Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should they be banned
yes 5 15.15%
no 26 78.79%
These people should jailed for every accident they cause 0 0%
Russel Wilson for President 2016 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,380,307 times

Advertisements

I am against laws that protect the stupid, let em ride it thins the herd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,183,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I wouldn't ban them, but I wouldn't ban hitting hipsters with vehicles, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY

Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I had no idea that this was a problem but this was my first thought. Is it any better to have a geared bike without brakes?
These are usually used for racing, no brakes. You won't see brakes on a lot of BMX bikes used for racing or tricks either.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

The same thing can happen on a bike when braking too hard with the front brake.
It all about the right touch and experience, if you're good enough you ride the front wheel on purpose.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,283,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It all about the right touch and experience, if you're good enough you ride the front wheel on purpose.
Sure, anything is possible on a bike with experience.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,183,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly there is brakes on that bike depicted in the video front and back, secondly a fixed gear bike could be any ratio you want. It doesn't have to be geared for going fast.

The only issue here is no brakes, using a bike with no brakes for everyday use is just plain stupid.
The video is intended for those that don't know what a fixed gear bike is. I'm not referring specifically to that bike. I assumed people outside of Portland or Seattle knew what a Fixie is, but apparently a lot of people don't know about this popular trend in inner city bike culture.

So hear is the deal
People make custom bikes out of older style 10 speeds called fixies. They have a fixed gear does not allow a bike to coast, and they typically have NO BREAKS. The cranks on these bikes are always in motion providing the rear wheel is spinning like a unicycle. You can purchase a commercially made fixie with hand breaks like the one in the video, but due to the laws of physics these bikes do not stop easily. The momentum of the rear gear overpowers the breaks at moderate speeds, which severely effects your ability to stop unless you hammer the font break, which will cause you to wreck.

here is a better video that is more specific to the actual bikes I'm talking about for those that are unfamiliar with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0bN55nfoFw

Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,808,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, they stop when you apply the brakes. Some fixed gear bikes do not have brakes, but the one in your video did.

This one does not have brakes
Finally an actual example.

Who in his right mind would ride a bike with no brakes, where he might expect traffic?

If a car or pedestrian pops up in front of them, how do they stop???

Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,283,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Finally an actual example.

Who in his right mind would ride a bike with no brakes, where he might expect traffic?

If a car or pedestrian pops up in front of them, how do they stop???
If you know how to ride one of those bikes, it is actually pretty easy to ride it in traffic. I know a number of guys who have full control over their bikes as if it is an extension of themselves.

How do you stop on a bike with brakes if a pedestrian or car pops up in front of you? People on fixed gear bikes also use their brakes, but the brakes on a fixed gear are different than the brakes on a regular free wheel bike.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM

47,050 posts, read 26,153,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If I am not mistaken, motorcycles have a much different brake system from a bicycle.
I ride both. Barring a few over-engineered linked systems (looking at you, Honda), motorcycle brakes are just dimensioned to deal with the much larger forces - the rear-to-front load shift happens for both.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,199,628 times
Leave them be. If they are breaking the law they should be ticketed for that. The fact that YOU don't like something doesn't mean they should be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling