Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 PM

116 posts, read 448,463 times

Advertisements

Did anyone ever go downtown to the Sportatorium for Wrestling? I had 2 older brothers who loved 10:00 wrestling & once as a treat my father took the whole family to see Fritz Von Eric & the Claw!!
***Also the old Gemini drive in theatre off Central Expin the mid- 70's was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,836,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnSlaney View Post
Did anyone ever go downtown to the Sportatorium for Wrestling? I had 2 older brothers who loved 10:00 wrestling & once as a treat my father took the whole family to see Fritz Von Eric & the Claw!!
***Also the old Gemini drive in theatre off Central Expin the mid- 70's was fun.
I remember both. I only drove by the Sportatorium. I would try to watch the movies at the Gemini as I drove by. The last time I was there we had a group of friends that brought coolers and lawn chairs, similar to a tail-gate party, to watch St. Elmo's Fire and the Big Chill. Hmm, must have been a theme night. A group of friends watching a couple of movies about other groups of friends.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-20-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 PM

23 posts, read 82,369 times
My parents met at Seven Points near Pleasant Grove. Does that trigger any memories for y'all?

I remember the restaurant shaped like a ship.
I remember a slide at the State Fair where you slid down on burlap sacks.

I remember going for frosty mug rootbeers as a family event.

I remember collecting Coke bottles and saving them so we can get the deposit back.

I remember Big Town Mall. I remember Town East before they remodeled. There was a huge empty space in the middle where Santa Claus was.

I remember my mom paying good money for us to use this water slide that composed of 3 or 4 slides. Then Whitewater openned in Garland before it became Wet N Wild.

I remember growing up in Pleasant Grove (I was born in '73) and the kids would play in the street with our bikes while some of the adults would sit in their chairs and supervise us. This was every day. We would also walk in the woods with no adult supervision and play all sorts of war games.

I remember wanting to move to Garland and Grand Prarie because that is where the rich people lived.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:49 AM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
I remember collecting S&H greenstamps and trading the books in for cash. Me and my brother would jump on your bikes and travel 5 miles to the nearest store. We never thought to use a sponge when putting them in the book. Licking them seemed liked the only option we had.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,246,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post
My parents met at Seven Points near Pleasant Grove. Does that trigger any memories for y'all?

I remember the restaurant shaped like a ship.
I remember a slide at the State Fair where you slid down on burlap sacks.

I remember going for frosty mug rootbeers as a family event.

I remember collecting Coke bottles and saving them so we can get the deposit back.

I remember Big Town Mall. I remember Town East before they remodeled. There was a huge empty space in the middle where Santa Claus was.

I remember my mom paying good money for us to use this water slide that composed of 3 or 4 slides. Then Whitewater openned in Garland before it became Wet N Wild.

I remember growing up in Pleasant Grove (I was born in '73) and the kids would play in the street with our bikes while some of the adults would sit in their chairs and supervise us. This was every day. We would also walk in the woods with no adult supervision and play all sorts of war games.

I remember wanting to move to Garland and Grand Prarie because that is where the rich people lived.
My parents moved from Pleasant Grove to Rowlett in the mid 80's. People really did watch out for each other in the grove back then. I remember trying to climb my parents chain link fence and getting stuck at the top. There was an older man a few house up the street who seen what happened and he came and over and got me.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,197,397 times
The ship restaurant, was it the Spanish Galleon at Medallion (Abrams and NW Highway)?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM

164 posts, read 590,845 times
I'm pretty sure there was one on S. Buckner, don't remember the name though.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The ship restaurant, was it the Spanish Galleon at Medallion (Abrams and NW Highway)?
I remember the Spanish Galleon. IIRC, it was located on the north side of NW Highway at ShadyBrook where Half Price Books used to be, before it (Half-Priced Books) took over the old Sterlings building?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,197,397 times
Are you thinking of the second Steak and Ale? Spanish Galleon was definitely at Abrams and NW Hwy.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Are you thinking of the second Steak and Ale? Spanish Galleon was definitely at Abrams and NW Hwy.

I do remember the fish place that is there now, at the north east corner of medallion center, "The Fish Bone" and "Crackers" before that, did have a bow of a boat as part of the roof. That is where I believe spanish galleon moved after leaving the original location where HPB took over. THere was a big ship formerly at that location as well. Is this ringing any bells? The old spanish galleon became a night club of some sorts for a while.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-23-2008 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas