Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times

Advertisements

Mesquite is pretty cool, they have a large mall called Town East Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaY12345 View Post
LOL, Which is going in which direction?
Mesquite seems to be headed down, but its by no means a bad place. Garland is finally on the upswing. I will admit Garland stagnated for years, mostly do to poor planning by city officials. While just about every city around grew its retail base Garland didn't and it started to show. The commercial growth is nice, but the city is also stepping up code enforcement and coming down on dead beat landlords. They have closed at least a couple of run down apartment complexes.

I can remember living in Rowlett as a kid, there was one grocery store and a handful of restaurants. Basically if you lived in Rowlett you had to go to Garland or Mesquite to do any business. At the time Mesquite seemed to have everything, movie theaters, a mall, tons of restaurants

At the time Garlands southern sector was its nicer area. The northern area was a no mans land. There are still some very nice areas tucked away in south Garland I think that would surprise most people. Even when the Garlands southern sector was booming it didn't hold a candle to Mesquite. Retail wise there a couple big box stores, tons of fast food joints, Hypermart, and grocery stores. The first On The Border Restaurant is in south Garland as well as one of the first Chilis. Not great claims to fame, but it used to be something.

Rowlett started to head in the same direction as Garland, but has yet to have any areas slide down hill. They seemed to nip it in the bud pretty quickly and there has been a lot of commercial growth in the area. Gone are the days when the people or Rowlett didn't want 190 coming through.

It's bittersweet to see places change, but growth is good. I always look at commercial growth as a good thing, it means people in the area have money to spend and the area is not economically depressed.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I really wish Mesquite would adopt some of Garland city planning ideas. There is no upper middle class housing in the city. You would be hard pressed to find anything over 225k. Seems most people who want more house move to Rockwall. You really need some upper end housing in order make a city more diserable. For what ever reason they don't see this. I'm still bappy being a resident here but things could certainly be done better.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 PM

101 posts, read 289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I really wish Mesquite would adopt some of Garland city planning ideas. There is no upper middle class housing in the city. You would be hard pressed to find anything over 225k. Seems most people who want more house move to Rockwall. You really need some upper end housing in order make a city more diserable. For what ever reason they don't see this. I'm still bappy being a resident here but things could certainly be done better.
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at a street called Loma Alta. I thought it was nice because it had some sort of decent size pond or minature lake sort of right across the street from the subdivision.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
It depends on where you will work and if you have kids in school. Living in Garland and working in Lewisville, could be a very nasty drive. Living in Corinth and working in downtown Dallas. Let us know where your work is, if you have kids in school, what price range you want to be in, and if you have any special requirements like hobbies, church, sports, etc and we can point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas