Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 08:59 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Some of them, some of the time. She's supposedly 2nd year and I don't think they're in hospitals at that stage yet.
Icahn School of Medicine, Mt. Sinai:

"Clinical Training
Rare among medical schools, we explicitly blur the lines between pre-clinical and clinical years by integrating the basic sciences across courses as well as introducing students to the clinical environment from their very first day of school."

Old 02-17-2021, 09:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Everyone has reasons as to why they feel the way they do and I dont think one should necessarily feel their opinion is superior. Take someone like me, I view the world a much different place than you do. You have very logical, well thought out opinions about Covid and even though I understand the basis of your opinion, I dont agree. I am not saying that you are wrong, I just interpret the data differently than you do for instance. Given the fact that I feel the percentage of death is minimal from Covid, I take that as an opportunity to get our population in check, I personally feel that this world is overpopulated and we need to stop playing God and let nature perform its own method of population control. That said, I dont agree with helmet and seatbelt laws, I think suicide and abortion should be legal (even though I disagree), I dont believe in resuscitating overdoes cases, etc. I try to leave emotion out of decision making because I dont it always allows for rational decisions. I am not about purposefully killing people, but rather just let people live how they want and let it happen when its their time. I am not saying this is the right or wrong way to view life, just my opinion.
If we were just talking about opinions there might be something to that.

The problem is though we are talking about facts. Here are a few:

1. The virus has killed almost half a million Americans.
2. We've given about 60 million doses of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine in America.
3. It would be hard to prove that a single death has occurred in America because of these vaccines.
4. Untold tens of thousands of people will suffer physical complications in the future because of damage done to their bodies by the coronavirus.
5. The virus is keeping much of the economy moving at an anemic pace. Only mass vaccination can end that.

That particular poster routinely makes assertions like the vaccine is as dangerous as the virus. Not true. That is simply objectively non-factual. It is not an opinion. It is a fact, given that 60 million doses of vaccine have been given in this country and there are very, very limited reports of significant side effects.

Just a suggestion. I wouldn't go around making your argument that "the virus is just a form of population control". I doubt you'll be very popular if you do that. People may have some other uncomplimentary things to say.

Finally, there is nothing rational about not vaccinating--unless you have an allergy to vaccines. Frankly, its the only way out of this mess for America and the rest of the world. The delays in vaccinating have already resulted in viral variants that may yet end up causing much more grief than we can imagine.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:09 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
I think this is positive news about B.1.1.7 (Eric Topol):

Quote:
We thought B.1.1.7's increased infectiousness was due to higher viral load. New data from
@NBA. players and staff, with frequent sampling, suggests it's related to delayed clearance, longer duration of infections
https://dash.harvard.edu/handle/1/37366884…
https://twitter.com/EricTopol
If B.1.1.7 doesn't arrive with a higher viral load that should mean the current masking and social distancing recommendations will be as efficacious for that variant as for original covid.

BUT mitigation is more important than ever due to higher probability any one positive case will be in close proximity - since that one person is infectious for a longer period.

The current quarantine periods might need to be readjusted. Still it suggests (to me) those who follow public health guidance should continue to have some protection; those who don't more likely than before to get infected.

It also solves the "higher viral load" and virulence mystery: why if B.1.1.7 resulted in a higher dose of SARS-CoV-2 weren't more becoming severely ill? (The overall verdict on virulence remains out, but there doesn't so far appear to be a clear pattern, with mixed reports.)

Old 02-17-2021, 09:10 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The article itself says that the state health department and the CDC are looking into the death. What other than science do you think they're going to use to investigate it?

181 million shots of the vaccine have been given worldwide. For the death rate to approach Covid-19 there would need to be a million people who've already dropped dead after getting the vaccine. Yet even the numbers peddled by anti-vaxxers are vastly lower.
Well they have been "looking into the deaths" since the vaccinations started and so far have released no info on any of the deaths.

They also took a while to admit that severe reactions to the vaccine are higher than normal.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I could deal with the fact better. I wouldn’t forgive myself if I got deathly sick from the vaccine or ended up on my way to dying from it. With Covid I could at least say okay I let nature take its course it is what it is

Nature taking its course is kinda rare in our modern environment.

I think we forfeited this strategy by signing on to the internet this AM.

Would you have an operation to repair a broken leg or instead be guided by fear of getting a lethal infection from such a procedure and simply let nature take its course?

Old 02-17-2021, 09:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my mom got her 2nd vaccine tomorrow, she said she has a headache and feels tired today.
spoke to my mom this morning. so yesterday she spent the day watching tv dosing off periodically. this morning she is almost fully recovered, a little more tired than normal but she sounded normal. she said there is just some soreness in her arm.

she is babysitting for us this weekend. hopefully the vaccine doesnt make her into a homicidal maniac zombie.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:29 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Stuff happens and sometimes it is nothing more than bad timing.
There are statistical techniques to suss that out from the data. I'm sure the data are being examined by statisticians.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There are statistical techniques to suss that out from the data. I'm sure the data are being examined by statisticians.
I'm sure. People expect immediate answers, and sometimes you just have to wait.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-17-2021, 09:31 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Everyone has reasons as to why they feel the way they do and I dont think one should necessarily feel their opinion is superior.
Your feelings are 100% irrelevant.

Feelings have nothing to do with it. The problem is that some people think feelings are relevant. They are not.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Influenza rates compared to years past make a useful control group for approximating the efficacy of masking, social distancing, and other efforts to mitigate COVID-19.

Here in Minnesota, so far this flu season of 2020-21 - which we're approximately halfway through - we've seen a total of 32 hospitalizations and 5 fatalities. For the previous decade, the lowest total for any single flu season was 2011-12, which saw 556 hospitalizations/42 deaths. The average over that decade was ~2800 hospitalizations/~180 deaths.

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/Mi...573776841.html
Wow! What a difference. Only five deaths, half way through flu season vs. an average of 180 deaths per year!
We are finding similar results in Wisconsin, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events