Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2020, 01:35 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times

Advertisements

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...med-cases.html

Old 02-24-2020, 01:37 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Transmission by water was not eliminated by the Chinese! They may not have time now to test it!?
Black humor: the author needs make clear one does not drink the boiling water. Ouch. Would water be a concern if per the article the virus does not infect the digestive tract? But then last I checked the throat connects to the respiratory system so who knows.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/2020...217277d2b.html

Old 02-24-2020, 01:54 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Interesting =

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...T?ocid=BHEA000

I wonder if they'll jump the gun with easing of containment measures.
Its promising news if the numbers are accurate.

I've been watching the trend of recovered vs deaths and it is trending that ratio of recovery/death is dropping. A few weeks ago it was 60/40%, now it has dropped to 91/9% and still dropping. Almost suggests the deaths occur quickly, but recovery takes weeks.

I also noticed the china-specific cases have been dropping. I take that data with a grain of salt (maybe they are low on testing kits) but it's optimistic amd promising if a city of 11million can plateau at 75000 cases. I know Worldmeters does state they are coming out with country specific charts shortly. It would be helpful to see if this trend occurs elsewhere. At least if it does show signs of stabilizing, it would be a hell of a lot better than the doom and gloom picture that is looming. Of course, the measures in place need to hold long enough for the risk of continued contagion to pass.

Worldmeter's graphs are pretty informative (assuming the data is accurate) and promising. Showing the trend of recoveries (in china) is starting to accelerate with the trend of new cases dropping off. Even the number of critical cases is dropping. We will need ot hold our breath and see if this is repeated in locations outside of mainland china.

EDIT: In case you don't know the link i'm talking about
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...e-distribution

Last edited by BostonMike7; 02-24-2020 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not in my neck of the woods. lots of ethnic chinese in the dc area are buying them up and shipping them to friends and relatives in china who can't get any.rl]
Looks like same here.

Stopped at home depot to pick up some fertilizer (looking forward to spring) and needed a mask to disperse it. I have a supply of N95 masks, but given the current situation decided to swing by the respirator aisle.

All cleared out.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:14 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Read my post that the Chinese determined 3 sources of infection and the South China Market is not the source but an outbreak!
They are now saying that November was the start of the epidemic.
I think it could be June of last year- a lot of pediatric pneumonias were being reported to WHO...

They claim that in the US patients - the virus has 5 sources! Taiwan 2!
( genomic research of the patients samples of virus from 12 countries-93 samples, 4 continents)
do you have a link for the ‘they claim’ part?

Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 PM

WHO claiming cases in china have peaked and are declining. Shows promise that the virus can be contained.

2 week recovery for mild cases, 3-6 for serious/critical.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/who-...oncerning.html

https://www.ibtimes.com/virus-peaked...ic-who-2927679

Will have to pay close attention to Italy and South Korea in the next few weeks and see if their numbers level off. I'd include Iran, but you know you won't get any info at all from them

Old 02-24-2020, 03:15 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Some of the surprises in global spread for me have been India and Thailand.

If you've ever been in India you know, those cats have no concept of personal space to the point where it can even make China seem standoffish. When they had a few cases I was worried it would bloom into China like numbers very quickly, but it never took off.

Also Thailand, just because they had a somewhat aggressive spike early on. In early February they were near the top of the country list at 32, but here they are today with their infection curve flattening out showing 35 cases with 20 fully recovered, zero fatalities. They've either done a great job at containment, got real lucky, or (more likely) a combination of the two.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:

If you've ever been in India you know, those cats have no concept of personal space to the point where it can even make China seem standoffish. When they had a few cases I was worried it would bloom into China like numbers very quickly, but it never took off.

Also Thailand, just because they had a somewhat aggressive spike early on. In early February they were near the top of the country list at 32, but here they are today with their infection curve flattening out showing 35 cases with 20 fully recovered, zero fatalities. They've either done a great job at containment, got real lucky, or (more likely) a combination of the two.
Usually high temperature helps. Very few viral outbreaks are in summer.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
A good read here: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...ed-coronavirus

Quote:
A team of researchers has hit back at rumours that the coronavirus that emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year was engineered. In a paper posted on the scientific online forum Virological on Monday, the scientists – who include top epidemiologist W. Ian Lipkin from Columbia University; Edward Holmes from the University of Sydney; and Kristian Andersen of Scripps Research – said there were crucial genetic clues indicating that the coronavirus, also known as SARS-CoV-2, was not created in a laboratory. Despite scientists’ repeated efforts at debunking, conspiracy theories about the still-unknown origins of the virus have been rife.
Others not directly involved in this research concur:
Quote:
University of Queensland professor Roy Hall, who researches viral protein structures and was not involved in the study, agreed with the researchers’ evidence on these features and their overall conclusions. “If this was a genetically engineered virus, they [researchers] would be taking a virus that we know infects humans and causes disease and using the same genetic structure. But we haven’t seen [these features] before, so they’ve evolved naturally, separately in nature. No one has seen them before so they wouldn’t be genetically engineered that way,” Hall said. “Obviously a key objective was to clearly say that claims that the virus had been genetically engineered in a laboratory are very unfounded, and I completely agree with them based on the evidence they’ve shown.”

Old 02-24-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:

I think temp/humidity play a role.

Malaysia and Vietnam also had a number of cases early on, but quiet lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events