Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing "DC if you're single". One of my best friends lives in DC. I love DC, it is certainly faster paced and has more of a cosmopolitan vibe going, but I have always had a lot more fun being single and going out in Dallas. I think the crowd is also more attractive in Dallas and has a better fashion sense as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I keep seeing "DC if you're single". One of my best friends lives in DC. I love DC, it is certainly faster paced and has more of a cosmopolitan vibe going, but I have always had a lot more fun being single and going out in Dallas. I think the crowd is also more attractive in Dallas and has a better fashion sense as well.
The D.C. social scene is 'resume first, questions later'. D.C. is more about why are you there? Who do you work for? Where'd you go to school? Conversation is much quicker paced, wittier, jokes assume you're up on current events and can reference any city from Boston to D.C. People also marry in their mid-30's so you need to be more of a 'known quantity' at that point and somewhere in your career. Whereas in Dallas, it's a bit of a gamble getting married in your 20's before a career is established. Not wrong, just different.

Fashion is regional, D.C. is more buttoned down and conservative than Dallas.

But in D.C. social networking is the coin of the realm. Showing up in D.C. with a Rolex and a Mercedes will get you laughed at. In Dallas, it'll get you into candleroom...

Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
The District is not a state. In actuality, the District was never meant to be residential. In the fine print on homes sold in D.C., you never technically own the land.

You can own and buy guns in MD and VA.

Essentially the District's gun policy is akin to entering a Federal Building- they're not allowed.
That's funny, read the fine print on any home deed and it states the same thing...it's only yours if you pay Uncle Sam every year.

Anyhow, however it maybe, the crime rate is generally high in the District and you can't defend your self. As for MD gun laws, we're talking inside the District but MD isn't all that gun friendly.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:31 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
It's simple for me, I can't really buy or own a firearm in the District (even after DC vs Heller/McDonald vs Chicago) but I can legally buy a Machine Gun in Texas. My rights are far more important to me than diversity and museums.

Well, and here I thought I had read every stupid thing possible on this board, and someone comes and completely blows everything else away.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Dallas.

Moderator cut: Off Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Dallas.

DC is the pinnacle of east coast society. It's a town you either get or don't. It is not for everyone. But like the 6th District in Paris, it's perfection.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: updated quoted post

Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 PM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
It's the heart and soul area of American Civil War..Google Mason Dixon Line and it will all make sense for you. Basically the dividing line between the North and South.

Meaningless these days, not sure why people still get fired up over it..But it does provide a context as how the country was formed and why there are leftover feelings
I thought it might have had something to do with the Civil war, but wasn't sure. But from what I do know of the Civil War, (without spending a lot of time googling...) I know that DC allowed slaves, just as Virginia and Maryland did. In the Civil war, Maryland remained part of the Union, so you can understand a foreigner being confused - all 3 regions allowed slaves and only Virginia was part of the south, so why would someone hold it against Virginia and Maryland, but being in DC proper is okay...

Old 10-23-2011, 03:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
DC is the pinnacle of east coast society. It's a town you either get or don't. It is not for everyone. But like the 6th District in Paris, it's perfection.
I've spent multiple summers, Christmas, spring breaks and more there. That place is nowhere near perfection.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
DC for sure

Old 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM

275 posts, read 416,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Dallas.

I prefer Dallas to DC, having lived in both. Moderator cut: Orphaned & Off Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: updated quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas