Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Opinion View Post
Dallas was at one time a leader in the fashion industry but now it is an industry joke.
But Dallas is home to the world's largest market center gathered in one place (meaning a few other cities have bigger market centers scattered about). So, what does this mean?
It means it is not a joke.
Like, how can you argue with clear evidence?
Once again, a fashion center is a place that is conscious about fashion.
Once again, here is the clear evidence:
Dallas Market Center
Dallas Apparel & Accessories Market

Dallas Apparel & Accessories Market is held every January, March, June, August and October inside FashionCenterDallas®. In addition to the permanent showrooms, you’ll also find a complementary blend of temporary exhibitors at this show. Dallas Market Center offers the most apparel and fashion accessories resources from leading designers and manufacturers across all categories including women’s fashion, menswear and children’s products.

Here is the shopping center that serves twenty-two surrounding states:
Highland Park Village | The Premier Shopping Experience of Dallas, Texas
And here are the three well known commercial shopping districts located north of it:
The Plaza at Preston Center
NorthPark Center - The Premier Shopping and Dining Center in Dallas
Galleria Dallas

Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Opinion View Post
Anyone who prefers Dallas to Houston IS wrong and should be told. Dallas is a dusty, cement encrusted, wannabee city that can't make it with the big boys. Moderator cut: rude . Why else to they keep creating new threads at city-data comparing themselves to Houston. Dallas likes to think it can compete. Houston likes to laugh at Dallas. The thing that gives native Dallasites any pride at all is football and beer drinkin'. Don't be fooled, 99% of Dallasites are not even aware that there is a fashion industry in Dallas because the overwhelming majority of Dallasites are blue collar rednecks and illegal aliens.
This is pretty funny. So youre not closed minded, other people are just wrong? I have never known one person in Dallas to be jealous of Houston. I havent known anyone from Houston to be jealous of Dallas either.

Most of the people creating Dallas vs. Houston threads are looking at moving to one or the other, thats it.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I meant among other races and yes Houston's Asian community is more segregated than DFW's. DFW does not have these huge mega Asian neighborhoods like Houston does. They Asians up here are a lot more spread out. In Houston, they clump more.

Pick your poison. Either its better to have huge Asian enclaves or its better to have them spread out more.

No matter what, you will always argue that Houston is better at whatever the topic at hand is wont you?
Umm you obviously don't know Houston too well do you?

Areas like Veterans Memorial on the NW side have a huge Vietnamese presence as well as Jersey Village & Cypress.

Stafford & Pearland have large Filipino communities. Spring on the Northside has quite a few too.

Southeast Houston near Scarsdale has an old established Vietnamese community with a Hong Kong Market & Pho restaurants.

Seabrook has Vietnamese & Filipino seafood businesses.

The small rural coastal town of Rosharon has a sizeable Cambodian community as well as Alvin.

A couple of Thai & Laos Temples you don't know about either on the Northside.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
I noticed that dallas does a lot more building, expansion, and promotion than Houston does. I think thats because Dallas doesnt really have many organically interesting/attractive features to it. Yet it has a ton of superficial attractions and is adding more by the day. More than Houston for sure. It seems like DFW will always have to compensate for its lackluster natural appeal by continuing to build and reinvest and then promoting those projects simply because on its own, Dallas doesnt appear very outwardly attractive.

I think Houston is lazier in its efforts because it is in very close proximity to either forests, beaches, hills or a combination thereof and it kind of takes that recreational potential for granted. And its space program and seaport/oil industries have probably attracted a more diverse array of people for a longer period of time, so few concerted efforts have been made to aggressively attract people to the city.

I dont know, but I did notice that DFW is constantly building and promoting new projects.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM

101 posts, read 226,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
1. Houston is America's 4th largest city & 5th largest metro. Soon to overtake Chicago's beloved crown as 3rd largest city after NYC & LA, respectively. If you can't find anything do do in Houston you must be a very boring person to be around.

2. Being Chinese you should've fit right into Houston as it has the South's largest Chinese & overall Asian population.

3. Houston's arts scene blows Dallas' away.

4. Uptown Dallas ain't all that walkable. No more so than Montrose, Lower Westheimer, or Rice Village.

5. If you have ever been to Asia you'd know those cities are zoned about as well as Houston is. Skyscrapers randomly placed all over. Los Angeles isn't zoned too well either. Everything there is so sprawling & cram packed you see prime examples of poor planning & zoning all over.

6. There are more beaches in the Houston area than just Galveston. Surfside is a little known secret amongst veteran Gulf Coast residents. Nothing beats freshly caught oysters from my friends seafood restaurant & market in Seabrook overlooking Galveston Bay either.
I understand you are one of those Houston defenders, and can easily get quite offended if someone doesn't enjoy his/her experience as much as you do, you can't just seriously call them boring?

To answer a few of your "statements":
* We walked all around Montrose, Lower Westheimer and Rice Village in Houston all the time, we wouldn't call it pleasant or easy comparing to Uptown, Highland Park, Turtle Creek Blvd in Dallas;
* Maybe I am one of those international Chinese that doesn't have to live among Asians, I enjoy my food from "Nobu" a lot more? so maybe I don't count largest Asian population in the South a real advantage for me? I think I've been to Houston Chinatown once;
*In fact, Sydney Australia is our previous hometown, but we briefly lived in Singapore, London, Paris, Melbourne, Shanghai, HongKong, and visited a lot more most populated large cities in the world, Houston has absolutely NO resemblance of any of these cities, and not in a good way.

We are all entitled to our own opinions based on individual experiences, we are just helping the person who raise the relocation question an informed decision.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Umm you obviously don't know Houston too well do you?

Areas like Veterans Memorial on the NW side have a huge Vietnamese presence as well as Jersey Village & Cypress.

Stafford & Pearland have large Filipino communities. Spring on the Northside has quite a few too.

Southeast Houston near Scarsdale has an old established Vietnamese community with a Hong Kong Market & Pho restaurants.

Seabrook has Vietnamese & Filipino seafood businesses.

The small rural coastal town of Rosharon has a sizeable Cambodian community as well as Alvin.

A couple of Thai & Laos Temples you don't know about either on the Northside.
I know a lot more about it than you think. My dad lives in Sugar Land and I spend one week a month working there. I love the city, but I stand by my opinion. Houston is more integrated overall no doubt, but the Asian community seems better integrated in DFW.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:56 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
This is pretty funny. So youre not closed minded, other people are just wrong? I have never known one person in Dallas to be jealous of Houston. I havent known anyone from Houston to be jealous of Dallas either.

Most of the people creating Dallas vs. Houston threads are looking at moving to one or the other, thats it.
All the places in India are the same. No difference between India and Pakistan or Bangledesh. The nations of India and China are the same. While the nation of India makes a lot of products, the nation of China makes a lot of products that can't be opened with the human hand.
I once bought a knife from Wal-Mart made in China. In trying to cut open the package, my scissors broke. Tragically, this led to my being committed to a mental hospital.
By the way, why do illegal alien parents while shopping in Wal-Mart allow their toddlers to stand up in the grocery cart to finger all the Chinese products? Talk about multi-cultural sophistication! Woo Hoo!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulous_nobody View Post
I understand you are one of those Houston defenders, and can easily get quite offended if someone doesn't enjoy his/her experience as much as you do, you can't just seriously call them boring?
You dont know our Matt very well.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM

33 posts, read 38,276 times
I live in uptown Dallas and it is not in anyway the slightest bit walkable. The sidewalks are empty 99% of the time.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM

33 posts, read 38,276 times
Dallas is the joke of the fashion industry. Only a fool would consider Dallas a major fashion hub. Dallas is way behind the times and anyone who says otherwise should try selling that idea to someone from New York or Paris. They will laugh right in your face. Dallasites are the only ones who believe the hype. Dallas has a fast growing reputation for being tacky. Why would anyone outside a joke shop care about what anyone working in Dallas' 'fashion' industry has to say. It would be like asking a truck driver to design an evening gown. Dallasites are delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas