Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,562,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'll be sure and tell my giant blue recycling receptacle that it does not really exist.
Haha, my husband is convinced they just throw it in the same truck as the trash. Mostly because he finds it annoying to separate it. Lame.

Quote:
I can't believe that someone with Sooner in their screen name is unfamiliar with the Cotton Bowl no matter what your age.
Oh, I've been to all of those places. I just don't think yearly visits to these places are enough to convince people that they need to LIVE within 15 minutes of them. We live 2 miles north of downtown right now and plan to move to Valley Ranch in a year. I highly doubt we'll be frequenting many of our current haunts at that point--and to be honest, going downtown is still rare for us. People do most of their daily activities, shopping, and eating (outside of work) within their suburban bubble and make special trips. I bet even most Richardson dwellers don't make it downtown more than once a week outside of employement, if that.

I should have noted that yes, while 100K/acre isn't a huge deal, this is for completely undeveloped or barely developed land that isn't being sold in less than 2-3 acre parcels, meaning you are going to drop at least $100k for any acreage minimum. The price for the smaller lots in the few exclusive neighborhoods squeezed into the little extra pieces of land left go for much more.

We'll see what happens to Flower Mound, though the situation you described seems more likely in Coppell than anywhere else. Grapevine seems dead in the water. I honestly think Southlake, Flower Mound, and Coppell have given more thought to long term plans than most of the northern suburbs.

Another interesting geographical feature of Flower Mound is the fact you have to drive 10-15 minutes in any direction to reach a highway. It's talked about often on these boards...the commute can really suck depending on how far you are going. Very few people live there FOR the commute-they live there because they like the schools and feel of the community. I don't know if there is any suburb in Dallas that has quite the "remoteness" as far as highways go. And if you look at a map, it is very unlikely there is going to be a highway in the next 30 years cutting directly through the city and across Lake Grapevine. Sure...there is the DFW "Airport Connector." Locals got all upset over that until they realized all it meant was widening 2499 (which needed to be done anyway). All the major work is going on in Grapevine. Access to public transportation and highways is a big deal for "illegals" etc. who have one or no cars. Flower Mound isn't going to be an obvious choice.

If any of what you predict happens, though--it will be in the area east of 2499.

Last edited by mSooner; 07-03-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM

13 posts, read 38,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Huh? Dallas has a great recycling program that is free and really easy. They pick up recycling once a week and sort everything for you. It would be crazy not to use it!
Yes, but it's not MANDATORY. I know more "god ole boys" who refuse to believe that there is a problem and throw cans, diapers, plastic bottles, etc, in the trash daily.
It is also more cultural here (although, I admit, a gross generalization) to drvie larger cars and/or trucks rather than altenatives.
Combine those with the horrendous weather conditions of drought and severe heat and we may start having some real problems.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 38,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'll be sure and tell my giant blue recycling receptacle that it does not really exist.

My original quote was based on comparisons of other cities in which I have lived or visited. Right now I am living in Portland OR. Recycling is mandatory. The "regular garbage" cans are half the size of the recycling cans. Every single trash in the entire metro area has a recycling can next to it. Moreover, the people here believe in it's necessity (how could one refute the science, IMHO), and therefore, one gets the feeling that one might be tarred and feathered if anyone saw them accidentally put a can in the "regular trash". Its the same in Denver and LA to name a couple

Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
Funny I never hear of anyone in Dallas planning a weekend in Frisco or Southlake or Flower Mound.
You've got that right.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM

124 posts, read 259,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett21 View Post
My original quote was based on comparisons of other cities in which I have lived or visited. Right now I am living in Portland OR. Recycling is mandatory. The "regular garbage" cans are half the size of the recycling cans. Every single trash in the entire metro area has a recycling can next to it. Moreover, the people here believe in it's necessity (how could one refute the science, IMHO), and therefore, one gets the feeling that one might be tarred and feathered if anyone saw them accidentally put a can in the "regular trash". Its the same in Denver and LA to name a couple

All I know is that in the communities I've lived in in North Texas in the last decade (Denton, Garland) the recycling cans are out there along with the trash cans. My current neighborhood in Denton is much like what you say y'all have in Portland; Recycling bins are bigger than the trash bins. Unlike Portland we are allowed to pump our own gas and our state never tried to forbid all black people from entering not that we weren't a-holes to blacks in other ways, but honestly to not even want them around?

Oregon Constitutional Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
I thought it would be interesting to imagine DFW in 30 years...
Where do you think the hot suburbs will be?
What will the city center be like?
Where are the top neighborhoods/schools?
What do you think population growth will be like?
anything you want to discuss.

A lot has changed in 30 years since the first building boom hit in the 80s, so thats what i'm wondering.

I can't wait either...Looking forward to the Trinity River Project

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,537,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Oh, I've been to all of those places. I just don't think yearly visits to these places are enough to convince people that they need to LIVE within 15 minutes of them. We live 2 miles north of downtown right now and plan to move to Valley Ranch in a year. I highly doubt we'll be frequenting many of our current haunts at that point--and to be honest, going downtown is still rare for us. People do most of their daily activities, shopping, and eating (outside of work) within their suburban bubble and make special trips. I bet even most Richardson dwellers don't make it downtown more than once a week outside of employement, if that.

Yep. Unless you live out in some rural, unincorporated, undeveloped area, chances are you will have everything you need in your day-to-day life within a few miles of you no matter where you live. What keeps Dallas sprawling is the major employment centers moving outward. With no natural barriers, the only way Dallas will slow sprawl away from the city is to wrangle those jobs back in.

In 30 years, I think northern growth will finally start to stall, but I predict that at some point a lot of the growth will start shooting out east. Rockwall and Kaufman will be the new Collin Counties as they start to build out. Fort Worth sprawl will start to compete with Dallas's going north and make its way to Denton. However, I think Fort Worth's suburbs will continue to be less chaotic, at lower densities, and be more individualistic as its growth comes slower. South Dallas will never grow as quickly simply because of its reputation -- undeserved or not.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM

446 posts, read 649,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
In 30 years, I think northern growth will finally start to stall, but I predict that at some point a lot of the growth will start shooting out east. Rockwall and Kaufman will be the new Collin Counties as they start to build out...
I think energy and resource crises--most notably my prediction that gas will top $7 a gallon by 2020, will put the kibosh on that real quick. I see the hub cities become denser and transit being massively expanded.

Also, one thing I didn't mention in my other post (probably because it just came to mind) is that we'll start seeing a LOT more bicycles "alternative" vehicles on the roads, because even in the inner cores driving will be ma$$ively expen$ive. Mopeds, <=250cc motorcycles, motorized bicycles, and my personal favorite (and one of which I am currently building)--motortrikes (http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f44/6996d1238540625-hot-rod-motorized-tricycle-getattachment-1.aspx.jpg - broken link)--will become a very common sight on Metroplex roads.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,537,208 times
No doubt Dallas and FT. Worth will get denser, but I don't think sprawl will go away. It's not in the culture of Texans to want to live on top of each other, and most won't.

The number one reason sprawl will continue is that people don't have a reason to live in central Dallas or Fort Worth like they do in other cities. Major employers are spread out all over the area. Your job could just as easily be in Plano, Irving, Grapevine, Alliance, or somewhere else as it could be in Dallas or Fort Worth. Even if gas is $7 like you said, if your job is already 20-plus miles north of downtown Dallas, your job is 20-plus miles north of downtown Dallas. No reason to live in the central city.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM

124 posts, read 259,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
No doubt Dallas and FT. Worth will get denser, but I don't think sprawl will go away. It's not in the culture of Texans to want to live on top of each other, and most won't.

The number one reason sprawl will continue is that people don't have a reason to live in central Dallas or Fort Worth like they do in other cities. Major employers are spread out all over the area. Your job could just as easily be in Plano, Irving, Grapevine, Alliance, or somewhere else as it could be in Dallas or Fort Worth. Even if gas is $7 like you said, if your job is already 20-plus miles north of downtown Dallas, your job is 20-plus miles north of downtown Dallas. No reason to live in the central city.

Indeed. I work IT and once I had a job at Stemmons and Empire Central and that's the closest I've been to downtown. My other IT jobs have been in Richardson, Plano and currently in Westlake. I do love Dallas and Fort Worth, but schools and work keep me on the outskirts and for now that's just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas