Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2022, 06:38 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,289,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I have administered many pension plans and I repeat unless you have read this pension plan, you do not know. Just because someone is terminated does not mean they and/or the beneficiaries are not entitled to a pension. That is called a vested benefit. Many government pension plans are contributory and you are 100% vested in your own contributions. Some plans pay a death benefit. Get back to me after you have read the plan.
yes my roommates dad retired from civil service.

After he passed, the government sent the kids several thousand dollars each. Money that was still in his account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 06:53 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

No, thank you. I am actually trying to ween myself away from that subforum. Way toxic ver there.
Russ/Uke topics are spread over a remarkable variety of subforms. Lots of choices besides the toxic one (fwiw). "Europe" is safe enough...

Old 05-12-2022, 07:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,212,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL. Well, ya know, "discussion" forums do tend to discuss. And as far as going off on weird tangents, this is nothing!

But if you prefer, we could meet on one (or more) of the Russia/Ukraine threads, and fight about who should join NATO, or whether the US is only making things worse, or any number of related issues...

Good point.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:30 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,156,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
My guess is it would be split between her parents. Since she is dead (not going to serve jail time) I don't see how they could take back any personal contributions before her official fired date. I wonder if they could "bill" her employers previous contributions for the tax payers cost of the manhunt?

I would be very interested if a death benefit was payed out and by who. She could also have others that are not through her employer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Yes, I'm aware that it is possible that she may have been entitled to her portion of the pension contribution and/or the whole enchilada if she was vested. Or not. I can only go by what Sheriff Singleton said to the press, which was that she lost her state-funded contributions to her pension. I imagine he knows more about it than you do. However, this is not your debate. Your debate is your completely ridiculous proposition that Casey W was plotting to claim it. It's so preposterous that I will not comment on this anymore, except to say, let's take a bet on it, Maddie. Let's see if he files down the road. Up for it? I'll post back if he does and you can take me to the C-D cleaners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
All of this because I posted, "Or he may be angling for the pension?" No, I have better things to do.
Why did you quote me here?

ETA: I haven't seen anything about the car wash owner getting the reward yet. I hope they don't try to say he didn't earn it.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-12-2022 at 11:38 PM..

Old 05-12-2022, 11:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Quote:

ETA: I haven't seen anything about the car wash owner getting the reward yet. I hope they don't try to say he didn't earn it.
I was thinking the same thing. Apparently, there are several petitions circulating.

https://www.wevv.com/news/petitions-...63292b803.html

Quote:
Since the death of Vicky White and the apprehension of Casey White, several petitions have surfaced, vying for ‘Car Wash James’ right to the money.

This includes the petition started by Amber Savallo who has garnered over a thousand signatures.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
As far as her pension, who knows, but here's the Alabama policy on that:

Quote:
Alabama
Act 2012-412 requires members of TRS, ERS and JRF convicted of a felony offense related to their public position to forfeit their right to lifetime retirement benefits. However, the employee would receive a refund of his or her retirement contributions. This legislation is not retroactive and does not affect any member that has already been found guilty of an offense.
https://www.nasra.org/files/Compiled...20statutes.pdf

I'm sure at the time of his statement, Sheriff Singleton was sure she'd be caught and convicted, so yes, she would have forfeited her contributions in that case. But she died without being convicted, and I doubt she'll be tried posthumously.

Old 05-13-2022, 04:53 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times
Were it not for Car Wash James, that couple might still be on the loose. Why is the reward money in question?

Old 05-13-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As far as her pension, who knows, but here's the Alabama policy on that:
Quote:
Alabama
Act 2012-412 requires members of TRS, ERS and JRF convicted of a felony offense related to their public position to forfeit their right to lifetime retirement benefits. However, the employee would receive a refund of his or her retirement contributions. This legislation is not retroactive and does not affect any member that has already been found guilty of an offense.
https://www.nasra.org/files/Compiled...20statutes.pdf

I'm sure at the time of his statement, Sheriff Singleton was sure she'd be caught and convicted, so yes, she would have forfeited her contributions in that case. But she died without being convicted, and I doubt she'll be tried posthumously.
From your quote, she would have gotten them back. They can't steal your personal contributions even if you committed a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Were it not for Car Wash James, that couple might still be on the loose. Why is the reward money in question?
That's what I want to know. Give him the $25k already. He deserves it. My god, even the cops just told him to have it towed away. He could have done just that and been done with it, but, it didn't feel right to him.
ETA: Also the reward money is a combination of 4 reward amounts.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:26 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
From your quote, she would have gotten them back. They can't steal your personal contributions even if you committed a crime.

That's what I want to know. Give him the $25k already. He deserves it. My god, even the cops just told him to have it towed away. He could have done just that and been done with it, but, it didn't feel right to him.
ETA: Also the reward money is a combination of 4 reward amounts.
I saw a show on this, it said those rewards are rarely paid out to people.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I saw a show on this, it said those rewards are rarely paid out to people.
I guess we will see in this case. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey is going to look pretty bad if it's not paid out. She is the one who increased it to 25k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events