Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Hope not. US hasn't had big jump today in new cases, for what that's worth.
I have been reading that so many people are being told to just go home and self quarantine and they don't test them.
I guess you have to be in real bad shape to get a test.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Correct. Medical care in the UK is so different in many aspects. When I first moved to the US I remember thinking adverts and billboards for hospitals was so bizarre. I still think vaccinating for chicken pox is odd.

The flu shot is recommended only for those in high risk categories in the UK.

Also, he referenced 12 weeks because the Prime Minister said the virus would be curbed by 12 weeks. A number, I believe, he literally pulled from his backside.
I just checked the UKs COVID stats. They look better than ours are looking, that's for sure.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Old 03-20-2020, 07:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I can't bear to watch. Cites from the poster above mentioned 'surveys' to companies to see if they could help. Ventilators are complicated pieces of equipment, with long lead times. That will be problematic.

But right now we're got hospitals begging for masks. Even sewing machines probably are made in China. In many places, we're out of testing swabs. There needs to be a massive reorganization of key supply chains, and I've very little confidence that is happening.

And that takes me back to my fruit. Seems I forgot to wash the bananas. The Chinese prize fresh foods and even Wuhan was supplied regularly with greens. Consumers there wouldn't have had to worry about someone coughing on their produce because the packager would have had a mask on. That's another key industry to 'protect.'
I cant relate to your inability to bear to watch information.

Sure ventilators are perhaps complicated and will not magically appear overnight. That being said, there are apparently ventilators used for anesthesia for normal elective surgeries which are being cancelled that can be repurposed if necessary.

Testing swabs seems to be one of those things which is a logistical/communcication problem.......we'll see.

As for your fresh fruit, sorry I am unsympathetic lol. By canned, frozen or jarred if neccesary. I reccomend Dole jarred pineapple slices. They are quite tasty in the absence of fresh.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The warning was NOT because they got the flu shot. It was because the same high risk group who get flu shots in the UK are the ones most at risk for complications including death if they get Covid 19. So they’re the group who should self isolate and take all precautions they can. That’s what was being suggested.

The Flu shot does not increase your risk of getting Covid 19 or your risk of complications if you do.
Wrong. I don't know if it does & you don't know if it doesn't. But we DO know it increases our risk of coronavirus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31607599

Now what would you rather people do if they are on the fence about getting their flu shot? Are you one of those "oh the flu is so much worse" people or would you rather err on the side of caution until they know specifically about COVID?

Cause last time I checked; COVID is a coronavirus. Last I checked; China had a mass-immunization campaign in December & last I checked; Italy started mandatory immunizations in 2016. Children are suspected 'superspreaders' for COVID. Children in the US, this year; were given not one but TWO flu shots this season.

If COVID 'counts' as a coronavirus the flu shot can make worse; the US just created superspreaders on steroids. I kinda do not think anybody should be getting a flu shot right now, given the available research.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:53 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

Sure ventilators are perhaps complicated and will not magically appear overnight. That being said, there are apparently ventilators used for anesthesia for normal elective surgeries which are being cancelled that can be repurposed if necessary.

Testing swabs seems to be one of those things which is a logistical/communcication problem.......we'll see.

As for your fresh fruit, sorry I am unsympathetic lol. By canned, frozen or jarred if neccesary. I reccomend Dole jarred pineapple slices. They are quite tasty in the absence of fresh.
I appreciate this is a lot for everyone deal with. It's not a laughing matter, although humor at times can be a helpful buffer. The reality is it will change our way of life, hopefully for a shorter than protracted period. Time will tell.

The fresh fruit question actually was raised by another poster - I just finished my grapes. But the point is an important one - for it is emblematic of our inability to deal with the ramifications of this disease. IF there is no CDC guidance that even seemingly 'healthy' individuals should attempt to cover their mouths and noses somehow when selecting fruit for a delivery then Covid-19 will continue to spread. It is that simple. You can bet your booties the Chinese had that covered with that a bad pun.

That may not be a major disease vector, but multiple that by all the folks crowding into grocery stores also without even homemade masks and ... Houston We Have A Problem.

I believe this because I've been following the epidemiology closely from the beginning, and based on science (not what I was 'told') made several fortuitous decisions. I do find it hard to watch the rambling press conferences that strike me as a train wreck. But because they provide a personal indicator of how bad it might get I watch for a while. For example, I just now sent a text to my brother to please leave his inner city high rise condo with elevators to come here.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

It's depressing. There is X amount that we need and 24/7 inundation of way more, and the same thing repeated over and over.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Perhaps it's time we think about paying grocery store workers a living wage, then. They are risking a lot to be doing what they are doing now.
Well, everyone would like more, but their pay is not too shabby.
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Safeway/s...cation=US%2FCO
"Salary information comes from 832 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months."

Do note that as of Jan. 1 the minimum wage in Colorado increased to $12.00/hr so some salaries may be higher now.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
My gut feeling is that it's too early to firmly draw any such conclusion and that, right now, international air travel, starting from China possibly as early as November, certainly since December, and right up to the first ten days or so March outweighs most other factors in global spread.

We won't know for sure until most of the world is on "lock down" for at least a month, probably two, and then continuing tight international (and domestic) travel restrictions, or at least strict screening, right through the summer months in the northern hemisphere, and restrictions on travel from southern hemisphere if they experience increasing numbers of cases.

All the best!
Well if the epidemic continues through the summer, it will be the first in history to do that. But as the article points out, all indications are it will not.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Wrong. I don't know if it does & you don't know if it doesn't. But we DO know it increases our risk of coronavirus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31607599

Now what would you rather people do if they are on the fence about getting their flu shot? Are you one of those "oh the flu is so much worse" people or would you rather err on the side of caution until they know specifically about COVID?

Cause last time I checked; COVID is a coronavirus. Last I checked; China had a mass-immunization campaign in December & last I checked; Italy started mandatory immunizations in 2016. Children are suspected 'superspreaders' for COVID. Children in the US, this year; were given not one but TWO flu shots this season.

If COVID 'counts' as a coronavirus the flu shot can make worse; the US just created superspreaders on steroids. I kinda do not think anybody should be getting a flu shot right now, given the available research.
As you have been told many times, this study was done in 2017-18 and does not include the present COVID-19 virus. Quit spreading disinformation.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:06 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I've always done that with most of my produce when I get home. What I cannot scrub I run under the hottest sink water. It was more for the salmonella/listeria crap that was making people sick.
They sell an organic spray on vegetable soap. I buy it on Amazon but it’s in the produce section of many grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events