Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 05:40 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't understand why it is so hard for you to understand that someone who cannot deal with what you call "part of the job" may not belong in that job. My early comment here was directly to that point.

Perhaps the credit I gave you immediately above was premature. Regardless of what you see as a consensus on the driver boards, my opinion that anyone in a customer service business getting wound up about such things is not well suited to the task remains. Televisions in bars and restaurants are there for the entertainment of the patrons and many places have the remote accessible for patrons to use in selecting what they watch - mileage varies all over the board in that regard.

On the other hand it is generally verboten everywhere in the restaurant business for a customer to go behind the bar or into the kitchen; it's like opening the door to invite trouble in. Why any driver would allow any rider in the front seat if it causes problems for them is beyond me, especially if their experience shows it has led to untenable situations.

I've already explained to you that I have a rating that's in the highest 1%. I've also clearly explained that I like this job so much I quit my job early to do it.

By every metric I'm excellent at this job. For you to not understand how I would take offense to you claiming that this job isn't for me based on your nonsense, nonsense multiple posters have disputed and not one has agreed with you on, well I guess that's all we need to say about that.

Back to the topic once again I'm seeing no evidence that drivers are dropping off as a result of these gas costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I prefer to believe people mean exactly what they say and write rather than attempt to read what is going on in their minds. The man making the comment appears to be lucid with a good command of the English language; I see no reason to doubt his words, even though I don't agree with it.

I have already clarified for you what I meant. Again it's kind of humorous that you couldn't understand it but because you insisted I clarified. You seem to base your entire position on your misinterpretation of what I had said. That's on you not me.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 03-15-2022 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 05:52 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
City-Data forum members sure can discuss (argue) anything.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I've already explained to you that I have a rating that's in the highest 1%. I've also clearly explained that I like this job so much I quit my job early to do it.

By every metric I'm excellent at this job. For you to not understand how I would take offense to you claiming that this job isn't for me based on your nonsense, nonsense multiple posters have disputed and not one has agreed with you on, well I guess that's all we need to say about that.

Back to the topic once again I'm seeing no evidence that drivers are dropping off as a result of these gas costs.
How excellent you believe you are and your rating don't matter at all to the question of your being unable to deal with what you admit is "part of the job" to the point where it would make you hate people, those were your words.

The question, as you note, was about drivers paying a high price for gas, you chose to instead speak to those facets of the job which are problematic for you that, in my opinion, make you unsuitable for the job.

Again, my opinion, you don't have to agree.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
So how much a "part of the job" is someone plopping into the front seat and immediately going for the radio controls?

Old 03-15-2022, 07:27 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Why any driver would allow any rider in the front seat if it causes problems for them is beyond me, especially if their experience shows it has led to untenable situations.
Sorry for veering off topic with this question, but staying on topic is not a strong suit of this thread. lol. I've wondered about the etiquette of passengers sitting in the front seat. In a taxi, it's expected that they sit in the back. But what about Uber or Lyft? I've only used Uber a couple of times, and each time I was with a group, so I had to sit up front. (I promise I didn't touch the radio!) But if I'm traveling alone, what should I do? Sit up front or in back? I don't want to presume to impinge on the driver by sitting up front, but I also don't want to appear to be snobbishly treating the driver as a chauffeur. DaveinMtAiry, would you kindly chime in on this? Thanks.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
FYI it's not an automatic response. We are sent a message showing that we got a tip and a link to go to the ride. There we can select "Say Thanks For The Tip". I make it a point to do just that but not ever driver bothers.

Here's a dirty little secret that I probably should not share. At the end of the night I review my rides. To be honest I have a hard time remembering the riders. I remember the street name, and some riders I remember. But most I can't place, after a while they all run together. So unfortunately there are times when as hard as I try I can not remember the rider who tipped me.
No, that is kind of common. The human brain naturally dumps unimportant memories. Uber drivers regularly put their past deliveries/rides to the side. Just human nature.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
I love driving for food service. You are providing a welcomed service. It is mostly low stress. And customers tip well because there is an actual palatable pleasing experience. I have been upset with Ubereats but DoorDash is a better platform imo. Uber will need to offer incentives to get me back.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:50 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
[/b][/i]

Well, your "ever, ever" prediction was correct for about fourteen hours until Uber added a fuel surcharge for all drivers.

https://www.uber.com/newsroom/new-fuel-surcharge/
Wow! I'm shocked! I didn't listen to the amounts they are offering to know if its worth it for the drivers.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Sorry for veering off topic with this question, but staying on topic is not a strong suit of this thread. lol. I've wondered about the etiquette of passengers sitting in the front seat. In a taxi, it's expected that they sit in the back. But what about Uber or Lyft? I've only used Uber a couple of times, and each time I was with a group, so I had to sit up front. (I promise I didn't touch the radio!) But if I'm traveling alone, what should I do? Sit up front or in back? I don't want to presume to impinge on the driver by sitting up front, but I also don't want to appear to be snobbishly treating the driver as a chauffeur. DaveinMtAiry, would you kindly chime in on this? Thanks.

Thanks for getting us off of that annoying back and forth. We've both had our say, and judging from the responses and reps I have received I'm pretty comfortable with what I have posted. So it's time to move on, the board doesn't need any more of this.

To answer your question since the pandemic started riders are not allowed in the front seat. But to answer your question you absolutely are supposed to sit in the back seat, just like with a cab. I never had an issue with it but some drivers refused to let riders sit up front, it's violation of their space is how they see it. Whenever I saw someone starting to get in the front seat I know it's a new rider. Don't be that guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events