Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, I'm assuming both lots are in the same general price range. There's a reason why you can buy an acre in FM for the price of 1/3 acre in SL--> demand drives price up.

I disagree with th poster who said the larger lot in FM has a greater chance of appreciation. No, the better located lot has the greatest chance. Case in point: a 50x150 lot in the Park Cities has experienced (and will continue to) far greater appreciation than a 1 acre lot in Murphy, Lucas, Colleyville, even Southlake. Location & demand drive appreciation, not lot size.
Tiz true, veddddy true..All other aspects being equal Southlake wins the value retention argument here. Me personally, I would probably still choose Flo Mo for personal reasons, spacial reasons, but I don't think you can't go wrong with that Southlake spot. Although it almost feels like your up in Trophy Club/Westlake area. That could be a good thing or not, just worth noting your away from the 'thick of things' in SL if that is at all important to you, namely the school district. Major advantage for neighborhoods like Timmarron. For me personally it would be an advantage. Far enough away for peace and quiet, quick shot down White Chapel and whamo your at Town Center etc. Just know if your kids are going to SL schools that that road (Continental BLVD I think) is beastly in the morning. When I have dropped my nephew off at school a few times I just remember the traffic crawling over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,751 times
Thanks guys. Lots of good info.

So which neighborhoods in Southlake are best? I thought Estes would be a good choice because it's close to 114. Any new subdivisions you guys recommend? I know Shady Oaks just opened.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Thanks guys. Lots of good info.

So which neighborhoods in Southlake are best? I thought Estes would be a good choice because it's close to 114. Any new subdivisions you guys recommend? I know Shady Oaks just opened.
Best is subjective..Estes is probably super nice, I don't think it's location is a detractor, and I am sure 114 adds to the attraction. Some of the more established neighborhoods closer to TC and Schools are Timmaron, Foxborough, South Ridge Lakes to name a few. A realtor can tell you all the nuances of each.

Also, if you aren't already..Google Earth is your friend. The full blown application is best.

Last edited by skids929; 02-02-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Best is subjective..Estes is probably super nice, I don't think it's location is a detractor, and I am sure 114 adds to the attraction. But some of the more established ones closer to TC and Schools are Timmaron, Foxborough, South Ridge Lakes to name a few. A realtor can tell you all the nuances of each.

Also, if you aren't already..Google Earth is your friend. The full blown application is best.
I've been surfing the entire FM/SL/Colleyville region on google earth... very cool program.

I think the issue with the more established neighborhoods is that there are no new lots for new construction.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I've been surfing the entire FM/SL/Colleyville region on google earth... very cool program.

I think the issue with the more established neighborhoods is that there are no new lots for new construction.
Does it have to be new? I mean at your price point you get some really nice amenities in a resale. I understand the allure of new, but in a place like Southlake thats 85% or so built out it gets spotty.

There is a nice house for sale in Bella Lago right now $800kish, that REALLY shows off the larger lots in that neighborhood. I think that is where it is at.

have you been to both towns? spend time driving around?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Does it have to be new? I mean at your price point you get some really nice amenities in a resale. I understand the allure of new, but in a place like Southlake thats 85% or so built out it gets spotty.

There is a nice house for sale in Bella Lago right now $800kish, that REALLY shows off the larger lots in that neighborhood. I think that is where it is at.

have you been to both towns? spend time driving around?
I prefer new at the moment but if there's a really nice slightly used one with great finishes that we would've wanted in a new house, then that's OK with us too.

I've been to both towns - but I would not say that I'm super familiar with either. I'm a little bit more comfortable with Southlake since I've driven around SL more than I have at FM.

I like FM because it's so close to my job. I like SL because it seems the place to be if you're not in Park Cities.

FM seems great also - a lot of potential in an already great area. The 1 acre lots are fantastic.

This is something I really have to think long and hard about.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I prefer new at the moment but if there's a really nice slightly used one with great finishes that we would've wanted in a new house, then that's OK with us too.

I've been to both towns - but I would not say that I'm super familiar with either. I'm a little bit more comfortable with Southlake since I've driven around SL more than I have at FM.

I like FM because it's so close to my job. I like SL because it seems the place to be if you're not in Park Cities.

FM seems great also - a lot of potential in an already great area. The 1 acre lots are fantastic.

This is something I really have to think long and hard about.
I gotta be honest, and like I said early in this thread, I don't think you can go wrong in either Town. Southlake has only a small edge on FM in the "desirability" department. Not enough to feel like you would be making a bad decision if you choose FM.

PS: if you haven't covered this base yet you want to make sure you want to pay attention to future land use as it pertains to Gas Drilling. I know both towns have strict rules, and FM even has an overlay map which is pretty helpful. Just something to add to the loooooooong list. : )

Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM

94 posts, read 305,038 times
my 2 cents - looked at SL and FM.... went with FM due to location of SO's job commute (Denton proper) and my need to get to DFW for weekly travel....

I know Bella Largo very well - was looking there and in the Reserve when we first moved here.... very very nice gated community.... very nice large lots available and many relatively new custom homes, very large, with significant outdoor spaces and garages - mostly in the $900k to $2MM range- some with direct GV lake access and/or backing up to CC land....

It is all up to what you hold/find important, but with young children, my SO wanted FM, so as to minimize her daily commute and so that she could easily attend school event and other ad-hoc family needs...also, my SO and girls ride, so the ability to be less than a mile from their FM riding stable, the club and other activities, was paramount...

You cant go wrong in either place IMHO, but for minimal drive time and maximum home time, if working in FM, I'd try to live there also... and the location you are looking at is definitely prime

Good luck and enjoy the journey

Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 AM

44 posts, read 83,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
What upscale shopping is in Flower Mound?

My definition of upscale shopping....

-Nordtsrom,PotteryBarn,J crew,Apple,Whole Foods a major mall that provides major upsale shopping amongst other stores.Northpark,stonebriar etc...
Upscale Shopping?
It amazes me that people get a thrill paying more for pretty much something that will be available at Marshalls , Ross or TJMaxx for 1/3 the price in a few months.
For the uppity folks in SL it appears that paying retail is a norm and rite of passage of snobbery.
I shiver when I think of the poorer kids who go to the so called premium Carroll schools, remember 1/3 of CISD falls in Grapevine where incomes are very middle class, and there are some trailer type homes too in SL itself.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoubert View Post
Upscale Shopping?
It amazes me that people get a thrill paying more for pretty much something that will be available at Marshalls , Ross or TJMaxx for 1/3 the price in a few months.
Bologna..Marshalls and TJs do NOT get all the run off from higher end retailers-trust me, I live and work right near their headquarters and headquarter stores. Absolute rubbish.
And anyway, who says these so-called "people" who shop so called high end don't just hit the sales? Have you ever been to the Nordstrom half yearly? Or experienced a Bloomingdales sale (they're incredible). And you get actual good quality merchandise that will LAST! Not junk from Geoffrey Beene that you have to buy annually because it falls apart after three dry-cleans.

Sorry for the rant, but I despise Marshalls and TJs, and I am not some uppity type. Those places are ratholes and confuse the hell out of me trying to find stuff and generally don't have quality goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas