Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2021, 09:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,159,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think most people are smart enough not to see the OJ Simpson case as typical of the legal system.
It seems typical to me. Money buys justice. Steal $1k and go to jail for years. If you are a billionaire, you can rape kids as part of a pedo ring and found innocent every year. The Catholic Church altar boy rape club or Jeff Epstein’s teen rape ring is just another thing. The Catholic priests are still going free. The trillion dollar Catholic Church pays for it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 09:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,099,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That's precisely my point. The mailbox was NOT on his property. It was on the street right-of-way. So any comparison to a mailbox on state/county property and what someone builds on their own property is an apples to elephants comparison.
What exactly is your point? That his mailbox was built exactly where it was supposed to be?

Old 06-27-2021, 10:27 PM

13,566 posts, read 7,532,326 times
Quote:
I think most people are smart enough not to see the OJ Simpson case as typical of the legal system.
OJ was an example of how unlimited money can buy you the best representation. You claim to be an attorney you actually think working class people get good representation? You really drank your own cool-aid when it came to US legal system. I guess that's to be expected by attorneys? Why do 90% of Americans plea deal criminal charges??? The system is rigged against them perfect example NE Patriots Owner Robert Kraft beats the Florida DA, but the same sting operation was run a year before caught several patrons at different massage parlors all of them took plea-deals $5000 fine and 100 hours of community service. They didn't have the deep pockets to challenge the warrant to install hidden cameras looking for crimes hadn't been committed. I believe in some of these states if you get caught could end up on a sex offenders list in this case DA and police claimed the massage place was using underage Chinese nationals. Working class people need to find jobs afterwards can't be on a sex offender list Robert Kraft he can risk it his life isn't going to change just like Epstein's previous conviction and registering as an offender his life hardly changed until he was charged again.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:17 PM

14,484 posts, read 14,457,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
OJ was an example of how unlimited money can buy you the best representation. You claim to be an attorney you actually think working class people get good representation? You really drank your own cool-aid when it came to US legal system. I guess that's to be expected by attorneys? Why do 90% of Americans plea deal criminal charges??? The system is rigged against them perfect example NE Patriots Owner Robert Kraft beats the Florida DA, but the same sting operation was run a year before caught several patrons at different massage parlors all of them took plea-deals $5000 fine and 100 hours of community service. They didn't have the deep pockets to challenge the warrant to install hidden cameras looking for crimes hadn't been committed. I believe in some of these states if you get caught could end up on a sex offenders list in this case DA and police claimed the massage place was using underage Chinese nationals. Working class people need to find jobs afterwards can't be on a sex offender list Robert Kraft he can risk it his life isn't going to change just like Epstein's previous conviction and registering as an offender his life hardly changed until he was charged again.
OJ is an example of how wealth, fame, and race all played into a situation that resulted in a not guilty verdict by a jury for someone who was clearly guilty. It was more than just money. And, ultimately it was the average people who sat on the jury who found him not guilty.

I really could care less about the Kraft situation. Kraft was a patron of a massage parlor. In the scheme of things any crime he committed was fairly insignificant. I do think if you are going to penalize criminal misconduct that the person who provides this service is more guilty than a patron is. Just as I believe a drug supplier is more responsible than a customer is. Personally, though, I would decriminalize the services that Kraft got if it was up to me.

I honestly feel no particular need to defend the system at this point. Its the system we have whether either of us likes it or not.

Really, just out of curiosity if you could have your way what would you do? Would you not allow OJ to hire the attorneys that he had wanted too? Would you not allow Kraft to do the same thing? Would you require the taxpayers to pay for equivalent legal services for all poor and indigent persons? The Constitution's Sixth Amendment requires that we provide counsel to the indigent. The courts have developed tests to define whether such representation constitutes effective representation or not. It guarantees at least a certain minimal level of representation.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:45 PM

13,566 posts, read 7,532,326 times
Quote:
OJ is an example of how wealth, fame, and race all played into a situation that resulted in a not guilty verdict by a jury for someone who was clearly guilty. It was more than just money. And, ultimately it was the average people who sat on the jury who found him not guilty.

I really could care less about the Kraft situation. Kraft was a patron of a massage parlor. In the scheme of things any crime he committed was fairly insignificant. I do think if you are going to penalize criminal misconduct that the person who provides this service is more guilty than a patron is. Just as I believe a drug supplier is more responsible than a customer is. Personally, though, I would decriminalize the services that Kraft got if it was up to me.

I honestly feel no particular need to defend the system at this point. Its the system we have whether either of us likes it or not.

Really, just out of curiosity if you could have your way what would you do? Would you not allow OJ to hire the attorneys that he had wanted too? Would you not allow Kraft to do the same thing? Would you require the taxpayers to pay for equivalent legal services for all poor and indigent persons? The Constitution's Sixth Amendment requires that we provide counsel to the indigent. The courts have developed tests to define whether such representation constitutes effective representation or not. It guarantees at least a certain minimal level of representation.
I would require any DA who is found guilty of misconduct such as withholding evidence be sent to Prison. Any case where a defendant is found innocent all their attorney fees are paid for, and an automatic payment of restitution to the defendant for pain and suffering. My statements about OJ had nothing to do with the details of OJ's case it was about how wealthy have much higher chance of winning legal battles then working class people that goes for criminal or civil.

On the Civil side plaintiff should have to pay the defendant the same damages they were asking for if they lose that would put an end to frivolous lawsuits. Attorneys are not allowed to represent themselves in a civil lawsuit they have to hire an attorney. I have personally seen attorneys file frivolous lawsuits where they know the attorney fees are going to be more then just settling with a defendant.

I'm sure there is more I can't think of right now again Kraft's case wasn't the point of what I was saying because he has the deep pockets he was able to beat the system. I agree lot of things should be decriminalized.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:49 AM

6,165 posts, read 3,881,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What exactly is your point? That his mailbox was built exactly where it was supposed to be?
Sorry that I can't draw you a picture, but if you can understand words, I'll try to explain it in simple terms. A homeowner can build whatever he wants and however he wants it on his own property as long as it doesn't violate zoning laws or deed restrictions. However, a homeowner doesn't have the right to build anything he wants and however he wants to build it on property he does NOT own. Capisce?

Old 06-28-2021, 07:06 AM

14,484 posts, read 14,457,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I would require any DA who is found guilty of misconduct such as withholding evidence be sent to Prison. Any case where a defendant is found innocent all their attorney fees are paid for, and an automatic payment of restitution to the defendant for pain and suffering. My statements about OJ had nothing to do with the details of OJ's case it was about how wealthy have much higher chance of winning legal battles then working class people that goes for criminal or civil.

On the Civil side plaintiff should have to pay the defendant the same damages they were asking for if they lose that would put an end to frivolous lawsuits. Attorneys are not allowed to represent themselves in a civil lawsuit they have to hire an attorney. I have personally seen attorneys file frivolous lawsuits where they know the attorney fees are going to be more then just settling with a defendant.

I'm sure there is more I can't think of right now again Kraft's case wasn't the point of what I was saying because he has the deep pockets he was able to beat the system. I agree lot of things should be decriminalized.
Your "remedy" for civil lawsuits has been suggested by many before and it would be an utter disaster. What it would accomplish is the end of practically all civil lawsuits. No lawyer or client could take the risk of having to pay huge penalties to the person they were suing simply because juries often rule against people who have completely meritorious cases. Its an aspect of the system that gets little attention, but it happens with some regularity. If you want to totally end all civil lawsuits, that's the way to do it. There's a reason why that is not the law in any of the fifty states.

There are laws that prohibit withholding evidence and some prosecutors that have done so have lost their license to practice law and even gone to jail. The problem is why it happens. People imagine dark conspiracies. Sometimes, its the police that don't let the prosecutor know about exculpatory evidence. Sometimes, the evidence actually gets buried in enormously long files.

Anyway, at my age I'm going to leave "reform" or "deform" of the system to others. I believe where I live that the system has served the public fairly well. There is little pressure here for reform. What has hurt most people where I live has been the inability to hold trials during Covid. That though is fortunately changing and we are slowly getting back to normal.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:10 AM

10,948 posts, read 5,800,051 times
Quote:
Sorry that I can't draw you a picture, but if you can understand words, I'll try to explain it in simple terms. A homeowner can build whatever he wants and however he wants it on his own property as long as it doesn't violate zoning laws or deed restrictions. However, a homeowner doesn't have the right to build anything he wants and however he wants to build it on property he does NOT own. Capisce?
I missed where it was established that the box was built in the road right of way. Do you have the post number where that happened?

Old 06-28-2021, 09:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,099,094 times
Quote:
Where are you getting the information that he built his mailbox on someone else's property? The original article states that the mailbox was in his yard.

Verbal arguments given last week stated that Cletus Snay was driving to work in December 2016 when his truck hit a patch of black ice and slid into the formidable aforementioned mailbox in Matthew Burr’s yard in Bellevue, Ohio.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...mxm-story.html

Old 06-28-2021, 10:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,273,648 times
Quote:
That's precisely my point. The mailbox was NOT on his property. It was on the street right-of-way. So any comparison to a mailbox on state/county property and what someone builds on their own property is an apples to elephants comparison.
That is where my mailbox is required to be to get mail service. IF the mailbox is set back to where the county right of way is then you don't get mail delivery. The P.O. says that I must put my mailbox in a specific place which is on the left side of my driveway and no more than 2 feet from the edge of the road. That is what I must do to get mail service in my town. I have not seen any neighborhood that required a mailbox to be 6+ feet from the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events