Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If the US could be so lucky to have just 202 cases. Again of course it can be transmitted anywhere in the world. But it is not a significant problem in warm weather climates, and all scientific evidence is that it won't be.
There is no evidence for the bold.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:31 PM

42 posts, read 53,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If the US could be so lucky to have just 202 cases. Again of course it can be transmitted anywhere in the world. But it is not a significant problem in warm weather climates, and all scientific evidence is that it won't be.
It's only evidence that they aren't testing, much like here. A lot of the uptick we're seeing now is simply an increase in testing. Hell, a week ago most states didn't even know a process to get someone tested. Completely and utterly a failure and sad when we had 3 months to prep.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Not trying to be difficult but now confused. I'm the one currently eating fresh fruit - albeit after washing it with soap and water - a step that I decided to take on my very own for I doubt there's any official guidance. Are you advocating for now eating only canned? If so, why?

If the answer is that it's likely to have been contaminated by being unpackaged in a grocery store then why would a human being walking into a grocery story unpackaged (i.e., not surrounded by those who do not have any barrier that would prevent them from spreading covid-19) not be equally problematic?

I can wash a virus off a banana (theoretically) but not out of me. Again, I'm not making light of this. The larger point is that 'guidance' is vague - and I doubt that the spread of covid-19 will stop by relying on the "common sense" of an uninformed public.
Personally, I am no longer buying fresh fruits or veggies unless I plan to cook them.

Not saying they are unsafe if you wash them, just not taking that chance for myself and my family.

i am using and/or buying in the future canned and or frozen fruits/veggies that were packaged before this outbreak or that I can heat to boiling before I eat.

Based on info I have read that if you ingest the virus your stomach acid will destroy it. YMMV.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:54 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That is why I don't understand why people keep wanting to go out to the store for fresh produce. Not just because of stupid teens, but any unwrapped foods have been breathed on by any number of people. Not for me.
You have to boil all food! Somehow news never mention this...Forget about salads for a while....

Old 03-20-2020, 10:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Looking ahead. Maybe not as bad as feared?

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...viruss-us-toll

Old 03-20-2020, 10:57 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Several of the countries most active with cases lately such as Spain, Italy, UK, Iran, France and US all showed some hopeful signs of flattening the curve today when compared to yesterday.

Let's keep it up everyone!
I don't know why you are including the US on that list. We are not flattening out by any stretch of the imagination. It's running completely out of control in this country.

2020 coronavirus pandemic in the United States - Wikipedia

Old 03-20-2020, 11:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
In Tennessee, coronavirus cases by age so far:

0-10: 3
11-20: 12
21-30: 72
31-40: 47
41-50: 35
51-60: 26
61-70: 16
71-80: 13
81+: 4

That's actually a pretty "good" age distribution, as the majority of cases are among an age group that has the lowest death rate - young adults. 52% of cases are people aged 21 to 40; the death rate among adults under 40 is only 0.2% or so vs. 15% for people aged 80+.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:02 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Personally, I am no longer buying fresh fruits or veggies unless I plan to cook them.

Not saying they are unsafe if you wash them, just not taking that chance for myself and my family.

i am using and/or buying in the future canned and or frozen fruits/veggies that were packaged before this outbreak or that I can heat to boiling before I eat.

Based on info I have read that if you ingest the virus your stomach acid will destroy it. YMMV.
I agree. I will buy veggies, but cook them - the fruits are something else, you have to eat them as is but we wash them thoroughly. Frozen veggies/fruits are great - they were packaged at their peak of freshness. We don't know how the food was handled before we get them, even in the "before" times.

The other day, a clerk dropped a package of plastic lunchmeat on the floor and usually I wouldn't make a deal of it, but I just told him that it dropped on the floor and I would just go get another one. I explained to him that usually I would just go home and clean it but right now, the way things are, it is better to be safe than sorry and he fully understood and was nice about it. I was with a relative and she said that I made too big a deal of it, maybe...

Last edited by coolgato; 03-20-2020 at 11:11 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is an excellent post.

You know what I heard someone say one time - and I actually heard this: A woman had lost her home and two of her children in a fire. I cannot even imagine the devastation. And some "friend" of hers actually said this to her: "You know, it could be worse - I knew a woman one time who lost four kids in a fire."

Good grief.

We have all experienced losses this past week that we really didn't see coming and didn't have time to prepare for, generally. Let's be kind to each other.

Today I spent some time with a friend and get this - she wasn't even THINKING about the coronavirus and you know why? Because her husband is really sick (not with coronavirus). He's elderly and he's been sick awhile but is slowly getting worse, and she is so sad about this. She's younger than him and is realizing that he's probably not going to be around that much longer and that she will probably be a widow. She's always known this was a possibility in theory but now it's real to her, and it's scary. Coronavirus is the last thing on her mind.
I've kept this with me for most of my life..............."I was angry that my hands were cold and I had no gloves...........until I met a man who had no hands"

Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
In Tennessee, coronavirus cases by age so far:

0-10: 3
11-20: 12
21-30: 72
31-40: 47
41-50: 35
51-60: 26
61-70: 16
71-80: 13
81+: 4

That's actually a pretty "good" age distribution, as the majority of cases are among an age group that has the lowest death rate - young adults. 52% of cases are people aged 21 to 40; the death rate among adults under 40 is only 0.2% or so vs. 15% for people aged 80+.
WOW, that really shakes things up - the younger people think they have nothing to worry about, well some of them think they are immortal, but they don't know that they could (or maybe they do know and don't care) be the reason that someone suffers greatly or dies later. The highest infected group is that age group and they are still partying, going to their friends' homes because they are bored, hanging out together all day. I watched an interview with some idiot on spring break and he said that if he gets coronavirus, he gets it, and he doesn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events