Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should they be banned
yes 5 15.15%
no 26 78.79%
These people should jailed for every accident they cause 0 0%
Russel Wilson for President 2016 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,345,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In California, they are. Don't know about other states. Bikes and pedestrians don't mix too well.
That law keeps changing.

Currently, it is legal to ride a bicycle on the side in California in the area which it's approved as long as the bicyclist yields to pedestrians. Not legal in Hollywood.

Out here in the valley, where I live, it is legal, of which I am glad. With some streets, the cars are only about 1 foot away from me and I don't trust a white line (or no line) to keep me safe. Where I bicycle, there are few pedestrians on the sidewalks, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
The video is intended for those that don't know what a fixed gear bike is. I'm not referring specifically to that bike. I assumed people outside of Portland or Seattle knew what a Fixie is, but apparently a lot of people don't know about this popular trend in inner city bike culture.

So hear is the deal
People make custom bikes out of older style 10 speeds called fixies. They have a fixed gear does not allow a bike to coast, and they typically have NO BREAKS. The cranks on these bikes are always in motion providing the rear wheel is spinning like a unicycle. You can purchase a commercially made fixie with hand breaks like the one in the video, but due to the laws of physics these bikes do not stop easily. The momentum of the rear gear overpowers the breaks at moderate speeds, which severely effects your ability to stop unless you hammer the font break, which will cause you to wreck.

here is a better video that is more specific to the actual bikes I'm talking about for those that are unfamiliar with the them.
I don't understand. What was broken on the bike?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,181,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Leave them be. If they are breaking the law they should be ticketed for that. The fact that YOU don't like something doesn't mean they should be banned.
I don't dislike them at all. I just don't think a bike that has compromised braking system should be allowed in an urban environment. You would be blown away at how many accidents these things cause. If I'm required by law to wear a helmet, have a light on my bike at night and register my bicycle with the city, I don't think it's that big of a deal to require a bike to have an actual break.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't understand. What was broken on the bike?

It's an inside joke............read the rest of the thread dippy
also, I've read your posts before. You don't understand much of anything outside of that dumb book LOL

Old 03-25-2014, 03:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is set up as a standard single speed road bike, the cog has been flipped to turn the rear wheel into a fixed gear. He seems to be showing the difficulties in riding a fixed gear bike, which is something that takes time to understand properly because it doesn't function like a normal bike. In the end of the video it seems like he starts to ride off as if he knows how to actually ride a fixed gear bike.

What is a cog?
My Webco is a fixed single speed. I still have 3 sets of sprockets for the different gearing I wanted for the day of racing.

Nothing hard about riding them.

Now, Is the rear sprocket attached to the rear wheel where it doesn't freewheel

Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What is a cog?
My Webco is a fixed single speed. I still have 3 sets of sprockets for the different gearing I wanted for the day of racing.

Nothing hard about riding them.

Now, Is the rear sprocket attached to the rear wheel where it doesn't freewheel
yup

Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,963,612 times
[quote=lucky4life;34030416]For those that have been living under a rock, fixed gear bikes are those stupid trendy bikes with no brakes that hipsters ride in cities like Austin, Portland, Boston or Seattle. I live in Seattle and they're everywhere now. I honestly could care 2 @#%$'s what kind of bike other cyclists want to ride, but these bikes cause accidents because they're hard to stop unless you're an experienced rider. The problem is that it's a trend, which means most of these idiots are not experienced riders. As a cyclist, I feel that these morons are are literally changing the perception of cyclists in my city.

here is a video of this stupid trend

You are right about the changing perceptions of cyclists right about who is helping change them, the morons. Note though that the morons don't ride fixed gear bikes only.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
It's an inside joke............read the rest of the thread dippy
also, I've read your posts before. You don't understand much of anything outside of that dumb book LOL
"Dumb book?" The subjects I have the most books on are either Cadillacs or Seismology. I didn't realize those subjects were dumb.

I also have a few books on bicycles and bicycle riding.

BTW, not nice (and against the TOS) to make personal attacks. I have an interest in many subjects.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
"Dumb book?" The subjects I have the most books on are either Cadillacs or Seismology. I didn't realize those subjects were dumb.

I also have a few books on bicycles and bicycle riding.

BTW, not nice (and against the TOS) to make personal attacks. I have an interest in many subjects.
I have you confused with another poster

Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I have you confused with another poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling