Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM

47 posts, read 203,511 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We're here visiting for the holidays. We were on the North Dallas Tollway yesterday. The sign said "We'll bill you." I don't feel too good about this after reading some of the threads here about late fees and going to collections.

Should we try to take care of it before we leave? How should we handle it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,525 times
You can call them and they can run your plate.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstsh2004 View Post
Hello,
We're here visiting for the holidays. We were on the North Dallas Tollway yesterday. The sign said "We'll bill you." I don't feel too good about this after reading some of the threads here about late fees and going to collections.

Should we try to take care of it before we leave? How should we handle it?

Thanks!
Don't try to take care of it before you leave. I heard that they don't have the ability to bill out of state plates, heard it's the "dirty secret" about the toll systems here. In fact, for the few months I was here with my California plates, I never got a bill for the tolls I used. Only when I switched to TX plates did I ever get a bill.

I've checked my credit reports every year and nothing about the tolls when I had my CA plates.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,544 times
I'm curious about this as well.

I grew up in Plano but now live in OKC. I'm usually in town once a month to see my parents, and come in on the Tollway to 121. This past July I got a new car with OK tags. Before that I had TX tags but my car was on my parents account. They were nice enough to cover it then, but now I'm freaked out that I'm racking up some huge bill.

I've thought about taking care of it myself, but I've heard conflicting reports on just how much authority NTTA has on out-of-state drivers. Should I bother getting a tolltag since I'm driving on toll roads at least once a month?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,525 times
You could call them and anonymously ask if they have the ability to charge against out-of-state plates.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM

350 posts, read 867,994 times
Don't worry about it. The stories you read previously about the tolls were before they switched to ZipCash/Pay by mail.

They don't bill for extremely occasional users, anyway. It would cost them more to collect the toll than the toll itself.

#1sooner, I assume your car is registered to your address? And you haven't received a bill? Legally, someone can't say they're going to bill you, never send you a bill, then charge you penalties. The worst thing that could happen is you have to pay the tolls.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
NTTA told me they don't bill until you reach 5.00. So you may never see a bill just passing through town. As for late fees, I just got a bill for 34.00 and a warning to pay it by Jan 14th or it goes to 124.00!! That is a 90.00 late charge fee folks...how insane in that? And I've it only gets worse

Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Don't worry about it. The stories you read previously about the tolls were before they switched to ZipCash/Pay by mail.

They don't bill for extremely occasional users, anyway. It would cost them more to collect the toll than the toll itself.

#1sooner, I assume your car is registered to your address? And you haven't received a bill? Legally, someone can't say they're going to bill you, never send you a bill, then charge you penalties. The worst thing that could happen is you have to pay the tolls.
My car is currently registered to my address in OKC. I was looking on their website and they claim they have a third party company that pursues out of state violators. I have taken 7 trips to DFW since I've had my car and have not received a bill.

I obviously don't drive on them everyday but when I am here I use them pretty frequently. Getting from 380 and DNT to 121 and Independence where I get off is about $3.29 according to their price chart. So multiply that by 14 plus other times and you would have thought I would get a bill by now

Ironically I have seen a handful cars in OKC with tolltags in the windshield even though they have OK plates. Wonder if the NTTA hunted those folks down?

Last edited by #1soonerfan; 12-26-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,461,903 times
I used to have Oklahoma plates and a tolltag (well, TxTag not NTTA) before. Nobody hunted me down, but it's better for me not to worry about things like fines, penalties, whatever ... My piece of mind and lack of stress is worth more than a few dollars.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
My car is currently registered to my address in OKC. I was looking on their website and they claim they have a third party company that pursues out of state violators. I have taken 7 trips to DFW since I've had my car and have not received a bill.

I obviously don't drive on them everyday but when I am here I use them pretty frequently. Getting from 380 and DNT to 121 and Independence where I get off is about $3.29 according to their price chart. So multiply that by 14 plus other times and you would have thought I would get a bill by now

Ironically I have seen a handful cars in OKC with tolltags in the windshield even though they have OK plates. Wonder if the NTTA hunted those folks down?
There is a thread here some place where a lady ended up owing 10k due to her ex-husband not paying their toll bill for 6 months. I'm not sure of the legalities on 10k accumulated in only 6 months but I would hate to have to deal with that BS all because I wasn't notified early on about some toll charge. So I would check with the NTTA before I did anymore bragging about not having to pay my toll fees...just down forget to tell us the out come...we may want to register our vehicles out of state if you happen to be right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas