Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 07:03 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,932 times

Advertisements

I put this in current events on purpose. Please don't bring politics onto this thread because I would like as many people as possible to see this story. It already happened to my phone 3 days ago, exactly how the news shows it, except the text came under "Me" not my number, which is how I have it listed in contacts. I did not open the link figuring it was a new type of hack and apparently it is.

Quote:
Major carriers have told customers to be alert of possible scam texts that appear to be sent from your own number, plus a possible sign of a Russian connection.
https://youtu.be/KBYugjqxelA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 08:25 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
I often text a note to myself when I want to remember something like a name, TV show, street name so I am used to getting texts from my phone number. This was different since I didn't text to myself the other day. I knew it was spam, but I clicked on the link anyway and got a message "Do you want this website to know your location?". I exited out and deleted the single text. I'm on Verizon.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:42 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
I've been getting phone calls/texts from various banks (Chase, Citi, Fidelity, etc) leaving a message that they noticed an unauthorized transaction of 10,000 and to call them back immediately. I called Citi instead and they told me this is a scam and that I did the right thing by not calling the number to which this person called.

They are getting sneaky.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:48 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Any email/texts that claims to be from my bank, credit card, whatever, that doesn't use my name, gets deleted immediately. Phone calls, same thing.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:00 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Any email/texts that claims to be from my bank, credit card, whatever, that doesn't use my name, gets deleted immediately. Phone calls, same thing.
Same here. Texts/calls to me from numbers not in my contacts are usually spam. Except when I have a doctor's appointment and I have to put up with the 10 reminder texts before the appt and the 4 texts afterwards asking me to rate the appointment.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:28 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Dr OZ keeps sending me texts about pot oil, lol. Of course, they aren't real. I've been getting a lot more spam lately.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:12 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
And using your name doesn't necessarily guarantee they're safe.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:22 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
These are coming with your own name on it. I got a call like this recently, it had my name on it!

I can't watch YouTube right now (on lunch at work) so I can't see the gist of it yet or what they are trying to do.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Received a text less than an hour from my name, saying here's a little something for you with a link in it. I deleted it, I usually just block and delete.... if it's a call and I don't know the number, I automatically block...

Old 03-31-2022, 02:27 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I put this in current events on purpose. Please don't bring politics onto this thread because I would like as many people as possible to see this story. It already happened to my phone 3 days ago, exactly how the news shows it, except the text came under "Me" not my number, which is how I have it listed in contacts. I did not open the link figuring it was a new type of hack and apparently it is.

https://youtu.be/KBYugjqxelA
Thank you -but it is happening for at least 18 -24 months already, not new.

We should use a burner phone number from google voice- when we must provide our phone # on some websites - a massive data gathering of unprecedented proportions.

Often to shop - or even to open some sites one is required to sign up, create account, etc. and confirm the phone number

Immediately - I notice the increase in spam texts and calls.

Some accounts are impossible to cancel, delete - even if you are not buying anything from them anymore and not planning to or even just visiting them.

Yesterday spent more than a hour on a phone waiting for someone in the Philippines to delete my account/data with the Best Buy.
You can’t delete it on-line, must call them.
What a waste of resources, the bandwidth, the capacity
It should be outlawed just due to this - what if there is a national emergency?

FUBO TV is another horrible one - impossible to remove the e-mail, must abandon the e-mail address.

As a public we need to fight back: the terms of the account removal must be known in advance and the account must “self-destruct” after 3-6-12 months, whatever the legislature decides…if no activity, etc.

Some less important sites which allow it - I just change the data to some nonsense…but it is not always possible - they hold onto it as gold reserves

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-31-2022 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events