Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find it absolutely ridiculous that they let him attend school here and do all his studies and earn enough credits to graduate, and the hair wasn’t a big deal then… But now all of a sudden it’s the line in the sand for him to walk through graduation? It just seems like a pretty stupid hill to die on for the school in my opinion, especially since apparently he’s been a student there with the same haircut for however long he’s been there. What’s the point of cutting it now, for this one day? If the hair was against their code, they should’ve dealt with it a long time ago.
Totally agree.

Always seems to be a common theme, no issues until things like graduation and then the school start whining about dress codes.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:33 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Totally agree.

Always seems to be a common theme, no issues until things like graduation and then the school start whining about dress codes.

I wonder if he was warned about his hair at any point of his high school matriculation?

Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM

903 posts, read 583,190 times
Have always felt that you should follow the rules as set. If you don't like them, work to change them. But, if they don't, follow them.

My son had a mohawk in HS. Originally, they told him to cut his hair. He didn't know he was breaking the policy. We pointed out he was getting straight As, did well in sports, and no one around him was having problems. They allowed him to keep it. If they had said no, we would have cut it.

Today, people don't think rules apply to them. Somehow they are special and should be able to ignore them. Get over yourselves, people.

cd :O)

Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Have always felt that you should follow the rules as set. If you don't like them, work to change them. But, if they don't, follow them.

My son had a mohawk in HS. Originally, they told him to cut his hair. He didn't know he was breaking the policy. We pointed out he was getting straight As, did well in sports, and no one around him was having problems. They allowed him to keep it. If they had said no, we would have cut it.

Today, people don't think rules apply to them. Somehow they are special and should be able to ignore them. Get over yourselves, people.

cd :O)

Seems like that's what's happening.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:35 PM

19,705 posts, read 20,232,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I remember when that happened. The video was so painful to watch...I wanted to cry

Old 01-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
So there are some issues here.

The dress code was modified over the winter holiday break, making his hairstyle suddenly out of code.

The other thing worth mentioning is that GreatSchools website reports this district is 4% Black, which would explain the outcries of racial discrimination being thrown around. It's possible this young man is the only black student graduating this May.

The family is suing the district. Things may have changed, but in the past, the courts have ruled that school districts in Texas have a right to set their own standards, based on the beliefs of the community.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
So this is a public school and they have a right to descriminate against a person that has long hair?
Absolutely unbelievable.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:41 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
So this is a public school and they have a right to descriminate against a person that has long hair?
Absolutely unbelievable.
Are people with long hair a protected class? No? Didn't think so.

The issue is if the rule is being applied fairly. Are girls with hair that length also being forced to cut? If so, this is probably a non-issue.

However, I suspect that isn't the case and he probably has pretty firm ground to sue if he/his family so choose to do so. The whole "choose your battles" thing comes to mind, but still, it's pretty blatant sexism if that's the case.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Absolutely unbelievable.
Well, yes. They have a right to "discriminate" against a person with long hair.

Hair and dress codes are a part of virtually every single school district. They change over time, but yes, schools can tell students how to dress and groom themselves, and have forever done just that.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:50 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find it absolutely ridiculous that they let him attend school here and do all his studies and earn enough credits to graduate, and the hair wasn’t a big deal then… But now all of a sudden it’s the line in the sand for him to walk through graduation? It just seems like a pretty stupid hill to die on for the school in my opinion, especially since apparently he’s been a student there with the same haircut for however long he’s been there. What’s the point of cutting it now, for this one day? If the hair was against their code, they should’ve dealt with it a long time ago.
Agree. The problem wasn't unnoticed until the final day unless it's a rule for graduation only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events