Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 AM

457 posts, read 431,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
You're right, but it goes straight to the heart of the OP's question about anti-Hispanic sentiment in Texas.
I second that. "Anti-mexican" sentiment and the ILLEGAL immigration of mexicans goes hand-in-hand and fits quite well into the topic at hand.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 AM

13 posts, read 16,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
There is definately a growing anti-ILLEGAL sentiment in Dallas as there is across the country. It is a shame that LEGAL immigrants such as yourself are being caught up in it though.

If they want to be Americans so badly, why is it that at all the "rallies" they carry the MEXICAN flag?
I'm not an immigrant. My family has been in this country since the 1920's. I know white people who are more "immigrants" than I am.

It's very interesting to read all the posts here. They've been informative. I appreciate the honesty, but it's fairly obvious from some posts that the anti-Mexican attitude is couched in terms of immigration and culture. The fact is, as one poster said, I will most likely always be considered an illegal immigrant until proven otherwise because all Mexicans are suspicious. And if I "act Mexican" then I'm in big trouble. I guess I'll have to put away the six 5-gallon tubs of bright pink paint I bought in anticipation of buying a home in Dallas. And no marching for La Raza? Darn. There goes my weekends!

As for why Mexicans display the Mexican flag during rallies, why do people put up German Christmas trees, eat corned beef on St. Patrick's Day, sing a Scottish song on New Year's Eve, or eat Italian food? We should all just be living in huts and eating turkey and corn if we want to be real Americans. Heck, the Europeans brought in horses. Obviously those need to go too.

The reason is that human beings like symbols that remind them of where they came from. They hold on to these things because they like being reminded of the past and a culture that they all but abandoned when leaving the mother countries. The only difference is that these other symbols have been co-opted into American culture, so they're ok. Maybe some day you'll all be flying the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo instead of just drinking your margaritas and eating salsa.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 AM

58 posts, read 222,111 times
I am Latina, and I have never had any instances of discrimination while living in Dallas.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Quote:
It's that I want them to use the proper channels to get here
What would those be? Do those exist?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seconddessert View Post
I'm not an immigrant. My family has been in this country since the 1920's. I know white people who are more "immigrants" than I am.

It's very interesting to read all the posts here. They've been informative. I appreciate the honesty, but it's fairly obvious from some posts that the anti-Mexican attitude is couched in terms of immigration and culture. The fact is, as one poster said, I will most likely always be considered an illegal immigrant until proven otherwise because all Mexicans are suspicious. And if I "act Mexican" then I'm in big trouble. I guess I'll have to put away the six 5-gallon tubs of bright pink paint I bought in anticipation of buying a home in Dallas. And no marching for La Raza? Darn. There goes my weekends!

As for why Mexicans display the Mexican flag during rallies, why do people put up German Christmas trees, eat corned beef on St. Patrick's Day, sing a Scottish song on New Year's Eve, or eat Italian food? We should all just be living in huts and eating turkey and corn if we want to be real Americans. Heck, the Europeans brought in horses. Obviously those need to go too.

The reason is that human beings like symbols that remind them of where they came from. They hold on to these things because they like being reminded of the past and a culture that they all but abandoned when leaving the mother countries. The only difference is that these other symbols have been co-opted into American culture, so they're ok. Maybe some day you'll all be flying the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo instead of just drinking your margaritas and eating salsa.
Dallas is in no way unique either. You'll find this in a lot of sunbelt states that are popular with illegal immigrants. A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, equate Mexicans with illegal immigration. People who know better know that there are a lot of Mexican-Americans who have been in Texas as long as it has been a state.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I second that. "Anti-mexican" sentiment and the ILLEGAL immigration of mexicans goes hand-in-hand and fits quite well into the topic at hand.
It does apply, so thanks. But what is going too far is debating immigration policy. Clearly people have different views about the issue and they're not going to be resolved on this forum. Sadly, some of these views do lead to prejudices and they cannot be ignored; it's good to see them to know what I'm up against.

Frankly, I'm not happy about it, but we're most likely going to move there. But I think it'll be a valuable learning experience to deal with it.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
What would those be? Do those exist?
USCIS Home Page

As to the op's comment: I don't think anybody has a problem with folks celebrating their culture or celebrating their holidays or whatever. However, when you are marching in a demonstration to promote your becoming a U.S. citizen , carrying the flag of mexico and shouting: "Viva mexico" might not be the best way to demonstrate your desire to become part of our society.

To the op whose family has been in the U.S. since the 1920's: My family arrived in PA in the late 1700's. But, it doesn't matter if your family arrived here Legally in 1700, 1920 or 2007! Immigration is what made this Country strong and what it is today.I am not "anti-immigration". I am against ILLEGAL LAWBREAKERS. That includes people of any culture, race or creed that by-passes the standard immigration channels to get here. If a bunch of my family members from Germany decided to cross the border ILLEGALLY, I'd feel the exact same way.

I also do not approve of people grouping all hispanics into thesame "ILLEGAL mexican" category. TheHispanics who ARE legal American citizens either by birth or immigration, should stand up and take a stand to fight the ILLEGALS. Better still, try and HELP the ILLEGALS come here through legal means!

It is not our fault that the Legal U.S. Citizen's are choosing to defend the ILLEGALS, as opposed to respecting the Laws of the Nation, nd siding with the CRIMINALS.

I don't want to pay for it anymore, and I will no longer remain silent about it. It's a problem. Thankfully, I am not alone. It's a scourge. It's growing. It needs to be stopped, and stopped it will be. PERIOD.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
It does apply, so thanks. But what is going too far is debating immigration policy. Clearly people have different views about the issue and they're not going to be resolved on this forum. Sadly, some of these views do lead to prejudices and they cannot be ignored; it's good to see them to know what I'm up against.

Frankly, I'm not happy about it, but we're most likely going to move there. But I think it'll be a valuable learning experience to deal with it.
A lot of Texans feel very strongly about the issue but won't bring it up with you because they don't want to get into an argument. That happens a lot; people are often too polite/too PC to get dragged into a convo like that, especially at work. It's one thing to argue passionately about it on a message board; it's another to talk to someone face-to-face about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
USCIS Home Page
I also do not approve of people grouping all hispanics into thesame "ILLEGAL mexican" category. TheHispanics who ARE legal American citizens either by birth or immigration, should stand up and take a stand to fight the ILLEGALS. Better still, try and HELP the ILLEGALS come here through legal means!

It is not our fault that the Legal U.S. Citizen's are choosing to defend the ILLEGALS, as opposed to respecting the Laws of the Nation, nd siding with the CRIMINALS.

I don't want to pay for it anymore, and I will no longer remain silent about it. It's a problem. Thankfully, I am not alone. It's a scourge. It's growing. It needs to be stopped, and stopped it will be. PERIOD.
More to the point, does this feeling affect your treatment of your fellow human being on a daily basis? When you look at someone you assume is Mexican, do you immediately think she is an illegal degenerate with 12 kids who is sucking away your tax dollars OR are you giving her the benefit of the doubt and being as respectful to her as you would to anyone else? I'm not interested in your position on immigration one way or another except to understand how it affects the choices you make for the way you treat people in your normal, everyday interactions.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
More to the point, does this feeling affect your treatment of your fellow human being on a daily basis? When you look at someone you assume is Mexican, do you immediately think she is an illegal degenerate with 12 kids who is sucking away your tax dollars OR are you giving her the benefit of the doubt and being as respectful to her as you would to anyone else? I'm not interested in your position on immigration one way or another except to understand how it affects the choices you make for the way you treat people in your normal, everyday interactions.
I do my very best to treat all people as human beings. I am not perfect, of course, being human. I do not believe that you will be treated badly. As an op posted, it's more of a "simmering anger" that will be acted out by legal means(Changes to the laws, policies, etc,).

I have not seen, nor would I be in favor of anybody mistreating anybody. As a matter of fact, I think those that view the majority of illegals as "violent" or "dangerous drug dealers" are sorely mistaken as well. Although I view the illegals as "criminals", I'd gladly welcome the vast majority of them back as full-fledged American citizens, with all the rights and priveleges that implies. Their work ethic is far better than any other race in this country as a whole be it white, black, asian or whatever. To me, that is a very desirable trait that should be respected.

I certainly apologize to you if I made you feel anything other than a Citizen. You have no more or less rights than anybody else in this country. I think that is the biggest mistake the media and some advocate groups have made. They have purposely blurred the line between Legal/illegal to fit their particular needs, and that has had a very detrimental on legal hispanics in Texas and the US as a whole. I try not to make that same distinction, hence my use of the word "Illegal" in all caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas