Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,846,154 times

Advertisements

February is usually the coldest month for DFW and when we tend to have the greatest risk for Ice storms and snow. DFW and Chicago share similar weather patterns one gets EXTREME cold and the other gets EXTREME heat. As the previous poster stated it’s ignorant to say it never snows/ice or gets cold in DFW. DFW experiences all 4 seasons and it’s a dream job for a meteorologist. Nothing like spring time in DFW when those big super cell thunderstorm roll into DFW dropping an occasional tornado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM

990 posts, read 2,304,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
You VASTLY overestimate the importance of American Football for the Entire World.

I have NEVER seen on TV or heard anyone talk about the Superbowl in my 27 years living in Europe. You really think that China, India, countries in Africa or even anyone in South America cares about the Superbowl???

There are two reasons why people in the world know Dallas. The TV show and the assassination.
Doesn't matter how many. At media day yesterday, there were media from all over the world, complete with cameras and their tv trucks. Someone is seeing it somewhere. Not to mention it will be broadcasts all over world.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
^^ We just love to make a debate about anything in a post.

ANYWAY... I have never known anyone to claim that Dallas is warm year 'round. Maybe they are mistaking Dallas for San Diego. Just look at my electric bill. The histogram looks like a suspension bridge. Many times over the years, when it snows, the streets are clear by the afternoon. A far cry from my days in Chicago when the snow was around for months, eventually becoming a dirty slush.I am just glad we have cycling pretty much year round. Not many places in the midwest can claim that.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Well it's kinda like the whole tree scenario. People say we don't have trees which isn't true but since they aren't huge like they're used to they don't consider them. So same with the snow, we get maybe 1 or 2 days a year, but saying it snows seems a lil silly and seems to give off the wrong impression.
Dallas most definitely has trees and grass. I don't know why people would claim otherwise. Yeah, it's not Oregon but it has enough foliage. It's not a desert like Phoenix and most parts of Southern California. Dallas also lakes and some rolling hills.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
^^ We just love to make a debate about anything in a post.

ANYWAY... I have never known anyone to claim that Dallas is warm year 'round. Maybe they are mistaking Dallas for San Diego. Just look at my electric bill. The histogram looks like a suspension bridge. Many times over the years, when it snows, the streets are clear by the afternoon. A far cry from my days in Chicago when the snow was around for months, eventually becoming a dirty slush.I am just glad we have cycling pretty much year round. Not many places in the midwest can claim that.
No, you can't go cyclcing year round. That is a gross exaggeration. If you are having to wear thermal gear, a mask, and gloves to cycle in February, that is not cycling weather regardless if snow is not on the ground. When people claim they can cycle year round, they are talking about places like San Diego and Hawaii. Just because snow is not literally on the ground doesn't mean the weather is conducive to cycling if you have a fierce wind chill blowing in your face. By your definition, even people in Chicago can cycle year round because it doesn't snow everyday in February in Chicago either. The honest and most accurate answer is you can cycle most months out of the year in Dallas and more than in the Midwest but certainly not year round.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No, you can't go cyclcing year round. That is a gross exaggeration. If you are having to wear 3 layers of thermals, a mask, and gloves to cycle, that is not cycling weather. When people claim they can cycle year round, they live in places like San Diego and Hawaii. Just because there isn't literally snow on the ground doesn't mean the weather is conducive to cycling.
FYI, it was in the 70's here last week and over the weekend. One most certainly CAN cycle year round in Dallas and they very well do without having to be bundled up in multi layers. It is not unusual for Dallas to have winter days in the 50's-upper 60's with sunshine.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
When I lived in Texas, just South of Fort Worth, I wore shorts with a sweat shirt in the winter. Except of course when it snowed which was really unusual.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Quote:
No, you can't go cyclcing year round. That is a gross exaggeration. If you are having to wear thermal gear, a mask, and gloves to cycle in February, that is not cycling weather regardless if snow is not on the ground. When people claim they can cycle year round, they are talking about places like San Diego and Hawaii. Just because snow is not literally on the ground doesn't mean the weather is conducive to cycling if you have a fierce wind chill blowing in your face. By your definition, even people in Chicago can cycle year round because it doesn't snow everyday in February in Chicago either. The honest and most accurate answer is you can cycle most months out of the year in Dallas and more than in the Midwest but certainly not year round.
Oh yes I can cycle year round. And that is not a gross exaggeration. This is not even moot. Evidently you are not a cyclist. Come out and join us. We went last night. - Lights required though. Cycling clubs will be converging on the West End from points all over the Metroplex for our Annual Super Bowl Sunday ride. However, the Fort Worth Cycling club will be riding from the Mid Cities so as to avoid the Super Bowl traffic through Arlington.
GDB WebSite - Super Bowl Sunday Ride 2011

This last month, I logged over 400 miles. February, probably get the same. March, as windy as it is, I'll still get plenty. And I am not even one of the hard-core cyclists. So yeah, it's year round. When I lived in Chicago, we had snow on the ground for over 5 months, now that was in '67 and that was, albeit, a remarkable year, but we couldn't cycle year round there. Here, it would be so rare that there wouldn't be a week that goes by without getting in a ride. Road condition is a heavily weighted determining factor. We are not in Bozeman, MT where they don studded tires for riding on ice. We just wait a couple of days.

With the technical seasonal apparel available, it's easy to ride year round without getting all bundled up like you suggested. Summer gloves - fingerless, winter gloves - fingered. No big woop.

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-01-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Was very interesting driving to the store this morning. Cars slipping and sliding everywhere, even at the slightest turn that was a little too fast. Be safe, especially on the secondary roads.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,339 times
Quote:
What on earth are you talking about? It was 70 degrees this weekend. And it will be 60 degrees next weekend. So we had a super-cold week that we haven't had in 25+ years. Can't go cycling for a week -- I still call that pretty good.

You can go cycling year round. Maybe not every day, but I have a hard time believing that weather is perfect 365 days a year in San Diego and Hawaii.

It certainly snows or ices here once or twice a year. But it is usually not that big of an event. And anybody that has to wear thermal underwear and a mask in Dallas for cycling is an exceptional wimp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas