much time (I had a car, a job, friends in the city and apparently zero school spirit) but they let me go because I'd stop in to take tests and stuff, was in the top ten percent and didn't make trouble. I always felt sort of odd about this, since I imagine that the "C" class kids had more stringent expectations to show up.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:51 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree with a previous poster who said if it hasn't been a problem all this time why is suddenly an issue now? If the school is only 4% black, I would think it's racism along with an archaic rule.
Yes, the boy and his family are from Trinidad. It is very common way for men to wear their hair there. They didn’t make this rule until Christmas break of this year. So again, the person who said he should’ve been grandfathered in I agree with. Or just wait until this June and then start the rule for next year students.

There are also several videos that show his mom doing his hair, he doesn’t wear the dreadlocks long his mom pins them up on his head so his hair is short at school.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:52 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I'm not sure why it would be racist. White kids have hair too.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Is it currently fashionable for white kids to wear their hair in violation of the former dress code that was rewritten in December?

This hair style is enormously fashionable right now for young black men, is what's caught my eye.

Were they having similar concerns about white male's hair?

Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I think school dress codes are just silly in general and usually discriminatory. The only exceptions are when it may be a matter of safety. But someones hair has absolutely no affect on anyone's ability to learn or teach. Same goes for what they wear. And for the record, I am a former teacher.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

While it's not unheard of, typically, white kids don't have dreds.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
This was just presented on the local news in San Francisco a couple minutes ago.
It is nice to see that this bully type behavior can not be tolerated and swept under the rug.
I don’t think we have heard the last of this.
Totally unacceptable.
I have no tolerance for racism.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
All I've seen of the dress code is that is based on length and not style such as dreds. To me, that applies equally to all guys of any color and is not racially motivated. As I've already stated I think this kid should be allowed to keep his hair.

We have guys in our local high school with long hair, dreds, transgender women, male sikhs who wear their hair in a turban, guys with beards, etc. I'm not sure what the actual dress code for that is. At this point, I've only heard of modestly dressed kids getting dress coded.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, the boy and his family are from Trinidad. It is very common way for men to wear their hair there. They didn’t make this rule until Christmas break of this year. So again, the person who said he should’ve been grandfathered in I agree with. Or just wait until this June and then start the rule for next year students.

There are also several videos that show his mom doing his hair, he doesn’t wear the dreadlocks long his mom pins them up on his head so his hair is short at school.
As I've said, I think it's very unfair. I surely would tell my son not to walk at graduation and am especially pissed that this is a new rule. Sounds like he's being targeted like the wrestler from last year.

One question I do have is if it's his natural hair like the wrestler from last year or if he has a dreadlocks weave. I'm just curious.

I found a really good article about the boy last year. It's a very long article but tells how his world has been turned upside down and how traumatic that haircut was; how he now endures criticism from locals about his hair. Most of all, whoever wrote those articles, decided he was black when that's not how he sees himself. He's proud of all of his ethnicity.

Once again we have a kid in the national spotlight who never asked to be there.

The untold story of wrestler Andrew Johnson’s dreadlocks - How the high school athlete endured his infamous haircut

Quote:
The four Johnson children are Drew, who is now 17, 13-year-old Cami, 15-year-old Nate and 19-year-old Matt. Each of their complexions is a different shade of brown. Their hair, too, varies in texture and degree of curl. Drew has the lightest skin, and freckles. He cultivated his dreadlocks in early 2018 by rubbing his hair nightly with a towel. Cami is the darkest, with caramel-colored skin and hair that, when I saw her, fell past her shoulders in cascading coils. Cami is the only sibling who sort of considers herself black. Her brothers never defined themselves that way. If pressed, the Johnson boys will break themselves down mathematically: 50% Puerto Rican, 25% black and 25% white.

Last December, Drew’s calculated identity went up in smoke. That’s when the world decided he was black.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:07 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Roselvr you are going to have to settle for an “air” rep because I can’t rep you enough .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events