Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 04:18 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Thank you -but it is happening for at least 18 -24 months already, not new.
Number "spoofing" and "phishing" has been around for a while but getting a message from yourself saying verizon is giving you a gift for paying your bill is a new scam according to verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 11:34 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
I get scam calls from fake numbers all the time. This week I got one from South Korea. Two months ago Zimbabwe lol.

They'll often spoof a number to have the same local area code or similar number to yours to try to make you think it's a local call.

ie) if your # is 123-456-7890 they'll spoof the call coming from 123-456-xxxx

Some will leave voicemails.

Most common for me are student loan forgiveness and extending a car warranty.
Occasionally I'll get the microsoft security scam.

Recently had a voicemail in bad broken english with an indian accent that they were the US customs and had seized an illegal package destined for me at the border. lol.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:00 PM

83 posts, read 55,928 times
yes, they are targeting paypal and amazon (also from fulfiller amazon account which I don't have) these past two weeks, very unusual and notable. Just make sure your numbers are recorded on paper in case they cease your ability to log in. also pay close attention to your bank account. This is not new, but it's notably surged within the last two weeks.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:22 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Number "spoofing" and "phishing" has been around for a while but getting a message from yourself saying verizon is giving you a gift for paying your bill is a new scam according to verizon.
Just from my own experience I was getting those “gift for paying your bill” all from the beginning of the pandemic- March 2020: from allegedly my phone carrier, as well as other phone carriers; from “Amazon, Home Depot, Apple, Venmo and some other mobile payment platforms.

The calls received as if from your own number were predating the pandemic for at least a couple of years.
Which was so obviously a spam/scam..

I just ignored those incidents or reported them if that function was available.

I use extensively the block unknown numbers function. The message are getting through though.
If the call is legit - the businesses/healthcare professionals/etc always live the voice mail - so I could call back at my convenience

Unfortunately, the spammers now started leaving voicemails as well.
Annoying..

Last edited by L00k4ward; 04-01-2022 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-01-2022, 01:43 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I rarely got real spam texts until a week or two ago. Now I'm blocking one or two a day.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I rarely got real spam texts until a week or two ago. Now I'm blocking one or two a day.
Unfortunately, it seems useless to block them: there are so many phone numbers in the world - we would never run out.

Someone, somewhere in the world is being spammed from your phone number …
More numbers will become available.

Isn’t it India? already switched to 11 digits phone numbers?

The US/Canada has a plan to move to 4 digit area codes when we use up all the current numbers in 20-25? years.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:56 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Just from my own experience I was getting those “gift for paying your bill” all from the beginning of the pandemic- March 2020: from allegedly my phone carrier, as well as other phone carriers; from “Amazon, Home Depot, Apple, Venmo and some other mobile payment platforms.

The calls received as if from your own number were predating the pandemic for at least a couple of years.
Which was so obviously a spam/scam..

I just ignored those incidents or reported them if that function was available.

I use extensively the block unknown numbers function. The message are getting through though.
If the call is legit - the businesses/healthcare professionals/etc always live the voice mail - so I could call back at my convenience

Unfortunately, the spammers now started leaving voicemails as well.
Annoying..
Verizon is saying this is a new type of spam.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Verizon is saying this is a new type of spam.
This is discussion from Sept 2021 Verizon Community: “bill paid. Freebie for you”

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Ver...1225889/page/2

This is ATT forum discussion from Sept -Dec 2021 about the same “gift for paying your bill on-time” type messages plus other types to trick people to follow links

https://forums.att.com/conversations...e20131f3af18bc

https://forums.att.com/conversations...1b701f6261014e

Things like that in a slightly different form regarding “free” gift cards were known since at least 2014

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-al...ze-waiting-you

Different variations:”compensation” for a brief service interruption, etc

https://www.thatsnonsense.com/beware...m-att-verizon/

Old 04-02-2022, 09:12 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeOfRedundancy View Post
yes, they are targeting paypal and amazon (also from fulfiller amazon account which I don't have) these past two weeks, very unusual and notable. Just make sure your numbers are recorded on paper in case they cease your ability to log in. also pay close attention to your bank account. This is not new, but it's notably surged within the last two weeks.
I wonder if that’s coincidental with the Russian war? I know they have stepped up cyber attacks in general.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Any email/texts that claims to be from my bank, credit card, whatever, that doesn't use my name, gets deleted immediately. Phone calls, same thing.

I got a text from Discover Card several months ago asking me if I had charged $1100 or so at Best Buy and if I had, to text back "yes." Thinking it was a scam, I deleted it without answering. Can't remember if they used my name.

Several minutes later I get a voice mail asking the same thing.

I decided to call Discover Card to settle this, and... guess what?

My card HAD been hacked. The CSR who picked up my call saw it on my account. They switched me to the Fraud Department, where they reversed the bogus charge, and issued me a new card under a new number.

Any time you get a text or call claiming to be from your financial institution(s), always call them directly to follow up. It may actually be legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events