Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 11:14 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Where are you located? What is the status of the pandemic at your location?
I'm in a city of 1.3 million. A total of roughly 5000 people have recovered from covid with roughly 250 active cases today. The number of deaths seems to be 1/3 of current active provincial cases. That makes a total of roughly 5400 cases in a population of 1.3 million that had a total shut down and where people are looking at working from home into the Fall.

Restaurants are open. Canada is not counting presumptive positives, and it's possible that deaths where there is no testing are not counted as covid deaths. Canada followed the WHO regarding counting. It seems like numbers are murky everywhere, not just China.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Please provide source for this information or provide your analysis on how you are arriving at the 5% mortality rate number.
Source?

That would be the discussion we're in and whatever original post started debating whether increased testing meant that the rate of infection should automatically increase.

Right?

Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The US borders are closed. It was at Trumps insistence that the Canadian and Mexican borders were closed. It's by joint agreements. So that is not a different approach.

U.S. Borders with Mexico, Canada to Remain Closed Over Coronavirus Concerns _ National News _ US News
USA borders are not closed, are they?

It is true that the Canada border with the USA and all other countries is closed, but is it true that the USA borders are closed to all other countries? I think not.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:20 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
..So much for "infectious herd immunity;" as I said, a new generation is born to suffer the epidemic all over again.

This statement has reminded me of something quite interesting from a "Great Courses" show now on Amazon:

DNA research has revealed that survivors of the Black Death in the Middle ages have apparently passed on an immunity to their heirs against HIV/AIDS.

Quite intriguing, especially considering that Yersinia Pestis is not a virus and HIV is.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:30 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
USA borders are not closed, are they?

It is true that the Canada border with the USA and all other countries is closed, but is it true that the USA borders are closed to all other countries? I think not.
We only have two borders, a north and a south. They are both closed to all non-essential travel, and have been for months.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
This statement has reminded me of something quite interesting from a "Great Courses" show now on Amazon:

DNA research has revealed that survivors of the Black Death in the Middle ages have apparently passed on an immunity to their heirs against HIV/AIDS.

Quite intriguing, especially considering that Yersinia Pestis is not a virus and HIV is.
That's a happy rumour that is bound to have people searching their genealogy. Anyone who is 100% European will be hoping that they have inherited covid immunity. Anyone who is 100% European doesn't need genealogy to know that ancestors who survived the Black Death give optimism, not immunity.

That's similar to early information suggesting Asians were prone to death by covid because of DNA defect.

Today, the theory is that vitamin D helps. Perhaps this is because transmission is reduced outdoors and people are outdoors in the warmer weather. Some think that vitamin D makes a difference, whereas perhaps it is that the wind blows the virus away outdoors. For all our landing on the moon and technological connections, we still seem quite helpless to understand the virus.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
We only have two borders, a north and a south. They are both closed to all non-essential travel, and have been for months.
What? The USA has closed all borders to people from all over the world?

Canada closed the borders to people from every other country, not just the land border. Why are you only referencing land borders?

Do you really believe that the Canada USA border is closed because that's what Trump wants?

Old 06-23-2020, 11:37 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
I am referring to this post. See below. You seem to indicate that "5% of us who get the virus could die." What is the basis of this premise? The mortality rate for this virus seems to be well below 0.5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Eradication is impossible as long as there is a conflict between eradication and supply chain economics. Today there is the added issue of free choice and speech. Protesters make eradication impossible - last month we had pandemic restriction protests, today protests for the covid+ drugged man who died during counterfeit money arrest. People are out of work, restless, and continue to socialize when they are knowingly infected, like George Floyd.

Play for time is what every country tried to do to contain and slow the spread, giving health care systems time to prepare and manage. Masks are the only barrier between us and the virus. Self isolating helps. 5% of us who get the virus could die. Which 5% should it be? The old people who self isolated while young careless people come and go, silently delivering the virus?

Old 06-23-2020, 11:39 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Quote:
Where are you located? What is the status of the pandemic at your location?
They are in Canada just, don’t want to admit it since they are posting “facts” about the USA. I recognize them from the Megan Markle posts before Megan and Prince Harry moved to LA.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 06-24-2020 at 12:25 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
They are in Canada just, don’t want to admit it since they are posting “facts” about the USA. I recognize them from the Megan Markle posts before Meghan and Prince Harry moved to LA.
This is definitely not the first time someone in the USA has said hey, this person is Canadian and therefore That Canadian can't possible know what they're talking about. Pfff - Canadian!

It's true. It should be evident in my spelling that I am Canadian. Defence, not defense. Humour, not humor. I am careful to accommodate your spelling because Canadians are polite, but sometimes I just feel like using my own spelling.

However, should it be assumed that only people born in the USA understand the country's troubles? Surely not. Given what we see in the USA with virus pandemic, race pandemic, social disruption and chaos, rioting, destruction - are you really in a good position to declare that the Canadian perspective is inferior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events