Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 04:06 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
While I think that removing that funding sends the wrong message, there's by now so many testing sites out there that removing those 13 across the country won't make much of a dent in the overall numbers. When I checked, I counted 37 within 10 miles of where I live.
I think I just read today that there are 250 testing sites here in NJ. But that doesn't mean you need to drive up here and use them. As our neighbor across the creek said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny-...togallery.html

(OK, for geography geeks, that particular neighbor is on the same side of the creek but 100 miles upriver.)

Old 06-25-2020, 04:07 PM

43,279 posts, read 18,419,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not for long...
From what I've read those sites are from the original testing program. They are closing those and instead letting retail pharmacies do the testing and reimburse them.

So I don't think you will lose testing. It's just those special sites are being transitioned to the retail pharmacies in the communities.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...or-coronavirus
Adm. Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary for the Department of Health and Human Services, however, said Wednesday that even though the government will stop directly funding the testing sites, the amount of testing will not decrease and the sites should not lose resources.

“We are transitioning 13 sites from the original now antiquated program to the more efficient and effective testing sites,” Girori said. He argued the government is still supporting increased testing capacity through a federal bundled payment program for retail pharmacies setting up testing sites.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,606,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
In a store two days ago I heard someone sneezing in the next aisle over. Did it about three times. When I eventually walked that way it was a younger guy without a mask.

Again, it's always guys not wearing masks. Women are very good about it.

Perhaps the latest trend towards face shields will change this. Men with fragile egos will no longer have to feel like they look weak in public. A shield looks macho, like a welder or motorcycle tough guy, rather than a sickly hospital patient wearing a mask.
Bandanas are cool looking. Like an outlaw/gangster.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think I just read today that there are 250 testing sites here in NJ.

Here's a map of the various testing sites in Texas - the vast majority of which are NOT financed by FEMA (the financing that is being cut off June 30 - which was decided by FEMA in May).
https://txdps.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w...5ce25be580e4ff

Old 06-25-2020, 04:17 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,380,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what they say. Same as all those people on the cruise ships who got sick. Maybe the virus was spreading through the ventilation system. And remember that instance in China where some people not even sitting near the infected person got sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/h...staurants.html

One of the restaurant’s air-conditioners apparently blew the virus particles around the dining room...

...That outbreak illustrates some of the challenges that restaurants will face when they try to reopen. Ventilation systems can create complex patterns of airflow and keep viruses aloft, so simply spacing tables six feet apart — the minimum distance that the C.D.C. advises you keep from other people — may not be sufficient to safeguard restaurant patrons.

I don't know if they've completely figured that one out but a paper is supposed to come out in July that discusses it.
We thought long and hard about that because eating out is one of the things we really enjoy but we reached a consensus that for the time being we are sticking to restaurants with outdoor seating.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,144,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I often visit that area, and the whole area between San Antonio and Austin is nothing but urban sprawl. It's also bumper to bumper traffic between the two cities, so it's pretty hard to tell where one metro area ends and the other one begins.

But hey, if you want to throw in San Antonio, the San Antonio metro area has 9 counties so let's add those to the mix.

2/3s of the population of Texas does NOT live in those counties. Thankfully, Texas in general has a ton of great hospitals and hospital systems outside those counties.
I have been there too, I know there’s sprawl. Downtown San Antonio is still 80 miles from downtown Austin. Your state’s health department doesn’t think it’s the same area. And quite frankly, given the number of times you have mentioned in this thread that Texas is huge and you live in Smith County which is NOT DALLAS AT ALL and we should all be very careful not too paint too broad a brush, I am perplexed that you’d claim Bexar County is in the Austin metro.

Today’s hospitalization numbers are out. Things are heating up in the Lower Rio Grande Valley as well. Let’s hope for the best, time to put those great hospitals to good use against this disease.

But just for some perspective, the trends don’t look good for any large metro area in Texas:

Dallas: 595 hospitalized on 5/31 due to covid-19... 1137 on 6/25 (91% increase)
Houston: 454 ... 1496 (230% increase)
San Antonio: 90 ... 606 (573% increase)
Austin: 87 ... 288 (231% increase)
Lower Rio Grande Valley: 37 ... 398 (976% increase)
Rest of Texas: 421 ... 814 (93% increase)
Total: 1684 .. 4739 (181% increase)
Source: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronav...TimebyTSA.xlsx

Old 06-25-2020, 04:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,125,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Could be many factors. They did release many prisoners where the prisons were hotbeds for COVID but they never quarantined these people. There is a correlation with flu shots. I don't see a lot of black people being obese but it may be related to genetics. Just my opinion.
Black Americans are dying disproportionately from COVID. Blacks from Africa are not.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It's related to the flu shot but nobody here wants to hear it.

Quote:
Vaccine derived virus interference was significantly associated with coronavirus and human metapneumovirus
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64410X19313647

We won't be like Australia, a one country continent that can shut out the rest of the world. The prevalence of COVID is too high here & people will die when flu shot season starts. I'm saving my energy for that argument in the fall.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:26 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,077,289 times
EU looking to ban America from traveling to their shores as it reopens borders citing failures of the coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/w...ravel-ban.html

Old 06-25-2020, 04:28 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,077,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Black Americans are dying disproportionately from COVID. Blacks from Africa are not.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It's related to the flu shot but nobody here wants to hear it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64410X19313647

We won't be like Australia, a one country continent that can shut out the rest of the world. The prevalence of COVID is too high here & people will die when flu shot season starts. I'm saving my energy for that argument in the fall.
I've pointed out the flu shot as well and throughout my comments have been discredited and or called a conspiracy theorist. So please save your energy and level of patience it will be needed.

I don't believe that black people in the USA are dying at a disproportionate rate in the USA. Only 23% of the total deaths is the figure they are using. Testing all people isn't what is happening. The data and better analysis need to be done overall.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,606,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I hear you in getting out but it truly is want vs need for a lot of things. People who are terrified and angry that not 100% of people around them are masked and who are high risk might still want to avoid the trips to the home improvement stores. I have gotten out too and am glad to do it. I wear a mask but feel no anger towards those who don’t. Glad to hear about your lowered cholesterol too. That is great!
Right. Elsewhere I was reading someone completely flipping put that on her trip, everyone wasn't doing everything to make her safe. I'm like you're going to give yourself a stroke. Order what you need to and avoid. Pick it up curbside, whatever works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events