Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 11:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I have a 4.91 rating and it bothers me that I don't have a better one. I try to be outside waiting for the ride every time. I'm not that sociable though. If the driver isn't talking to me, I'm not making casual conversation with them. I don't like to give bad ratings to drivers, but then I rarely get a bad driver. I got one guy who tailgated cars in front of him, came to rolling stops at stop signs and was just generally a bad driver. I gave him a 3 which was frankly too high of a rating.

Same. Just checked and shocked to see I'm 4.88 since I thought I was the ideal rider - clean, prompt, always tip, never felt any "tensions" with a driver, etc - except when Dave said he docks points for "talks little". Like you, I don't talk unless driver initiates it. I figured they hear enough yakking all day long and how many times do they want to talk about the weather or the traffic? I'm sure not going to talk about war and politics. I'll play on my phone or take a nap (is that not extending total trust in the driver?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 03:36 PM

16,276 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Gets drunk and wants to ride up front, controls radio and is loud. Drivers either love it or hate it. This was prior to covid. It revolves around playing her music in the vehicle. Train-wreck is what it’s been described as. Luckily she’s not like this anymore, and lives in another state now. With waitstaff out for the night, yes. When sober, the train wreck dealing with staff goes away.

Does Uber still do the you could rent a car from them? I remember a driver telling me about it a few years ago. We were in his Uber rental, $400 a month on an unlimited mile rental/lease. Plus you could use it for personal use. Seemed like a decent deal for someone driving full time? I live in twin cities so we have around 4 million people here.
Thanks for the reply. I would hate your step daughter, there is a reason I knock off at 10. If she touched my radio she would hear about it.

As for rentals not sure, I know Lyft offers them but it's a terrible deal that divers who can't afford their own car are forced to accept. Not sure of the numbers but it was something like $300/week and for some reason if you have their vehicle you earn a lower rate. Drives work Monday and part of Tuesday just to pay their weekly rental. But yes $400 with unlimited miles is a super deal and I doubt it's still available

Old 03-13-2022, 03:43 PM

16,276 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's another question I had. Also, sometimes when I get home for a trip, I am putting things away or doing something else and don't automatically give the tip until a little while later.

I have a 4.91 rating and it bothers me that I don't have a better one. I try to be outside waiting for the ride every time. I'm not that sociable though. If the driver isn't talking to me, I'm not making casual conversation with them. I don't like to give bad ratings to drivers, but then I rarely get a bad driver. I got one guy who tailgated cars in front of him, came to rolling stops at stop signs and was just generally a bad driver. I gave him a 3 which was frankly too high of a rating.
Yeah I often get tips from a ride a week or more ago, when the rider logs in for his/her next ride they are prompted. As for you rating don't sweat it, 4.91 is still excellent. I don't even hesitate to take a rider unless it dips into the 4.5? territory. 4.73 for example is a very typical rating. Some drivers, like some riders, are just jerks who give low ratings for no other reason than they are having a bad night. I do encourage you to give low ratings to drivers who made you feel unsafe.

I do prefer riders who are sociable because that's my personality and it makes the ride more fun. But I also like the quiet riders as a break, it's difficult to make small talk all night long. I have to be careful, if a rider just wants to check her social media I need to shut up and drive. So I throw out something benign at the start of the ride and gauge their interest in talking or not.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:09 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
They can adjust fees to compensate.

Regular taxis on the other hand tend to have fees set by public mandate. They'll have a tougher time.
Maybe, then again maybe not.

Here in NYC there is a vast and bewildering array of surcharges and fees tacked onto each taxi fare. If gas prices get too high state or city will likely simply implement yet another surcharge to offset.

https://gothamist.com/news/it-will-s...nyc-yellow-cab

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/passengers/taxi-fare.page

Old 03-13-2022, 05:09 PM

2,644 posts, read 1,177,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
maybe some people will want to uber over filling their own cars with gas, lol
I would if I had to fill my car with gas. My hands are not strong enough to pump the gas and I really don't want to smell like gas. Plus I want that gas in my car for emergencies. Wish I could get an Electric car but I have no clue if that is as hard to do as the gas pump is and I don't want to wait for an hour or so to recharge a car.

Last edited by staystill; 03-13-2022 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: and I don't have a place at home to charge a car either.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
It should be noted that Uber is not the same as Ubereats, (food delivery). This is all I do today. It is easier and safer than actual person rideshare. But the bottom has dropped out on this side. Perhaps more drivers fighting for deliveries but more likely the economy has slowed to the point where this service is considered a luxury.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would hate your step daughter, there is a reason I knock off at 10. If she touched my radio she would hear about it.

As for rentals not sure, I know Lyft offers them but it's a terrible deal that divers who can't afford their own car are forced to accept. Not sure of the numbers but it was something like $300/week and for some reason if you have their vehicle you earn a lower rate. Drives work Monday and part of Tuesday just to pay their weekly rental. But yes $400 with unlimited miles is a super deal and I doubt it's still available
Hating someone because they talked or changed a radio? Perhaps you're not cut out for work in the customer service realm.

Old 03-13-2022, 08:42 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Hating someone because they talked or changed a radio? Perhaps you're not cut out for work in the customer service realm.

If a drunk person insisted on sitting in the front and was spouting drunk gibberish the whole time while messing around with the radio, most drivers would hate that. Aside from that being incredibly annoying, it's also unsafe as it would distract any driver.

The foundation which makes these services ultimately work almost all of the time is mutual courtesy. Even though it's a service, you're a guest in their car. Their car, their rules.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:03 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If a drunk person insisted on sitting in the front and was spouting drunk gibberish the whole time while messing around with the radio, most drivers would hate that. Aside from that being incredibly annoying, it's also unsafe as it would distract any driver.

The foundation which makes these services ultimately work almost all of the time is mutual courtesy. Even though it's a service, you're a guest in their car. Their car, their rules.
Chapter one: When I started with Uber I was doing transport. One day I had a group of six guys trying to squeeze into my Camry. And these guys were not exactly small. I could have declined but let them in. Nothing bad happened except for no tip! This about the time I decided to work “eats” only. Best decision I ever made.

Chapter two, I picked up passenger who immediately started praising then President Trump. I did not agree but remained silent. The guy went on and on, but I bit my tongue. This time I got a tip!

Lesson: learn how to not argue with your passenger!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-13-2022 at 09:11 PM..

Old 03-14-2022, 02:14 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

If you're driving a cab or Uber, etc at night you should be able to deal with drunks and their gibberish. You also should be able to have sufficient control, and locked doors, to control where they sit. The rider is a customer, not a guest just as hotel and restaurant customers are customers, not guests. We're talking about a business transaction here and some people are not suited for this type of business.

Certainly mutual courtesy is essential, but to actually profess hatred for a customer unwilling or unable to provide such is over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events