Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^This.

From what we know about you (career in luxury lifestyle services, lives in OC, likes to frequent froyo & cupcake stores, interested in fashion), Poetry (or any other town out in the sticks) sounds like the worst choice you could make. 600 people live there- you probably have more than 600 people living in your current sub-division or in your kid's schools.

Found this blog entry online about life in Poetry:
"No, I'm not kidding - I live in Poetry, TX. It's not really a town, but more like a community in the woods. We have a gas station & a feed store. It's at least 20 minutes to anywhere."

"I don't mind the 20 minute drive to work, at all. Or the slow satellite internet service. Or the lack of nearby stores or other conveniences."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
^^^^^^This.

From what we know about you (career in luxury lifestyle services, lives in OC, likes to frequent froyo & cupcake stores, interested in fashion), Poetry (or any other town out in the sticks) sounds like the worst choice you could make. 600 people live there- you probably have more than 600 people living in your current sub-division or in your kid's schools.

Found this blog entry online about life in Poetry:
"No, I'm not kidding - I live in Poetry, TX. It's not really a town, but more like a community in the woods. We have a gas station & a feed store. It's at least 20 minutes to anywhere."

"I don't mind the 20 minute drive to work, at all. Or the slow satellite internet service. Or the lack of nearby stores or other conveniences."
Hey now........ we got a new cell tower put in down the road last year and cell service is much better. Before that I had to go stand on the ROOF to get a signal (I'm not kidding either). As for internet service............. oh good grief...... got a computer down there and up until last year it was dial-up and if you were on the house phone...... no computer. If you were on the computer and the house phone rang..... it bumped you off OR it was a busy signal for the person trying to call you. Still dial-up but with a seperate number now and SLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Our lakehouse is in Tawakoni which is not far from Poetry. Yep, Poetry is just a community more than an actual town. If you looked at those pics and saw the pic of East Tawakoni......... that is bigger than Poetry.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Oh, it sounds perfect for a weekend retreat....just not full-time modern living!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
My mother runs her own medical billing business from her house in Poetry, and she uses a radio tower internet service called Mypbmail.com. It is VERY fast! She did have to put up a 20-foot antenna on her roof to get the service. I can't tell you specifically how fast the service is, but it sure beats dial-up!

Poetry is only a 15-minute drive to Rockwall.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,286 times
Oh, you guys are so funny! Yeah...Im not sure I can live on "land" 100% of the time. We have friends here in CA that purchased land when they were broke and first married and sat on it until they could build their 13,000 sq. ft. cottage (being sarcastic) and 6,000 sq. ft. out building (gym, guest quarters, etc.) later in their careers. It was a good move for them to do that, because where they bought that land was cheap (in comparison to buying a house right off the bat). Maybe I can suggest that to DH (although I will never, even if I could afford to, build a 19,000 sq. ft. house!) I think he has this romantic idea about having "land". And its really cute how he talks about it, too. I'll let 'em look...but yeah, it probably wouldn't work.

And, as a side note- when I see what you all know about me in a list...its a little pathetic. Combined with my screen name, its even worse. Thanks for being nice to me! haha! But, you can't share too much on a public forum, I suppose. =) I also need access to the city for Junior League activities, too. (I'll share a little and try to redeem myself). So....living further out probably isn't ideal.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Dallas has a wonderful Junior League- one of the biggest in the country! And it is not at all my mom's JLD anymore (you know, gossipy women throwing tea parties). My provisional class was about 500 strong, mostly professional women though a good big of SAH's too, every race/background/ socioeconomic status you can imagine. I have met so many intelligent, passionate, fun women!

JLD also sponsors a Transfer Club for those coming in from different leagues to meet people and get plugged in. My friend chaired it a few years back and loved that placement.

The JLD HQ is off the Tollroad & Northwest Highway in central Dallas (look west and south to the intersection of Lovers & Inwood). Most of our 30 agencies are within a 5-mile radius of downtown Dallas, with the majority being to the east/south/west or actually in downtown itself.

There are so many needy families, students, and elderly in Dallas that it is a wonderful chance to ge out of our "luxury" careers & lives & cares and help someon else a few hours each week.

Plano also has it's own smaller Junior League. Believe Southlake-Lewisville area (northwest burbs) does, too, and I bet some of the other burbs have small leagues as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Quote:
And you would also need to know if the land is zoned for commercial and residential. If it's not zoned commercial, no horse stall rental business.
Not true. 99% of the farms/stables I had my horses at in the Dallas area (expensive, national-level show barns at that) were not zoned for commercial use. I believe it has to do with an agricultural provision that allows it. Anyway, it's not like the OP would be running a massive boarding operation.

To the OP: do you know anything about boarding horses? If not, please don't even consider it. Even if you simply rent out the stalls and let boarders feed and practice general care, you still need to know what to do in case of an emergency. Do you know what colic is? Do you know what to do if it happens? Probably not, unless you have horse experience—which isn't as simple as reading a book.

You're also going to need liability releases, insurance, and boarding contracts. Too much headache for very little return. (And also, as a horse owner, I would never, ever board my horse on a property where the owner knew nothing about horses.)

Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
Oh, you guys are so funny! Yeah...Im not sure I can live on "land" 100% of the time. We have friends here in CA that purchased land when they were broke and first married and sat on it until they could build their 13,000 sq. ft. cottage (being sarcastic) and 6,000 sq. ft. out building (gym, guest quarters, etc.) later in their careers. It was a good move for them to do that, because where they bought that land was cheap (in comparison to buying a house right off the bat). Maybe I can suggest that to DH (although I will never, even if I could afford to, build a 19,000 sq. ft. house!) I think he has this romantic idea about having "land". And its really cute how he talks about it, too. I'll let 'em look...but yeah, it probably wouldn't work.

And, as a side note- when I see what you all know about me in a list...its a little pathetic. Combined with my screen name, its even worse. Thanks for being nice to me! haha! But, you can't share too much on a public forum, I suppose. =) I also need access to the city for Junior League activities, too. (I'll share a little and try to redeem myself). So....living further out probably isn't ideal.

LOL!!! Is he wanting to buy a pair of cowboy boots and a hat the second he gets off the plane as well? LOL!!! You need to get your hands on these magazines: Texas Monthly and D Magazine (there is also one for the Dallas/Ft Worth area called LUXE for interior design and architecture). In the current issue of Texas Monthly there is a good little story on our own famed chef Dean Ferring and his boot collection and he makes boots as well. Anyway, those 3 mags would give you a good idea of some of the stores and designers in this area.

As TC below is mentioning, the Dallas Junior League is a wonderful organization. I've known many members over the years. Garland had a JL for many many years but disbanded it a few years ago .

No, living THAT FAR OUT would NOT be a wise move for you when it comes to your business. We will all just make sure to invite ya'll to the ranch whenever any of are going

Quote:
Dallas has a wonderful Junior League- one of the biggest in the country! And it is not at all my mom's JLD anymore (you know, gossipy women throwing tea parties). My provisional class was about 500 strong, mostly professional women though a good big of SAH's too, every race/background/ socioeconomic status you can imagine. I have met so many intelligent, passionate, fun women!
THIS! The Dallas Junior League is a very strong organization.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
You're also going to need liability releases, insurance, and boarding contracts. Too much headache for very little return. (And also, as a horse owner, I would never, ever board my horse on a property where the owner knew nothing about horses.)
Totally agree. Just wait until you have someone not pay their board and you're stuck with a horse...the horse has to eat and you will be paying to feed it until you can file a mechanic's lein (after 6 months of unpaid board) and are finally able to sell it...IF you can find a buyer in this horrible horse market... When my Dad held the lease on our boarding stable (back in the 1980s) he had *2* boarders disappear and leave their horses...

Also, as Lora says, you at least need to be able to recognize the signs of colic, etc. so you can call the owners. Even though horses are big, strong animals, they can be delicate and a minor problem can become a major emergency quickly.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 PM

300 posts, read 1,258,286 times
Oh, SO good to know about the JL! Thanks for the info!

Momof2DFW...I doubt he will ever get boots. I, on the other hand, already want some. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas