Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,340 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance for yet another "where should I live?" thread, but we're really trying to get as much info as possible. My job is moving us from NY/CT area to Plano. Looking for input on where people live who work in Plano - in terms of schools, commute, family friendliness. I've heard all kinds of things from McKinney being on Money's best places list to Exide lead problems in Frisco. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
There are more than enough threads on this forum about Plano & other Collin County options (McKinney, Allen, Frisco, etc). YOu should start by making use of the "search" function and then you'll be able to come back with specific questions about your situation. The general questions (schools, population demographics & culture, shopping, activities, commute times, etc) can all be answered by reading existing threads.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Sandwich View Post
I apologize in advance for yet another "where should I live?" thread, but we're really trying to get as much info as possible. My job is moving us from NY/CT area to Plano. Looking for input on where people live who work in Plano - in terms of schools, commute, family friendliness. I've heard all kinds of things from McKinney being on Money's best places list to Exide lead problems in Frisco. Help!
Really depends on where in Plano you're working. In the big picture cities like McKinney/Allen area are just 20-25 minutes on surface streets (30-35 minutes in morning/afternoon traffic) from US-75 (Central Expressway) to W. Plano & the Dallas North Tollway(DNT) and cities like Frisco & Lewisville at a little further distance. So you really have a lot of options. I know it's not what you want to hear, but think big picture, you're not limited to a small location that you may/may not be priced out of and/or like the location(s).

McKinney is a great city, growing, young and family oriented. Frisco is as well, but is a little more sprawl as it's busting at the seams (over 75,000 people from '00-'10). The Exide problems are a concern, but even after extensive testing I don't know if there's been anything really proven that's a problem. But again, it would be a concern if you have children. Allen and of course Plano are great. Plano, both W and E Plano are a little older and more concrete jungle, but the flip side is that there are ton's of amenities/shops/shopping/ancillary support infrastructure.

If you can give a better idea of where your job is going to be, W or E Plano and what kind of price point you're looking for, it will narrow down the scope.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,340 times
Thanks - the job will be in West Plano, and we're looking 300-400. We've been talking to people and reading threads but as far as I'm concerned, the more info the better.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
West Plano + $300-400K? Your best bet is Deerfield. Here's the HOA site.

Deerfield Homeowners Association - Welcome To Deerfield!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
If you're going to be working W. Plano, the farthest I would venture out would be McKinney/Allen to the NE good schools, great areas and are VERY family oriented/friendly. Frisco to the North, lot's of shopping/eateries etc., sports wise very diverse. The local minor league & MLS teams play their games in Frisco, and for kids there's enough teams to more than go around. To the NW there is The Colony, not very familiar w/ The Colony, other than it's a "older" version of Frisco. Coppell to the SW is a great area. Great schools, great neighborhoods, highly rated, about the same distance as McKinney to W. Plano...high traffic though.

Obviously W. Plano would be ideal, but at your price point, the options that are available will go fast. They're there and it's totally possible, but the great deals always go fast as is the case in any area. If you go to realtor.com and put in Plano, Tx most people would consider W. Plano to go from Custer Rd. as it's E boundary Plano Pkwy as the W boundary. 121 (Sam Rayburn Tollway) to the North and the George Bush Tollway to the South for reference. Also it would be optimal so as to keep down the commute time, but if you're willing to have a commute time in the 30-40 minute range your options open up greatly. E. Plano as I said has some great deals, McKinney, Frisco & Allen are great as well.

You'll be amazed at what your price point gets you here, obviously in the other cities like McKinney and Allen will be "more" house than W. Plano, but again it's a trade off on commute vs. location. In reality they're all not more than 30 minutes from your work (assuming you go as far as E of US 75). PISD has great scores and W. Plano high school is great as well. In general, you can't go wrong as they're all family friendly (I know everyone says that but it's amazing at what there is in these areas), good schools and active. Obviously different neighborhoods vary, but in general N. Texas is a good place to be.

More detailed things that you're looking for will yield a more exact locations. Good luck and feel free to ask, I know a lot of people here like discussing and talking up their neighborhoods/cities!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
The Exide plant is spotless and so is the area around it. The USA leads the world in clean metal recycling and the Exide plant recycles a significant percentage of US lead, mostly batteries. This plant has hundreds of workers and brings in billions of dollars in exports. There are similar plants in mixed use areas like LA and Indianapolis which are completely shut in with development, yet they continue to operate.

The real story is that it sits on thousands of acres of land worth billions of dollars that Frisco wants to develop. Politically, it is surrounded by growth in all directions and it also stands in the way of major business growth to the Tollway/380 area - most of which is owned by old Dallas money.

Compared to the tax revenue a new development will bring in vs what the plant pays, and the other forces at work, the current posturing is part of the process of coming to grips with what will be done with the plant. Will it stay or be moved?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Thanks - the job will be in West Plano, and we're looking 300-400. We've been talking to people and reading threads but as far as I'm concerned, the more info the better.
A little further West and there is Castle Hills area in Lewisville.

Welcome to Castle Hills | Premier North Dallas Residential Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas