Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 02:19 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times

Advertisements

What happens if the dudes who did that are from Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia, where that stuff is legal or winked at IRL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 02:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Attractive girls have always dealt with this kind of attention though, its nothing new. Some girls dont like it and find it creepy...while others enjoy it and take advantage of the attention.

I've never done virtual reality of any kind...just getting that out there, so maybe my perceptions are wrong...

If I'm in a VR environment...how REAL is it going to seem to me?

And while I get that it's not real, and thus I wouldn't be getting physically hurt for real. No real vaginal bleeding. No worrying about getting an STD. No fear of pregnancy. But aren't a lot of the 'feelings' going to be the same? Someone is holding me down, helpless, showing me that 'you' have the power over me? That the only way to avoid this happening to me is...not playing the game? Just like in real life...the woman is supposed to watch how she dresses, and how she behaves, and where she goes...and it's her fault if she's humilliated?

And wouldn't most girls find it creepy and scary that they're being raped?

I don't know...I think this might be an issue that not's going to go away.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:21 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Just another unreal world, like television and movies, where women can be abused and hope it doesn't carry over into real life. What are we teaching young men?

Old 02-01-2022, 07:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I've never done virtual reality of any kind...just getting that out there, so maybe my perceptions are wrong...

If I'm in a VR environment...how REAL is it going to seem to me?

And while I get that it's not real, and thus I wouldn't be getting physically hurt for real. No real vaginal bleeding. No worrying about getting an STD. No fear of pregnancy. But aren't a lot of the 'feelings' going to be the same? Someone is holding me down, helpless, showing me that 'you' have the power over me? That the only way to avoid this happening to me is...not playing the game? Just like in real life...the woman is supposed to watch how she dresses, and how she behaves, and where she goes...and it's her fault if she's humilliated?

And wouldn't most girls find it creepy and scary that they're being raped?

I don't know...I think this might be an issue that not's going to go away.
Not particularly.

Basically they can do lewdish things same as any other games. The teabagging comment, for example, is a pretty good example that was around all the way back when I was in middle school 20+ years ago. In a shooter after you frag someone (kill their character) you can repeatedly spam crouch/uncrouch over their head. In VR you could get a bit more creative depending on how sophisticated the VR system which most aren't particularly. There's no collision detection but you could walk up and "invade" their virtual space and then maybe mimic booby grabbing while spamming "B000biess!!!!11!11!" in chat like a 12-year-old off their meds. It's annoying juvenile behavior. And yeah, not going anywhere. Internet brings out the stupid in a lot of people.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:41 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And she refused to just log off ?

Players have been doing stuff like that in MMO's for years...teabagging is still a big thing in mmo's

If someone calls someone the N word in the virtual would it not count because its the virtual world?

Old 02-01-2022, 09:55 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Such a headline (in recent years) would be something you see in the wacky tabloid papers! I guess its being treated seriously today though?

I dont think it will go anywhere though, she always had the power to flip the switch to OFF and she didnt.
Exactly.

Complete nonsense.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:17 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I feel like this is an old story. I remember reading about it a couple yrs ago

Old 02-02-2022, 06:20 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,678,938 times
Quote:
Such a headline (in recent years) would be something you see in the wacky tabloid papers! I guess its being treated seriously today though?

I dont think it will go anywhere though, she always had the power to flip the switch to OFF and she didnt.
I highly disagree. Yes you can just flip the switch off. Then she is being denied an experience others get to do. It is like on this forum. There are a few sections that are full of people with serious mental problems. It is not OK to harass them and call them names, send them horrible private messages, or straight up tell them they need mental help because they are crazy. That stuff should never be tolerated for any reason.

It is not like someone disagreed with her and stated why they disagreed. Although some scream harassment when it clearly isn't just because someone doesn't agree with their beliefs. That is clearly not the case here.

Isn't cyber bullying against the law in the US with legal repercussions?

Old 02-02-2022, 06:28 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
I hope she gets a huge judgment win and is paid by a virtual check!

This seems like a non-story hoping to go viral and then the company involved will be forced to save face by writing a check and putting a one sentence warning saying dont harass others or you will be banned in small print where nobody will read it anyway.

If this same woman goes into a biker bar wearing a thong bikini, should she sue the bar for allowing the harassment, sue Harley Davidson for allowing rude bikers to ride their product to the bar in order to harass, then sue Budweiser for providing alcohol to the patrons causing their rowdy behavior towards her?

Where does the non-sense end?

Old 02-02-2022, 08:09 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I highly disagree. Yes you can just flip the switch off. Then she is being denied an experience others get to do. It is like on this forum. There are a few sections that are full of people with serious mental problems. It is not OK to harass them and call them names, send them horrible private messages, or straight up tell them they need mental help because they are crazy. That stuff should never be tolerated for any reason.

It is not like someone disagreed with her and stated why they disagreed. Although some scream harassment when it clearly isn't just because someone doesn't agree with their beliefs. That is clearly not the case here.

Isn't cyber bullying against the law in the US with legal repercussions?
I am not aware that cyber bullying has legal repercussions. That would seem to be a first amendment violation. So you may ban someone for such activity but it doesnt become criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events