Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 01:55 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't agree that it's just a technology gap... It's a cultural shift. I think I can speak for my generation in saying that we weren't raised to beg for freebies and expect others to bail us out, especially of predictable situations or those that are our own fault. If that were the case, we'd have used current "technology" to call people (including strangers) on the phone to wire us money, sent out mass mailings asking for donations, or tacked up flyers on telephone poles advertising our need.

We didn't and wouldn't have dreamed of it.
I think it's much easier to sit behind a computer and set up a web page with sob story photos than it would be to call neighbors/friends/strangers to ask for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 01:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I think it's much easier to sit behind a computer and set up a web page with sob story photos than it would be to call neighbors/friends/strangers to ask for money.
It's also "much easier" to shoot someone with a gun than manually strangle them, but there are people to whom it would never occur to do either one.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:08 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Then why aren't there signs up about this? Like i said I live near the beach and it never occurred to me to not dig holes because of sea turtles.
Depends on the beach. Sea turtles don't crawl up on every beach in the US. Obviously, beaches known for previous arribadas (and not just for sea turtles BTW. Pits and vehicle ruts trap nesting birds and chicks too) should be warning about leaving holes. Bet many of them already do.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-28-2024 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-28-2024, 02:16 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Depends on the beach. Sea turtles don't crawl up on every beach in the US. Obviously, beaches known as nesting areas (and not just for sea turtles BTW. Pits and vehicle ruts trap nesting birds and chicks too) should be warning about leaving holes. Bet many of them already do.
the beach near me closes for quite a few weeks in July because of plovers...so believe I get it...but I can't say people around town are screaming, OMG if you dig holes be sure to cover them up...and there's never been any issues as far as that goes.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Apparently some people need these signs. I never would have thought the need for signs that say beware of digging holes and climbing into them due to collapsing sand. I again think this a freak accident more than anything else but people are bringing up other reasons as to why holes shouldn't be dug at the beach.
A freak accident? . An accident (meaning the action wasn't intentional) sure, but not a freak. The possibility/likelihood that a sand hole will eventually collapse on and bury the people digging it is significant. OTOH, a freak can be defined as occurring "under highly unusual and unlikely circumstances". Not what this was. If hole dangers were so unusual and unexpected, why has so much beach user signage and literature warned against, prohibited, or required them to be filled in once the diggers are done with them? Probably not a chicken-or-the-egg situation. Rather a cause-and-effect situation instead.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:24 PM

To me this seems like a freak accident as in it's something that doesn't happen often. Most people don't go on vacation to the beach in FL with their 7 year old and have her get buried in the sand and die. If that doesn't seem like a freakish sort of accident to you then I don't know what to tell you. It certainly seems unexpected to me.

I just can't with this thread anymore.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:44 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
the beach near me closes for quite a few weeks in July because of plovers...so believe I get it...but I can't say people around town are screaming, OMG if you dig holes be sure to cover them up...and there's never been any issues as far as that goes.

For the endangered birds such as plovers, holes in the sand weren't the problem, it was parents who let their kids bypass the "Keep off Dunes" signs, which specifically say there are nests of endangered birds in there, because if they are paying $5000 to rent a house for a week, they think their kids should be able to do whatever they want. Them, and the ones who bring their dogs to the beach off leash (and in defiance of the "No dogs on beach" signs, and let them run through the dunes.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For the endangered birds such as plovers, holes in the sand weren't the problem, it was parents who let their kids bypass the "Keep off Dunes" signs, which specifically say there are nests of endangered birds in there, because if they are paying $5000 to rent a house for a week, they think their kids should be able to do whatever they want. Them, and the ones who bring their dogs to the beach off leash (and in defiance of the "No dogs on beach" signs, and let them run through the dunes.
Unsupervised kids, trespassing in dunes, and loose dogs on the beach certainly are hazards for nesting birds but speaking as a former manager for a plover nesting beach they aren't the only ones. Vehicle ruts are well known to trap non-flight capable nestlings. They fall into them and end up running along them endlessly trying to find a way out. This exposes them to heat, cold, predators, exhausts them and separates them from their parents. Leaving dug holes in the sand does the same thing.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:08 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Unsupervised kids, trespassing in dunes, and loose dogs on the beach certainly are hazards for nesting birds but speaking as a former manager for a plover nesting beach they aren't the only ones. Vehicle ruts are well known to trap non-flight capable nestlings. They fall into them and end up running along them endlessly trying to find a way out. This exposes them to heat, cold, predators, exhausts them and separates them from their parents. Leaving dug holes in the sand does the same thing.
We had beach rakes in the morning and the lifeguards have a couple of ATVs, but no other vehicles are allowed on the beach. I guess the vehicles above could make those ruts too.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:48 PM

In my town there is a huge divide over what to do with the beaches. Some want to be able to keep going on there with their cars and whatever...others put nature first. I don't want to see the beach destroyed so I am kind of on team no cars...but I get the sadness of the folks who want to drive on the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events