Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:38 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
What's even worse is that most of Disney's products are copied from Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen. Whose stories were originally violent, depressing, or both; they were "sanitized" in the 20th century, even before Disney was established. If those authors hadn't been dead for centuries, Disney would have been charged with plagiarism. Even worse, Disney totally swindled Alan Alexander Milne, author of "Winnie the Pooh" books, when they wouldn't let him have the ownership of his characters back. They also added characters, like Darby the girl and Buster the dog, that weren't in the original books.

Even my favorite Disney movie "Homeward Bound: the Incredible Journey" was based on the book by Sheila Burnford. Ditto for "Lion King"; I'm sure it was copied from somewhere, possibly African folktales. In short, few or none of Disney's products are original creations. I'm questioning whether Disney paid the rightful royalties when the shoe was on the other foot.
And then Disney lobbied congress to extend their copyright protection to 120 years, so no one else can copy their work. The Disney empire was created by copying other people's work, but they don't want anyone copying their work. They have set themselves up as an entertainment monopoly, for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 PM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And then Disney lobbied congress to extend their copyright protection to 120 years, so no one else can copy their work. The Disney empire was created by copying other people's work, but they don't want anyone copying their work. They have set themselves up as an entertainment monopoly, for the foreseeable future.
This is why I was so against Disney buying Star Wars and now Fox. I also saw video of George Lucas signing away his life work to the monopoly, and he looks really upset and has me wondering did Disney pay off congress or the FBI/CIA to dig up dirt on George Lucas and then use it as blackmail to force him to sell? Maybe the same with Fox? Maybe they were really after the news networks, but there are strict laws in place that the same company cannot own more than one news outlet and broadcast station, so until the laws change, they can only own Disney.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:49 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't hate Disney, but I think they are greedy...

As a school principal, we were warned early on about Disney and showing its films.
I don't think they are greedy. They're like every other company, university, manufacturer, professional sports teams, etc, trying to protect their brand and profit from their brand. They are no different than clothing and purse brands that have to fight off counterfeiters.

We deal with licensed products every day and it is amazing how many people think they can just make a buck off of someone else's work without their permission or without paying them any compensation. The companies that are allowed to use/sell/show another company's work have to be approved, sign contracts and have to pay licensing fees and royalties.

I don't know, I'm just surprised that people don't know this.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Absurd?

Hardly, rules are rules, have no sympathy in this situation. Stop trying to shake Disney.

$250 is a slap on the wrist considering how much worse they could have gotten punished.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/2020...-23918600.html

A $250 fine seems very reasonable to me. Money was raised at the event correct? How much? I would bet it was much more than $250. Patents and copyrights are there for a reason.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:35 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Absurd?

Hardly, rules are rules, have no sympathy in this situation. Stop trying to shake Disney.

$250 is a slap on the wrist considering how much worse they could have gotten punished.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/2020...-23918600.html
You think this is bad? Try taking your guitar to a club and playing cover songs. You better be 100% certain that the establishment has the proper license to allow those songs to be played, or the songwriters union will sue you, and they don’t care how small the venue is!

Old 02-08-2020, 10:57 PM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't think they are greedy. They're like every other company, university, manufacturer, professional sports teams, etc, trying to protect their brand and profit from their brand. They are no different than clothing and purse brands that have to fight off counterfeiters.

We deal with licensed products every day and it is amazing how many people think they can just make a buck off of someone else's work without their permission or without paying them any compensation. The companies that are allowed to use/sell/show another company's work have to be approved, sign contracts and have to pay licensing fees and royalties.

I don't know, I'm just surprised that people don't know this.
LOL! Disney has been making billions off of stolen goods and refuse to pay any royalties. They moved their animation studios to South Korea so they don't have to worry about the regulations and wages that an American worker would demand. They pay off Congress to create things like the H1B1 work Visa so they can hire cheap foreign labor instead of hiring actual Americans. And in doing this, they get out of paying SS, workman's comp and other things that go into hiring a legal citizen of America. Disney is a very greedy and power hungry company. And their CEO, Bob Iger, looks to be leaving next year to pursue a career in public office. Why bother paying Congress off when you can get your own sleeper cell in there.

Ever seen the movie Demolition Man? There is a stint in it about the franchise wars. Back then, they assumed Taco Bell would be the big company, but now it's looking like it will be either Disney or ATT in the end.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
LOL! Disney has been making billions off of stolen goods and refuse to pay any royalties. They moved their animation studios to South Korea so they don't have to worry about the regulations and wages that an American worker would demand. They pay off Congress to create things like the H1B1 work Visa so they can hire cheap foreign labor instead of hiring actual Americans. And in doing this, they get out of paying SS, workman's comp and other things that go into hiring a legal citizen of America. Disney is a very greedy and power hungry company. And their CEO, Bob Iger, looks to be leaving next year to pursue a career in public office. Why bother paying Congress off when you can get your own sleeper cell in there.
Disney's animation studios are in Burbank California.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Disney's animation studios are in Burbank California.
Disney has animation ventures in a number of countries.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:56 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Disney has animation ventures in a number of countries.
The poster I was responding to claimed Disney moved their animation studios to South Korea to avoid US regulations and wages. They didn't.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The poster I was responding to claimed Disney moved their animation studios to South Korea to avoid US regulations and wages. They didn't.
Yeah, I believe Disney's animation is done by Pixar Animation Studios in Emeryville, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events