Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 10:42 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think these are flash mobs. It is organized crime.

Similar to what was happening in Britain while I lived there. Gangs would go out into the suburbs with moving trucks and hit every house and strip them bare. 5-6 houses at the same time with a couple of hoodlums in each house rushing the goods out to put them in the moving truck.

I suspect you have a Fagin who has his gang of youths organized. These aren't strangers meeting on social media. In fact, its very likely that any stray who sees the robbery and tries to join in will get himself a beat-down.
That's a good point. I hadn't even thought of that. I did know that the Russian mob recruits and trains kids to pick pockets for them in other countries (like the crowded tourist areas in Italy) so shoplifting gangs organized by bigger criminal enterprises shouldn't come as a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 11:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 8,046,023 times
...While there is almost certainly some hardcore criminality leading this crime wave, one suspects that many of its foot soldiers are people with little in the way of serious police records. How much do you want to bet most of them will turn out to be ordinary, workaday folk who got the word there was free stuff to be had, and all you had to do was take it, like some giddy holiday from social norms?
https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/202...ttered-column/

Old 12-01-2021, 11:32 AM

3,651 posts, read 1,609,003 times
Need a way to make it so a mob theft can be thwarted at the store, so that they won't even do it because they would be caught. At a bank a robber can be captured between two entrance doors by locking the doors. An auto thief can be caught by anti-theft GPS tracking/locking door systems.

Stores need a way to stop a mob theft. Locking the front door might be a way but everyone is trapped including any shoppers that didn't get out fast enough. And it's a fire hazard to have people locked in a store.

I'm thinking something like this. During a mob theft the smash proof front door closes but also opens a small escape hole at the bottom that is only 12" high and 16" wide. Now, everyone has to crawl through that small opening on the floor to get out, one at a time. No mob will want to do that.

Something like that.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:39 AM

2,612 posts, read 932,690 times
Maybe if they explode a whole lot of paint in the store during the flash mob. That would make participants easy to identify until they can get to someones house.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Need a way to make it so a mob theft can be thwarted at the store, so that they won't even do it because they would be caught. At a bank a robber can be captured between two entrance doors by locking the doors. An auto thief can be caught by anti-theft GPS tracking/locking door systems.

Stores need a way to stop a mob theft. Locking the front door might be a way but everyone is trapped including any shoppers that didn't get out fast enough. And it's a fire hazard to have people locked in a store.

I'm thinking something like this. During a mob theft the smash proof front door closes but also opens a small escape hole at the bottom that is only 12" high and 16" wide. Now, everyone has to crawl through that small opening on the floor to get out, one at a time. No mob will want to do that.

Something like that.

You could have a security guard stand outside. And if they see a large group of people are heading toward the entrance... shut it.

But I suspect the fire department won't allow this. Then there's the issue of race. Based on the video clips I've seen such robberies are being committed by African-Americans. A security guard see a large group of AA coming towards the front door and closes it? Lawsuit.

Now a store might be able to get away with having everyone wait outside. Letting only a certain number of people enter at a time. Like we saw shopping during the pandemic. However, my guess is most customers aren't going to put up with such a security measure. They 'll shop somewhere else.

I don't know what stores can do to stop this.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:09 PM

5,590 posts, read 6,522,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
...While there is almost certainly some hardcore criminality leading this crime wave, one suspects that many of its foot soldiers are people with little in the way of serious police records. How much do you want to bet most of them will turn out to be ordinary, workaday folk who got the word there was free stuff to be had, and all you had to do was take it, like some giddy holiday from social norms?
https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/202...ttered-column/
Mmmm, hard working people who WORK hard and earn their money to BUY their possessions, ie "ordinary workaday folk", who DON'T have a police record, will NOT be the ones to go "goody, goody, lets go get some free stuff by engaging in an illegal behavior of stealing with all the losers who are participating in it". I will take you up on your bet and can guarantee you'd lose.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Mmmm, hard working people who WORK hard and earn their money to BUY their possessions, ie "ordinary workaday folk", who DON'T have a police record, will NOT be the ones to go "goody, goody, lets go get some free stuff by engaging in an illegal behavior of stealing with all the losers who are participating in it". I will take you up on your bet and can guarantee you'd lose.

Doubt that. I'm sure there are plenty of "ordinary workaday folk" willing to rip off shoes, dresses or whatever if they believe there's zero chance of getting caught.

In fact the biggest problem for those involved is probably racing to where high-priced goods are sold before the others.

Last edited by john3232; 12-01-2021 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-01-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post

Something like that.
No elderly person is going to make it through a 12” opening, in fact many over 50 won’t. Nor will overweight people. Than someone will have a heart attack in the chaos and sue the store, and win.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Doubt that. I'm sure there are plenty of "ordinary workaday folk" willing to rip off shoes, dresses or whatever if they believe there's zero chance of getting caught.

In fact the biggest problem for those involved is probably racing to where high-priced goods are sold before the others.
Yes they had a truck overturn on a highway here last week that was carrying a lot of cash, and regular ordinary people driving home from work were whooping it up snatching bills up off the road. Many are in video and police looking for them.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,484,606 times
Back in the day, they used to shoot horse thieves.
Bring back the good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events