Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 PM

56 posts, read 121,862 times

Advertisements

Don't wanna sound like an ******* but I been looking at YouTube videos and news archives and pictures online of Dallas snow in 2008 2009 and 2010.

Why gives?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QbAnYtO View Post
Don't wanna sound like an ******* but I been looking at YouTube videos and news archives and pictures online of Dallas snow in 2008 2009 and 2010.

Why gives?

It snows maybe once or twice a year. It's no big deal. It only lasts a day or two at most.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 PM

But it stills snows. People are telling me it's nonexistent.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,513 times
I've noticed the same thing. People here have extremely short memories when it comes to the weather and it bugs me. I moved here from California a few years back and I have seen snow here in North Texas every winter except for one.

Yes, it isn't Michigan and people don't get snowed in but who the hell wants that? That isn't snow or winter wonderland, it's overkill. We have ideal snow events. It snows, sticks around a day (or two) for some photos and fun and then it melts. PERFECT! It is a treat instead of a chore.

Yet, every year (heard someone say this today), people native to this area still foolishly say, "It never snows in Texas." Umm WRONG! It NEVER snows where I lived in Central California. It snowed once in 15 years, at night, for one hour, and then it melted 15 minutes later. Didn't even come close to covering the ground. That was in 1997 and not one flake has fallen since. That is my idea of "NEVER SNOWS". Seriously North Texans, be thankful for what you have and acknowledge it. It is still snow even if it is 3-6 inches instead of 36 inches.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I've noticed the same thing. People here have extremely short memories when it comes to the weather and it bugs me. I moved here from California a few years back and I have seen snow here in North Texas every winter except for one.

Yes, it isn't Michigan and people don't get snowed in but who the hell wants that? That isn't snow or winter wonderland, it's overkill. We have ideal snow events. It snows, sticks around a day (or two) for some photos and fun and then it melts. PERFECT! It is a treat instead of a chore.

Yet, every year (heard someone say this today), people native to this area still foolishly say, "It never snows in Texas." Umm WRONG! It NEVER snows where I lived in Central California. It snowed once in 15 years, at night, for one hour, and then it melted 15 minutes later. Didn't even come close to covering the ground. That was in 1997 and not one flake has fallen since. That is my idea of "NEVER SNOWS". Seriously North Texans, be thankful for what you have and acknowledge it. It is still snow even if it is 3-6 inches instead of 36 inches.
That's like me saying it's never cold in Miami. It does get cold. Just no as often. But it is a treat

Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,576 times
I'm a Dallas native and I'd never tell anyone it doesn't snow in North Texas! Just because we don't need to invest in snowmobiles, plows, and tire chains does NOT mean we don't see winter snowfalls. A milder winter climate, compared to many places in the USA, cannot be mistaken for no winter at all. I've got snowmen pics to prove it.

Not to mention my DH thinks due to our frequently brutal wind chills, it actually 'feels' colder than when he lived in PA. I'm not sure why people spread the notion that Dallas never sees snow or frigid temps. (Of course there's people around here who don't think it gets all that intolerably hot here either; I'd beg to differ there as well. We DO have seasons, along with the extremes they're capable of bringing.)

Personally, I'd wish it would actually snow here more often rather than the sleet and freezing rain crap we inevitably get. Makes the roads deceivingly dangerous... especially to those drivers who are tend to associate everything covered in white as somehow a truer "winter" road condition. Not understanding what a slippery mess just one night of light freezing rain can produce makes for hellish commutes.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
No one has told you that it "never" snows. As I said in the previous thread, Dallas gets an average of a whopping 2.5 inches of snow a year. I am a 4th generation Dallasite and the crazy amount of snow we got last year (something like 14 inches in 1 day on 2/12/10!) was a once in a lifetime event. The Christmas Day 2009 snow was the first "white Christmas" in Dallas in several decades.

So yes, dude, it snows here. The climate is physically capable of snowing.

But it ain't Colorado or even the Texas Panhandle....which STILL doesn't see anywhere near the average US snowfall, despite being one of the "snowy-er" Texas cities.

Anything you're watching on YouTube from the 2009-2010 winter was extremely ABNORMAL for Dallas. Like once every 30, 50, or 70 years kind of abnormal. It may snow this winter, it may not. Will you be happy here if it's an "average" winter where we get an average 2.5"....spread over 2-3 "snowfalls?". Get out a ruler and see just how much .5" or 1" of snow at a time is....not muh. Enough that you can watch it snow for a few minutes, but hardly enough to make a snowman or really play in the snow. THAT is a "normal" Dallas winter.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
1) if snow is what you're using to decide between here and other places in Texas then you should probably come up with some better criteria. Or look at the panhandle.

2) if you are using a few postings of snow on the internet and using that as evidence of any real snow, you should keep in mind that it made the news for a reason. it isn't common.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,920 times
You seem fixated on snow.
Why?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 AM

164 posts, read 590,553 times
That foot of wet snow you got last February was my fault. We headed to Dallas to look at houses and get some relief from the weather here, stopped overnight I Little Rock and started out again in the morning. About 3 hours out of Dallas it started snowing and got heavier until we arrived in Dallas.
No snow shovels, I have the only snow brush for miles...what a mess.
So you all can blame me for the blizzard of 2010 - it followed me to Texas, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas