Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 10:03 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
This is discussion from Sept 2021 Verizon Community: “bill paid. Freebie for you”

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Ver...1225889/page/2

This is ATT forum discussion from Sept -Dec 2021 about the same “gift for paying your bill on-time” type messages plus other types to trick people to follow links

https://forums.att.com/conversations...e20131f3af18bc

https://forums.att.com/conversations...1b701f6261014e

Things like that in a slightly different form regarding “free” gift cards were known since at least 2014

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-al...ze-waiting-you

Different variations:”compensation” for a brief service interruption, etc

https://www.thatsnonsense.com/beware...m-att-verizon/
Verizon says this is new because it comes from your number to your phone as a text. I did take a look at the first page of the first link you posted. Those came from other numbers.

Anyways, the more people who are aware the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 01:49 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 24 days ago)

27,637 posts, read 16,123,288 times
Is there a specific government agency that is investigating these scams? I never hear of arrests or busts.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:54 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Is there a specific government agency that is investigating these scams? I never hear of arrests or busts.
Many of the scammers are overseas, Russia, Africa etc. We can’t do anything even if we know who they are.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:30 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Spam texts are becoming more and more of a problem. But just like I refuse to click on links in emails sent by people I don't know, I have the same approach for text messages.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:57 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Not only that. Be on the lookout for fake checks. Do NOT deposit! I look at all checks suspiciously now. Especially, if I don't know what it's for.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/ho...ke-check-scams

Old 04-02-2022, 06:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Any time you get a text or call claiming to be from your financial institution(s), always call them directly to follow up. It may actually be legit.
Yeah. That happened to me too. Citibank kept calling me telling me there's a fraud alert on my card & to call them back. I ignored it thinking it was a scam only to find that my card was locked up. I called Citi and they said because I didn't call them back, they had to freeze it.

So... just in case, give them a call. Although Citi keeps saying they won't call or text or e-mail you, they actually do!

Old 04-02-2022, 08:10 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. That happened to me too. Citibank kept calling me telling me there's a fraud alert on my card & to call them back. I ignored it thinking it was a scam only to find that my card was locked up. I called Citi and they said because I didn't call them back, they had to freeze it.

So... just in case, give them a call. Although Citi keeps saying they won't call or text or e-mail you, they actually do!
It doesn’t say they won’t call text or email you. They always contact you if they suspect fraud. What it says is that they won’t call text or email you and ask you for personal information.

When I drove from New Jersey to Texas years ago, Discover sent me a message when I was maybe at my third gas station in 3rd different state on the same day, and they wouldn’t let the charge go through until I called them. Because that’s sometimes a red flag of suspicious card activity. i’ve also had them call me to ask if I just made a charge for such and such. Because whatever the charge was for didn’t seem in character to my normal purchases so the computer flagged it. Just call the number on the back of your card when you get those calls, not the number they tell you to call in the message.

Also a real email will always have your name. It won’t say dear Citi customer or anything like that.

My fiancé’s mother got one saying there was fraud with her social security and they were stopping her checks he use of it. She’s in her 70’s and called him panicking. It took 20 minutes to convince her not to call them and we googled and gave her the real SS number to reassure herself.

That’s a big issue. I used to want my mom to use a smart phone or computer and she never wanted to. As the scam issues really became widespread I was very glad I never convinced her because I don’t think she would have been savvy enough not to make a mistake.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:18 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

I had that happen too, with my bank. Only the charges (this concerned my ATM/Debit card) were all made at local stores and weren't bogus, they were all mine! I didn't mind that, though, better safe than sorry.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:36 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,226 times
The day my phone sends me a text is the day it goes in the burn barrel.
There's enough tech now that has its own mind, I sure don't need that one.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:40 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Just started getting these spam text messages last week......at least I don`t get calls about my car warranty expiring any more. I guess they have become to much of a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events