Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2022, 09:25 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yeah, I was really hoping there would be surveillance footage somewhere. I wish just about everyone who could afford it would have Ring doorbells or some other such equipment that records video. I hope that stuff will start becoming more affordable since it appears to be such a huge help I think in either deterring crime or identifying criminals. Hoping the rumor turns into something vital. Wish someday doorbell cameras would surveillance residential streets everywhere (and that people would have them in the front and backyards. Like they would be as common as locks on your door).
A video doorbell would be irrelevant in cases like this one, where the intruder/s entered through a side door or window. (LE was examining one of the windows, at one point.) Even if the house had had surveillance at the front door, it would have offered no info about someone entering from the sliding door at the back porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 09:30 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A video doorbell would be irrelevant in cases like this one, where the intruder/s entered through a side door or window. (LE was examining one of the windows, at one point.) Even if the house had had surveillance at the front door, it would have offered no info about someone entering from the sliding door at the back porch.
But the good thing about ring cameras is they pick up a lot of activity on the street. I’ve seen a lot of robberies get solved because someone on the same street picked up video from their ring cameras. In this case it could have picked up someone driving up or walking around at 3:00 a.m. near the house. It may not tell anything useful but at least it could show if it’s one or more people, or possibly the height and weight range of the killer(s).

Old 11-27-2022, 09:40 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think the results may have been different if the killer didn’t know Ethan and Xana because he may have been more likely to leave the scene quickly and not go to kill Xana. But if everyone knew this guy and the guy knew Xana would be in the room then he’d go there. Of course it’s always possible that he’d check the room even if a stranger, but it was just my theory of why the couple were killed when they probably were not the target.
It's a good theory, but I don't see that the results would be any different. If he interrupted the crime, then he would have had to be killed too, regardless of if he knew the killer or not. The acquaintances have all been cleared anyway. So it seems impossible that he could have known the killer.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:48 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
I was thinking if a bunch of kids came over after the murders they left fingerprints and footprints all over the place that now have to be separated from possible evidence. Even police in a town where murders are so very rare would muddy up the crime scene at first.
The murders took place on the 2nd and 3rd floor. My guess, and of course it is only a guess, is that the roommates went up to the second floor, saw something horrifying and ran back downstairs to call their friends. The friends came over, went up the stairs, saw the same thing and ran back down to call 911.

They were not traipsing all over a bloody crime scene touching stuff. They were terrified, not knowing what happened but were able to convey to the 911 operator that something was very wrong. That is why a cop arrived to clear the scene before medics could go into the house.

I would be very surprised if the 911 operator didn't tell the kids to get out of the house and wait for the police.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:09 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
It could have been and the perp didn’t want to go to the basement first floor to kill the other roommates either because he was unaware there was another level with bedrooms or he didn’t want to get trapped down there with no escape route if things went south. And if the two upstairs groups arrived at the same time and the other two were already home and in their beds, then a stranger following the girls home wouldn’t have seen them but would have known about the couple and the two other girls. Very possible.

If we knew the order of when the victims were killed it would tell a lot. The police know that information but we do not. They know something that tells them this was a targeted attack, and they probably get that from the order of the killings and perhaps the severity of the attack on one or more of the victims being different than on the other victims.
You see that kind of eliminates the possibility of a psychopath serial killer. If this was a psychopath killer and he had already killed four people, and there was no indication that police were on their way, he would have stayed around and searched the house for any more potential victims to kill.

This seems to me to be a panic case of someone who was trying to get out of there as quickly as possible, and killing people as he went. But only the people he came in contact with.

That makes me think burglary gone wrong. But I might add the possibility of an attempted sexual assault. If these girls were as active on social media as it sounds like they were, it probably wouldn't be hard for someone to figure out where they live.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:26 AM

I think that the killer got hurt in the attack and was possibly bleeding, himself. Maybe there was a struggle and the killer was afraid that the noise would have awakened the girls downstairs and that they would be calling 911. That's why he left before attacking the girls downstairs.

Last edited by springfieldva; 11-27-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-27-2022, 10:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The murders took place on the 2nd and 3rd floor. My guess, and of course it is only a guess, is that the roommates went up to the second floor, saw something horrifying and ran back downstairs to call their friends. The friends came over, went up the stairs, saw the same thing and ran back down to call 911.

They were not traipsing all over a bloody crime scene touching stuff. They were terrified, not knowing what happened but were able to convey to the 911 operator that something was very wrong. That is why a cop arrived to clear the scene before medics could go into the house.

I would be very surprised if the 911 operator didn't tell the kids to get out of the house and wait for the police.
My guess was that the police/EMS arriving on the scene were shocked to find what they did, considering they were answering a call of an unresponsive person/someone passed out. That's not what was going on, at all.

When the 911 operator takes an "unresponsive roommate" call, they wouldn't tell the group making the call to leave the house, I don't think.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess was that the police/EMS arriving on the scene were shocked to find what they did, considering they were answering a call of an unresponsive person/someone passed out. That's not what was going on, at all.

When the 911 operator takes an "unresponsive roommate" call, they wouldn't tell the group making the call to leave the house, I don't think.
The police officer went into the house. I doubt that the medics ever went inside. It must have been obvious to the cops that there was no need for the medics.

The callers managed to convey to the 911 operator that something was very wrong and that is why a cop was dispatched to the scene in the first place. Usually when a medical emergency happens the paramedics along with a fire truck or two arrive at the scene, not the police.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:53 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that the killer got hurt in the attack and was possibly bleeding, himself. Maybe there was a struggle and the killer was afraid that the noise would have awakened the girls downstairs and that they would be calling 911. That's why he left before attacking the girls downstairs.
LE has speculated, that he may not have known there were bedrooms on the ground floor, which was effectively the basement.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LE has speculated, that he may not have known there were bedrooms on the ground floor, which was effectively the basement.
I think that the individual who did this planned the attack, spent some time watching the house and knew very well that there were two pretty, young women on the ground floor. Something happened to make the killer bolt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events