Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 02:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Nah...........airbnb rentals have been way down since Covid and what is the rental rates now in that building?

I don't think you have been traveling since covid because for the past six months everything is booked solid and prices are sky high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 02:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Please, let me know when 'the end of pool season' happens in So FL?
I live here year round so I am clueless!

More seriously though, I have never seen a thread with so much misinformation, ignorance of insurance, condos, construction, structural design, maintenance, law, HOAs, the climate and geology of FL, plus a couple of off-the-wall conspiracies for good measure, so why should anything surprise me?

Pool season ends on January 10th and begins on Jan 12th.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:10 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,505,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen the comments, just read a few that some won't check in to say they're alive because they illegally bought the condo. It wouldn't surprise me if they're correct. It really sucks because volunteers are searching for them.
I'm not doubting that you read or heard this, but how do you illegally buy real estate in the US? I'm sure it's possible, but I don't understand how that would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I used to think this too before I moved to Florida, but when the air temperature is 60 degrees an unheated pool is very uncomfortable!

Old 07-03-2021, 02:26 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,822,973 times
Quote:

Old 07-03-2021, 02:27 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Please, let me know when 'the end of pool season' happens in So FL?
I live here year round so I am clueless!

More seriously though, I have never seen a thread with so much misinformation, ignorance of insurance, condos, construction, structural design, maintenance, law, HOAs, the climate and geology of FL, plus a couple of off-the-wall conspiracies for good measure, so why should anything surprise me?
Good point, especially in South Florida. I probably should have said the end of the summer vacation rental season.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:36 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,822,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'm not doubting that you read or heard this, but how do you illegally buy real estate in the US? I'm sure it's possible, but I don't understand how that would happen.

I used to think this too before I moved to Florida, but when the air temperature is 60 degrees an unheated pool is very uncomfortable!
In South Florida that's called a 'freaky cold day'.
That's when you soak in the jetted hot tub after putting up a big stew.
But south of Jupiter there is no 'cold season'.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:36 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,206,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Wow. That is really bad if true. How could something so glaringly wrong slip right by the construction inspectors?
According to the report, it didn’t slip through, it was specified that way in the approved contract documents.

We need to take things with a grain of salt since much of the reporting and information could be totally incorrect.

I just have trouble understanding that the engineers who inspected the structure didn’t take positive action to ensure the safety of the residents in allowing the can to be kicked down the road. They are professionals and should have acted accordingly unless there were areas where the corrosion and deterioration was not visible.

Apparently they did see enough to make statements saying that it needed immediate attention and repairs and they were the only ones who could have acted to avert this horrible tragedy!

Last edited by Rickcin; 07-03-2021 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 02:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
Quote:
That's an easy call for the owners who are residents but the owners who rent airbnb would be facing a sharp drop in rental revenue. Who would rent a condo where the pool is closed when there are a dozen nearby condos available where the pool is open? The pool and the ocean are very different. I love both and there is a time for each but they are very different experiences.
I doubt those airbnb would be getting much business,I would stay out of all these condo buildings.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:40 PM

19,828 posts, read 9,387,493 times
This was just published in The Wall Street Journal less than half an hour ago, so sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Quote from https://www.wsj.com/articles/miami-a...ay-11625329080 (my italics):

HEADLINE: Miami-Area Condo Collapse Building Demolition to Start Soon as Sunday

City officials decided to demolish the remaining part of Champlain Towers South with explosives as soon as Sunday, accelerating their plans due to an approaching tropical storm.

Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said she made the difficult decision, balancing the need to keep searching for victims and investigate the collapse with the need to protect rescue workers and area residents from further harm if the building were to fall. Officials had expected to take weeks planning a methodical removal of the remaining structure.

[END QUOTE]

I do understand the decision, but that is just so sad and heartbreaking for those family and friends who have not received any remains. I wonder if after the building is demolished, if they will still be searching for body parts? (I can't imagine there would be any intact whole bodies after the demolition, but maybe I'm wrong.)

I am just so sorry for all the survivors and the family and friends of those who didn't survive.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:48 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
According to the report, it didn’t slip through, it was specified that way in the approved contract documents.

We need to take things with a grain of salt since much of the reporting and information could be totally incorrect.

I just have trouble understanding that the engineers who inspected the structure didn’t take positive action to ensure the safety of the residents in allowing the can to be kicked down the road. They are professionals and should have acted accordingly unless there were areas where the corrosion and deterioration was not visible.
It almost sounds as though they had various experts looking at bits and pieces of the structure but no one was looking at all of those bits and pieces together. They were missing the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events