Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 11:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Why would recovery be news? It's long been said that 80% of people will have a minor illness. Which is good, however it also means a lot of people don't know they have it and pass it to more vulnerable people.

Currently 4% of people in Italy are dying with it. That is insane. Their cases are going up, and up. God knows what's happening in Iran.
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Not 4 percent of the people in Italy. Four percent of the people who have coronavirus in Italy. That's less than 0.02 percent of the population who have tested positive for the virus. LESS THAN 0.0008 PERCENT OF THE POPULATION OF ITALY HAS DIED FROM CORONAVIRUS.

That's not 1 percent. That's not 0.1 percent. That's not 0.01 one percent. That's not even 0.001 percent!!!!!!

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

https://percentagecalculator.net/

Here - you can do the math too. For reference, the population of Italy is 60,048,000 million people. Four percent of that would be 2,401,920 deaths - not 463 deaths.

Good gravy.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:12 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I wonder how long it will be before NYC shuts the subway down. I know they have been working hard to clean it, but a typical subway car is a petri dish of bacteria, and New York City’s subway is especially potent. A 2016 survey of the subway found a whopping two million “colony forming units” (viable bacteria cells) per square inch. (By contrast, Boston’s subway has only 10 CFUs per square inch.) One reason for this disparity: New York’s subway system transports three times as many people as the next four biggest U.S. transit systems combined.

On top of that, they say Covid-19 can live longer on objects than other viruses.

https://www.travelmath.com/feature/p...giene-exposed/
NYC shutting down the subway? That will never happen. People wouldn't be able to get to work and that's all they care about. I believe I read that they sanitize the handrails and turnstiles every 45 mins or something like that but in between those times, so many people go through them. It's just not enough but I guess it's better than not at all.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What would they be searching body cavities for exactly?
Explosives, counter chemical agents, maybe even something that a family member desires intensely. Who knows?

The point is that if I have charge of such a situation, I am operating under that what a person says they are, what they say their intentions are, that they have intense love in their heart to be with their family, whatever.......

.........all comes under I don't know you from Adam and we check everything, trust nothing.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:15 AM

Oh my gosh. This is exactly what I was most afraid of concerning the coronavirus. Not the virus itself, but the reaction to it.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll repeat:

China has 1.386 BILLION people. Out of that number, about 3100 people have died of the virus. That's a tiny percentage of the actual population. Heck, 80,000 people with the virus is still a tiny percentage of the overall population.

To be exact (and this will probably disappoint some people):
0.0007 percent of Chinese were sick enough to be tested for coronavirus and tested positive.
0.0000275 percent of the Chinese population has died from coronavirus.

So right - I really don't think that friends of friends of acquaintances who later test positive should be quarantined for two weeks.

Well, they put 60 MILLION people in quarantine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
NYC shutting down the subway? That will never happen. People wouldn't be able to get to work and that's all they care about. I believe I read that they sanitize the handrails and turnstiles every 45 mins or something like that but in between those times, so many people go through them. It's just not enough but I guess it's better than not at all.
Cuomo just deployed the national guard to quarantine part of New York. This is getting totally bizarre.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Just heard on news that 70 of the 200 employees at Life Care center in Kirkland, Washington had been sent home because they have exhibited symptoms of being sick. None of the 200 employees there have been tested. They site lack of test kit availability.

Many of the elderly patients there haven't even been tested, besides the one who have died or are in serous condition.

Unbelievable! This is really an epic failure going on in US.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, they put 60 MILLION people in quarantine.
For starters, they CAN do that because they are a totalitarian society.

Secondly, to be fair, China SHOULD try to get a grip on this - "they started it." And it's true, they did.

And finally, they put less than 1 percent of their population in quarantine. But if you watch the news, you'd think that most or even all of China was under some sort of quarantine.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-10-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-10-2020, 11:20 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Whats going on in New Rochelle? Is that related to the Westchester lawyer?
I just watched our governor talk about this so I'm paraphrasing.

The containment area is a circle within the 1 mile area of the epicenter of the outbreak.
This doesn't mean that people within that containment area can't leave the area.
It's only places that can hold a large group of people, schools, churches, recreational facilities that are closed down.

Now here's where it get's confusing. Stores will be open but the National Guard will be bringing in food supplies.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:22 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I just watched our governor talk about this so I'm paraphrasing.

The containment area is a circle within the 1 mile area of the epicenter of the outbreak.
This doesn't mean that people within that containment area can't leave the area.
It's only places that can hold a large group of people, schools, churches, recreational facilities that are closed down.

Now here's where it get's confusing. Stores will be open but the National Guard will be bringing in food supplies.
So, it's a fake quarantine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events