Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netpack73 View Post
What is "the OP"?
Original Poster (You, in this case )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
I wanted to add, the supermarket experience I can tell you, if they didn't mind that, trust me they won't mind how you wear your hair. Personally too, I like dreds.
Wanted to relate this to you too. I moved here in 1990 and I have yet to meet a prejudice person and I see interracial couples and their children thrive beautifully. That is one of the many reasons why I love the Metroplex. Welcome... if you have any more questions concerning Mckinney, let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 PM

100 posts, read 455,486 times
You will be fine in Mckinney. Plano and Richardson are the most diverse. Frisco is probably more diverse than Mckinney. With that being stated you will be fine no matter where you choose.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 AM

150 posts, read 857,911 times
Default Unusual Hair Styles

I've lived in McKinney for 23 yrs so I've seen the evolution of a sleepy country town to a vibrant suburb. Personally, I do not judge people by their looks and really don't understand anyone who does. Yes, there are still many "older" McKinnian's who might give you a second look, but I don't think your hair style will be an issue. If you eat breakfast at Bill's Cafe you'll probably get many looks but no one is going to ask you to leave. This city has become a small melting pot for all types of individuals from all over the country/world. Granted, it's still unusual to see a woman dressed in hijab or a sari but I think most people just walk on by. Perhaps the fact that the majority of our residents are well educated allows our residents to see beyond color, hair styles or culture. As a young, professional, well educated man I would think you will be accepted for who you are.

I don't think you can take the shooting of a woman in her home by a police officer as the norm for attitudes toward African Americans. I don't believe the city's police department instructs it's officers to shoot people just because of color. There is more to that story than what was printed in the papers. If you've seen the city's demographics you should know that the African American population has dropped dramatically over the past few years. However, that should not be a reason to be concerned about how you will be accepted.

I know of one company here in town that allowed a male employee to dress in female clothes, complete with high heels. Maybe that will give you an idea of how accepting some people/places here in McKinney can be.

Last edited by mckinneydeb; 08-16-2007 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 AM

43 posts, read 228,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneydeb View Post

I know of one company here in town that allowed a male employee to dress in female clothes, complete with high heels. Maybe that will give you an idea of how accepting some people/places here in McKinney can be.
WTF? That's not accepting, that's just plain messed up!!
How did our country get so messed up? Never mind, that is a new thread..

Sorry didn't mean to thread jack...B.O.T.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandylovesFrisco View Post

So? It's a fact of life that there are transgendered people. Not messed up at all. Just reality. (S)he isn't hurting anyone so what's the problem? Deal with it.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas76 View Post
You will be fine in Mckinney. Plano and Richardson are the most diverse. Frisco is probably more diverse than Mckinney. With that being stated you will be fine no matter where you choose.
Mckinney has alot more Blacks than Frisco. Then where there are a majority white, they are mostly transplants from very liberal areas of the US.

Not sure where you got this info that Frisco is more diverse than Mckinney.

Frisco is definitely the whitest area in the metroplex. No asians, no blacks, no hispanic.

I'm white and I thought it was spooky just how white Frisco seems to be.

Forget the shopping areas as those attract people from all over. Drive through the commuities. I'd guess there is a larger and/or equal percentage of blacks in Mckinney as compared to Plano as well. Richardson is definitely mixed, as is Garland and Dallas.

I'd ignore stats and drive around and see where you feel most comfortable. Compared to places like CA, there are alot of blacks in the metroplex in general, so I doubt you'll feel out of place anywhere. The whole area to the north is a giant melting pot made up of people from all over the us.

But I agree with the others, dreads in general draw negative attention, regardless of your race. Tattoos are the same way, they just attract stereotypes.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 18,553 times
Hey,
I am from the Caribbean and so is my husband. He has dread locks and we have been living in Richardson for 3 years now. He works in Allen and an all white engineering company hired him just as he is. He loves his job and his co workers; admitedley he does get many stares from other "white people" that work in the building his company shares but he does not let it get to him. Ironically we are building in Mckinney and getting ready to move there in December.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:57 PM

123 posts, read 534,255 times
Hi netpack73,
I am a married, white male, professional that lives in Mckinney. There are 4 black (not sure if they are African-American or not, but that's a whole different conversation) families that live on my street. They are all awesome people. Allow me to step back and elaborate on the black/african-american thing for a minute. My friend and I have had this conversation many times, and we have both come to the conclusion that he is a black american seeing as how he was born here and all. My dad's from italy, but I was born in American - hence I'm american. Okay enough about that. The stats on this site are inaccurate, there are many blacks living in Mckinney. Mckinney is a great place to raise a family. The schools in Collin county are ranked number 2 in the nation. It's close to Dallas, but not too close. The crime here is low. Not much nite life in Mckinney, but that's what Dallas is for. I personally know many, many blacks in Mckinney and have never heard any of them say anything negative about living here. People are odd everywhere and will always have something to say about anything, including dreadlocks. However, I would think it would be very unlikely for anyone to think dreadlocks as odd. Just the other day I saw some high school kid with blue hair. Whatever floats your boat. Good luck with your move.....

Old 08-18-2007, 06:42 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandylovesFrisco View Post

They must be trying to become the next Bay Area :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: