Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 04:04 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Hating someone because they talked or changed a radio? Perhaps you're not cut out for work in the customer service realm.
Your comments are a bit off putting seeing as my rating is in the top 1%, I love this job and I'm good at it, so much that I chose to do this and retired earlier than planned. And my career was in B2B sales which is obviously customer service. Try harder if you are going to try to take a shot at me as this one missed the mark.

This is my car, my office. Would you walk into someone's office and change the music? You compared this to a hotel, would you walk into the lobby and change the music there just because you are a paying guest? A rider is out of line if they start touching the radio. Every driver agrees with this. I talk to them every day, you do not.

I never said I hated on someone for talking, in fact I posted the exact opposite. Talking is one thing, being drunk and loud is something completely different. I would think you would understand the difference, I stand corrected.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 03-14-2022 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It should be noted that Uber is not the same as Ubereats, (food delivery). This is all I do today. It is easier and safer than actual person rideshare. But the bottom has dropped out on this side. Perhaps more drivers fighting for deliveries but more likely the economy has slowed to the point where this service is considered a luxury.
Yeah I was kind of wondering how deliveries would go now that people are more out and about. This was kind of predictable. You find deliveries easier? Not me. A year of getting in and out of the car and walking up 3 flights of stairs to a garden apartment got old, it's much easier to simply sit and drive people around and much more interesting.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Same. Just checked and shocked to see I'm 4.88 since I thought I was the ideal rider - clean, prompt, always tip, never felt any "tensions" with a driver, etc - except when Dave said he docks points for "talks little". Like you, I don't talk unless driver initiates it. I figured they hear enough yakking all day long and how many times do they want to talk about the weather or the traffic? I'm sure not going to talk about war and politics. I'll play on my phone or take a nap (is that not extending total trust in the driver?)
No no I never rate lower for riders who are quiet. I prefer to talk but posted that the silent rides are a nice break from small talk. I only deduct if the rider makes me wait, and it's only a small deduction of one star over the rider who was ready when I arrived. I give a bad rating if the person was really bad, but that's rare.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:37 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No no I never rate lower for riders who are quiet. I prefer to talk but posted that the silent rides are a nice break from small talk. I only deduct if the rider makes me wait, and it's only a small deduction of one star over the rider who was ready when I arrived. I give a bad rating if the person was really bad, but that's rare.
I was told by a driver that cancelling a ride hurts your rating the most. I’ve cancelled rides where I was charged $5 to do it. Are you given the $5 or a part of it for this? You can also tell when a driver cancels your ride when it says they’ve found you a new driver.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I was told by a driver that cancelling a ride hurts your rating the most. I’ve cancelled rides where I was charged $5 to do it. Are you given the $5 or a part of it for this? You can also tell when a driver cancels your ride when it says they’ve found you a new driver.
Yes the levels I was referring to where you get to see how long the ride is before accepting includes cancelation and acceptance rates. So we need to keep those up, and if you cancel too many rides you wil get fired.

If I have already made progress towards the rider on Lyft I'll get paid, on Uber it's a flat 0 so that stinks. But one thing I hate about Lyft is I will be on the way to the ride and if another drivers who is closer comes online they will switch it to that driver and I lose the ride. It's good for the customer as they will get a ride faster but sucks for the drivers. Uber also pays a portion of the distance I have to drive for a rider who is far away, where I live this is common. With Lyft the clock starts when the ride starts, so I can (and have) driven 17 minutes from home for a short trip to Walmart. 45 minutes including the trip and the drive home for $4.25. Yeah don't do that anymore, for these reasons I drive only Uber now.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:

And you can't see the tip when you rate? When we uber to the airport we might delay the driver bringing out luggage and there might be otehr cases where there's a delay but an apology and a healthy tip is meant to compensate that.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:03 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
This is my car, my office. Would you walk into someone's office and change the music? You compared this to a hotel, would you walk into the lobby and change the music there just because you are a paying guest? A rider is out of line if they start touching the radio. Every driver agrees with this. I talk to them every day, you do not.
I agree that it's out of line for a rider to fiddle with the driver's radio. But what if the rider doesn't like what the driver is playing? What is the expected norm in this situation? Should the rider ask the driver to change the station or turn off the radio, or should the rider just sit there and quietly endure it? And if the rider asks the driver to tune in a station that the driver doesn't like, what's the expected norm for the driver to do?

Old 03-14-2022, 08:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I agree that it's out of line for a rider to fiddle with the driver's radio. But what if the rider doesn't like what the driver is playing? What is the expected norm in this situation? Should the rider ask the driver to change the station or turn off the radio, or should the rider just sit there and quietly endure it? And if the rider asks the driver to tune in a station that the driver doesn't like, what's the expected norm for the driver to do?

My approach - deal with it. The driver has to be there for hours, I will be there 10-20 minutes. However, it's rare when a driver doesn't ask if I want to hear the radio or want to hear something else or if the volume is ok. In any event, as a customer or a guest, you don't just fiddle with the car's controls. You ask. I can't imagine a reasonable request being denied.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:30 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
If you're driving a cab or Uber, etc at night you should be able to deal with drunks and their gibberish. You also should be able to have sufficient control, and locked doors, to control where they sit. The rider is a customer, not a guest just as hotel and restaurant customers are customers, not guests. We're talking about a business transaction here and some people are not suited for this type of business.

Certainly mutual courtesy is essential, but to actually profess hatred for a customer unwilling or unable to provide such is over the top.

Even hotels and restaurants have house rules, and they have the right to enforce them. They can and do evict guests if they break them. And there certainly are many establishments that will throw out extremely drunk people who misbehave.

But there are two elements here that go even beyond hotels and restaurants - and that's (1) the fact Uber and Lyft provide passenger transportation. In passenger transportation rules tend to be stricter and enforced more rigidly (see also airlines) because of the safety element. (2) You're sitting in someone else's car. The whole idea of those apps is 'sharing a ride'. It's their car, so they can pretty much do whatever the eff they want within the law, and if you don't like it, you can give them a 1-star rating. Paying for a service does most decidedly not include the right to do anything against the wishes of the owner of the vehicle within said vehicle.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:50 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
If you're driving a cab or Uber, etc at night you should be able to deal with drunks and their gibberish. You also should be able to have sufficient control, and locked doors, to control where they sit. The rider is a customer, not a guest just as hotel and restaurant customers are customers, not guests. We're talking about a business transaction here and some people are not suited for this type of business.

Certainly mutual courtesy is essential, but to actually profess hatred for a customer unwilling or unable to provide such is over the top.
He didn't say he hated the customer. He said he would hate it if she touched his radio. he hated a behavior, not a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events