Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 10:20 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t think the WHO organization acted fast enough. I’m not sure where I read but the term pandemic was in that article, maybe NYT.
Of course WHO didn't act fast enough. They are more concerned about China's pathetic face than public health. The current Director-General owed his tenure to Chinese endorsement and he is paying it back by endorsing China's outstanding effort in containing the virus when it's obviously out of control. The organisation is a useless piece of ****.

Quote:
And to add insult to injury, I've read yesterday that people from Wuhan are treated like they have some kind of leprosy by the rest of the country. When they find themselves in different provinces ( and they do, since about 5 million of them left Wuhan for that Lunar New Year vacation before the lockdown of the city, or before anyone realized the severity of situation,) they can't get rooms in hotels, they are denied services and so on.
Typical Chinese behaviour. When foreigners dare say a word about them they get laughably triggered, but when their own people run into trouble they quickly turn their back against them. I don't want to say it's karma, but it's karma.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Of course WHO didn't act fast enough. They are more concerned about China's pathetic face than public health. The current Director-General owed his tenure to Chinese endorsement and he is paying it back by endorsing China's outstanding effort in containing the virus when it's obviously out of control. The organisation is a useless piece of ****.

Agree on WHO.

Particularly when I keep on seeing that repetitive message of theirs "don't forget to wash your hands" in Twitter ( or wherever) as the "form of control of the disease."

Yep.

Quote:
Typical Chinese behaviour. When foreigners dare say a word about them they get laughably triggered, but when their own people run into trouble they quickly turn their back against them. I don't want to say it's karma, but it's karma.
Gawd.

That poor girl who wrote the letter to her compatriots - she felt like she had to apologize - " none of us knew what was going on when we left the city. We didn't do it on purpose."

I mean c'mon, it's your own people in trouble. And she has to apologize? Really?
You are right, must be a karma.

P.S. On a bright note, I checked with a friend today who went to my fav. Chinese buffet yesterday.
He said it's busy as usual.

People are not turning their backs on their favorite place - either that, or the locals here are just too oblivious to everything what's going on internationally.

In any case I was happy to hear that; the business is not going to be hit - that was my concern.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Oh this is nice. They plan on bringing more Coronavirus here. Right to my city actually. Or should I say more potential coronavirus. MORE evacuees. Why are they doing this backwards?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...ases-air-force

"The bases selected were: Travis Air Force Base in Solano County, Calif.; Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego County, Calif.; Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas; and the 168th Regiment Regional Training Institute at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colo."

I have also heard that more of the evacuees in California have now tested positive for Coronavirus but now I can't find that link.

I feel like this is being handled backwards. I do not trust the "authorities" at all.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:31 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh this is nice. They plan on bringing more Coronavirus here. Right to my city actually. Or should I say more potential coronavirus. MORE evacuees. Why are they doing this backwards?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...ases-air-force

"The bases selected were: Travis Air Force Base in Solano County, Calif.; Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego County, Calif.; Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas; and the 168th Regiment Regional Training Institute at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colo."

I have also heard that more of the evacuees in California have now tested positive for Coronavirus but now I can't find that link.

I feel like this is being handled backwards. I do not trust the "authorities" at all.
I cannot find an reports of any of the evacuees having tested positive.

You might consider locating your source before posting here.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

But you are not just a foreigner, and you are a Taiwanese with years of China bashing history here.

Only idiots believe China prevented WHO taking actions. In fact China took serious actions much earlier (although still too late).

Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

LOL, excuse me? That would be better than the 11 travelers but looks like not.

The CDC has not utilized their 20 ports of entry and land-border crossings. They haven't followed their own guidelines & there have been two person-person transmissions here.

It would be better if they had been evacuees.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:04 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Here's a tip in case this virus does become a pandemic. I have heard two different messages regarding sneezing and coughing. Some experts say that people with the virus should cough into their elbow, a few experts say to use a tissue, immediately throw it away and wash hands.

The former is fine for a regular cold, but the latter is best practice with this virus given that the virus can remain active on surfaces for 2-5 days. No one needs to be carrying the virus around on elbows and clothing.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:13 AM

167 posts, read 190,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Here's a tip in case this virus does become a pandemic. I have heard two different messages regarding sneezing and coughing. Some experts say that people with the virus should cough into their elbow, a few experts say to use a tissue, immediately throw it away and wash hands.

The former is fine for a regular cold, but the latter is best practice with this virus given that the virus can remain active on surfaces for 2-5 days. No one needs to be carrying the virus around on elbows and clothing.
Elbow is still better than into the hands. Ugh hate when people do that.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
There is a podcast "This Week in Virology", aka TWIV. The folks in the conversation are all university virologists. They are chatty about stuff like the weather in the opening, then they dig into professional papers. The last two editions are about this virus and last over an hour. If you are interested in the science of contagious viruses this is excellent.

Notable is that they don't think locking down large population centers is effective or wise.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Actually the new case in CA this morning, a man that was screened on Jan 24, when he arrived. He was declared not infected, and released. He developed symptoms the following day, and now is wife is infected as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events