Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 PM

96 posts, read 201,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Kids care more about how big their TV in their bedroom is than their house.
dewd/ette, i wish that were true. my son has shown a clear and distinct preference for $5MM homes and jaguar (don't ask me how on the latter) since the age of 3. he's my pressure to "keep up with the joneses," not the jonses themselves, not that we own a $5MM home or a jaguar.

the nice snooty kid said he was ok with keynesian economies but was down on wealth transfer in the form of subsidized schooling for the lesser UP kids at his intermediate school. j/k!

Last edited by akpack; 12-06-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
You do realize all of the "Highland Park" named schools are actually in university park, right?
HPMS is in HP, HPHS is in UP.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post
Sorry guys about all of my questions! If you get tired of them, just start ignoring them!

I have seen a few posts about buying in the "golden corridor" if buying in UP or HP. How important is that, really?

Also, it seems that most posts say there is really no difference in HP vs UP. Others say that UP is better for families. Still others say that HP is better for "older" parents (I will be 35 when my oldest enters K.)

What are the opinions on these things?
The park cities are really not that much different from each other, other than in name. Highland Park is a tree-lined affluent Dallas neighborhood just north of downtown and so is University Park. They both are very nice and if you are big on shopping, really close to both the galleria, Northpark Mall, and other High-end shopping areas along the 75 corridor in nearby Uptown.

Regardless of which one you choose to live in, as long as you can afford it, you will be just fine. Also, if you like to workout every now and then outdoors, there is the Katy trail and nearby White Rock Lake park.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpack View Post
that kid was very nice but totally SNOOTY. he KNOWS where the neighborhood boundaries are.
So you ran across ONE kid who was snooty? It seems like a stretch to get to "all" HP residents from that one kid. Unless you live right there, most adult Dallas residents don't even know where HP ends and UP begins.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
and also, don't you think some of these observant materialistic kids might see that HP kids seem to afford more LV and tory burch than the kids from the $600K homes in UP do?

they either know status or they don't.
If you think all the UP kids are living in $600k homes, you're clueless about HPISD real estate. The MOST expensive homes in HPISD are in UP's Volk Estates- the southeast corner of lovers & Preston. There's a $16M home for sale there right now and several other $20+ homes have closed in the past 5ish years.

Most of the UP homes are $1M+ and most of the newer ones are in the $2-3M range. I think those families can afford an iPod or $200 pair of Tory B flats if they want to buy their kids that stuff.

You're trying to paint UP as a "riff raff" "across the tracks" from HP kind of place and it's just not true.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
HPMS is in HP, HPHS is in UP.
Wrong again, our fair poster from Houston.

The MIS/HPMS buildings are in UP; the playing fields (below dark bolder line in below city limits map) fall into HP.

http://www.uptexas.org/images/uploads/upmap.pdf

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
dewd/ette, i wish that were true. my son has shown a clear and distinct preference for $5MM homes and jaguar (don't ask me how on the latter) since the age of 3. he's my pressure to "keep up with the joneses," not the jonses themselves, not that we own a $5MM home or a jaguar.

the nice snooty kid said he was ok with keynesian economies but was down on wealth transfer in the form of subsidized schooling for the lesser UP kids at his intermediate school. j/k!
I can't argue that fact that yes, my daughter loves the look of an Aston Martin Rapide which she calls 'nice', but it has little to do with the cost of the car and more the looks.

You may have come across the 1 kid that is a bit snooty. It can happen.

Both UP and HP are nice. You can spend $15 million plus for a house in either. Last check on Parkieville, the average home was being sold for >1million dollars in both HP and UP.

Most people tend to buy the house they want in either UP/HP based on the home not specifically whether it's HP or not. Although you will come across a few teardowns in HP going for 1 million dollars only because they're in HP off Dartmouth or Potomac. And it's only worth that if someone will pay it.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM

59 posts, read 170,676 times
Goodness! Did not mean to stir up a conversation about possible snobs. Just wondering where best an early-thirties mom with young children would fit.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Goodness! Did not mean to stir up a conversation about possible snobs. Just wondering where best an early-thirties mom with young children would fit.
We are pretty passionate on this board!!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM

96 posts, read 201,975 times
Quote:
UP might be a better fit. the parents in HP tend to be a bit older and maybe more established in the neighborhood so might be less apt to make an effort to meet new people if you're into meeting new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas