Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 08:45 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times

Advertisements

‘Consciousness of guilt’: Fatal NYC shove suspect may face more legal jeopardy for deleting social media

Quote:
The woman accused of pushing an 87-year-old New York City voice coach to her death may have helped prosecutors by fleeing and deleting her social media and wedding website accounts, legal experts say.

"Any time a suspect flees, you can expect that prosecutors may try to introduce that as what’s called 'consciousness of guilt,'" said Danny Cevallos, an NBC and MSNBC legal analyst.

She could have turned herself in "the moment that she found out that this was a news story" and that the push resulted in death, Cevallos said. "But she didn’t."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 09:51 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Her family is wealthy. Her attorney represented Harvey Weinstein and Rudy Giuliani. The attorney claims there is no proof she did anything, that she is being targeted for unfair prosecution due to her "socioeconomic status", and that the DA is "overcharging" her for this crime since it wasn't like she "pushed the woman off a cliff or in front of a train". She reportedly cursed at the woman, ran across the street to get to her, deliberately pushed her, ran off, and was seen in a fight with her BF a few minutes later, before going to hide at her parents. They all sound like privileged scum who think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. The victim is dead.
That's not what it sounds like to me. Running across the street to push a stranger to the ground, cursing at her? If the perp truly didn't know the victim beforehand, there very well could be some kind of mental illness at the bottom of this. She got in a fight with her bf right afterwards. Some kind of Borderline Personality thing? Or, OTOH, maybe the victim was her high school music teacher, or something, against whom she was harboring a grudge. Even so, that behavior is way outside the norm.

Hopefully, this will be one story that will generate follow-up articles with more info.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:55 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I'm wondering why this occurred. My thinking just can't get around -- ran across the street and shoved some unknown woman for no reason at all. I would expect that behavior out of a mentally disturbed person, but not an ordinary person, one without a past criminal record(?) which is what this woman seems to be. So I wonder, was she hoping to get that cab? Had she been waiting longer and the elderly woman managed to get a cab in a few minutes when she had been waiting 20? It could have been something like that. Not an excuse whatsoever, just looking for this case to make some kind of sense.
There's a plausible theory. I, too, am wondering what would possess someone to run across the street to shove a stranger. And I wonder what the subsequent fight with her bf was about. She apparently didn't leave the vicinity; she stayed and watched police or an ambulance arrive.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,285,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
The reason doesn't matter. The action does. The end result was the same.
So many here have been speculating about a possible motive. And, motive just might be factor when sentence is issued.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a plausible theory. I, too, am wondering what would possess someone to run across the street to shove a stranger. And I wonder what the subsequent fight with her bf was about. She apparently didn't leave the vicinity; she stayed and watched police or an ambulance arrive.
We do not know that she ran across the street. We know she crossed the street. We do not know that she crossed the street so she could shove the woman down. For all we know, NY Woman would have shoved anyone in her path.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:02 PM

88,862 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I know that but she chose to shove her. That was not accidental. Choosing an action that could cause death is different than accidentally causing a death.
Re the bolded: I am unclear as to why you keep bringing up "accidental". No one said seems to think it was accidental, and as I clearly stated in the post to which you are responding, manslaughter does not mean it was accidental. It means that someone died as the result of unlawful behavior but actually killing the victim was not the intent of the action.

As a matter of fact, your last sentence, underlined, describes what manslaughter is.

A drunk driver who kills a person can be charged with manslaughter because while they broke the law by driving drunk, you cannot prove that they set out driving drunk with the intent to kill somebody.

Unless they can prove that this woman's intent was to actually kill the voice teacher, they cannot charge her with murder no matter how much popular opinion thinks she should be. It goes by definitions set in the law.

Now, if someone comes forward and says they heard this woman say, "I'm going to kill you" to the victim and then slammed her to the ground, then there might be cause for a murder charge.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:31 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,166,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So many here have been speculating about a possible motive. And, motive just might be factor when sentence is issued.
It would be really interesting if there ended up being intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Re the bolded: I am unclear as to why you keep bringing up "accidental". No one said seems to think it was accidental, and as I clearly stated in the post to which you are responding, manslaughter does not mean it was accidental. It means that someone died as the result of unlawful behavior but actually killing the victim was not the intent of the action.

As a matter of fact, your last sentence, underlined, describes what manslaughter is.

A drunk driver who kills a person can be charged with manslaughter because while they broke the law by driving drunk, you cannot prove that they set out driving drunk with the intent to kill somebody.

Unless they can prove that this woman's intent was to actually kill the voice teacher, they cannot charge her with murder no matter how much popular opinion thinks she should be. It goes by definitions set in the law.

Now, if someone comes forward and says they heard this woman say, "I'm going to kill you" to the victim and then slammed her to the ground, then there might be cause for a murder charge.
Vehicular manslaughter by drunk driving is a different penal code in most, if not all states I believe. A drunk driver doesn't cross a street to choose one person to run over and kill. This woman singled out the other for whatever reason. Everyone knows there is a chance you can kill someone if you push them down hard enough, especially an elderly person. Was is done with malicious intent? We don't know yet but why did she cross the street to attack that elderly woman? I could be wrong but I suspect, like many of these type of cases, she will plea and be charged with man slaughter to get a lighter sentence.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:06 AM

17,558 posts, read 16,708,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not what it sounds like to me. Running across the street to push a stranger to the ground, cursing at her? If the perp truly didn't know the victim beforehand, there very well could be some kind of mental illness at the bottom of this. She got in a fight with her bf right afterwards. Some kind of Borderline Personality thing? Or, OTOH, maybe the victim was her high school music teacher, or something, against whom she was harboring a grudge. Even so, that behavior is way outside the norm.

Hopefully, this will be one story that will generate follow-up articles with more info.
There's too much of this business of violent thugs shoving and punching innocent and unsuspecting, often elderly, people to the ground. Some have been smacked down elevators and even off off train platforms.

I think this was more of the same violence. There's just too much of this sort of thing happening in NYC lately to think that it's all due to mental illness. These people know what they are doing. The question is why they are doing it.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:24 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,145,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
My niece had always wanted to visit NYC, so one year, she and her best friend went to NYC, and they had a blast. She said everyone she encountered were kind and helpful to them.
My twin daughters were invited to play at Carnegie in 2019 with their high school band & orchestra. I was blown away when my dad offered to pay for me & my autistic son, along with my then 22 year old daughter, to be able to go. A once in a lifetime chance for me ... Severe autism moms who have been intentionally unemployed for over a decade to caregive; don't get to "go on trips".

Everyone thought I was crazy. My son is very big, fast & strong & he functions socially as a 3 year old but no way was I going to turn it down.

Man, that kid was a NYC boss. He always walks a few steps ahead of me & he "stomps" while he walks, with his arms in the air, kind of like how guys stomp in a mosh pit. Those Times Square hecklers would go to step in front of us & you'd see their eyes get really big & they'd step back, lol.

We were separated from the school group multiple times because he likes to do his own thing & everywhere we went, we were treated with smiles, kindness & helpfulness by the citizens of Manhattan. It was just me & him most of the time. We "moshed" down Wall St, through Chinatown, Battery Park, the WTC & 911 Memorial, up & down 7th Avenue, Staten Island, etc & never had not one problem. We got lost MULTIPLE times, on foot, including in the subways & people were always so helpful. A transit employee gave my son his own map of the entire NYC transit system (my kid LOVES maps), which totally made his day. He was so impressed with our first Uber driver because he was from Alexandria, Egypt (pyramids & mummies!). Our 2nd Uber driver told me, my oldest daughter & my son "I love you guys" when he dropped us off, lol. The mounted police in Times Square posed with him for a picture. Absolutely amazing people in NYC & I'll never understand the stereotype of "rude".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I'm wondering why this occurred. My thinking just can't get around -- ran across the street and shoved some unknown woman for no reason at all. I would expect that behavior out of a mentally disturbed person, but not an ordinary person, one without a past criminal record(?) which is what this woman seems to be. So I wonder, was she hoping to get that cab? Had she been waiting longer and the elderly woman managed to get a cab in a few minutes when she had been waiting 20? It could have been something like that. Not an excuse whatsoever, just looking for this case to make some kind of sense.
She has a looong history, going back to her school days, of being an entitled bully. Personally, I think she was just in a mood, made a quick scan of her surroundings, identified the most vulnerable person in her vicinity & targeted her. Just as simple as that. Because that's what bullies do.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My twin daughters were invited to play at Carnegie in 2019 with their high school band & orchestra. I was blown away when my dad offered to pay for me & my autistic son, along with my then 22 year old daughter, to be able to go. A once in a lifetime chance for me ... Severe autism moms who have been intentionally unemployed for over a decade to caregive; don't get to "go on trips".

Everyone thought I was crazy. My son is very big, fast & strong & he functions socially as a 3 year old but no way was I going to turn it down.

Man, that kid was a NYC boss. He always walks a few steps ahead of me & he "stomps" while he walks, with his arms in the air, kind of like how guys stomp in a mosh pit. Those Times Square hecklers would go to step in front of us & you'd see their eyes get really big & they'd step back, lol.

We were separated from the school group multiple times because he likes to do his own thing & everywhere we went, we were treated with smiles, kindness & helpfulness by the citizens of Manhattan. It was just me & him most of the time. We "moshed" down Wall St, through Chinatown, Battery Park, the WTC & 911 Memorial, up & down 7th Avenue, Staten Island, etc & never had not one problem. We got lost MULTIPLE times, on foot, including in the subways & people were always so helpful. A transit employee gave my son his own map of the entire NYC transit system (my kid LOVES maps), which totally made his day. He was so impressed with our first Uber driver because he was from Alexandria, Egypt (pyramids & mummies!). Our 2nd Uber driver told me, my oldest daughter & my son "I love you guys" when he dropped us off, lol. The mounted police in Times Square posed with him for a picture. Absolutely amazing people in NYC & I'll never understand the stereotype of "rude".

She has a looong history, going back to her school days, of being an entitled bully. Personally, I think she was just in a mood, made a quick scan of her surroundings, identified the most vulnerable person in her vicinity & targeted her. Just as simple as that. Because that's what bullies do.
Enjoyed your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events