Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 AM

93 posts, read 365,171 times

Advertisements

there seems to be a big distinction between legal and not legal. I think those are words that people are hanging onto - words without much substance (if any) behind them.

I venture to guess that if any of us were in a bad situation, and we knew of opportunities that existed to better provide for our family and loved ones, regardless of some "official" status given by a foreign government - we would go where the opportunites are - that is simply human nature.

So to me, whether someone is legal or not legal is not the major onus of the situation - all that is, is a "fallback" word. The real issue that stands out in people's minds (because ideally, we have no way to know if someone is legal or not) is whether someone is making an effort to live in harmony in the new society they have chosen to adopt for themselves - or whether they come here to take advantage of the opportunites - while at the same time snubbing their noses (inadvertenly or otherwise) at the system of checks and balances and basic customs of this society and by sheer nature of their actions - become a hindrance and eyesore to society.

If someone came here illegally but is trying to make a decent, honest living and provide for their family back home - i don't see that as any different than anyone else might do. However, if someone is here legally, but disrupts the lives of those around them - is completely callous and disrespectful - to me (and regardless of one's nationality) - to me, that is a much bigger problem.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 AM

170 posts, read 847,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
We are also a LOT more "full" than we were back then. Do you think that we have an unlimited amount of room and resources to provide for everybody who wants to migrate here?

ALL of our resources are tapped to the brink of collapse; It's a well accepted fact that Social Security will be exhausted before too long, for example.
Then how about we deport all those lazy, unemployed Americans who do nothing all day but smoke,drink, and drive around in their cars/pickup trucks...if they even own a vehicle. At least immigrants work and contribute to the economy-despite what some of you may think, the fact they are working and providing services is helping the economy. Look at how stagnant Japan's economy has been for decades now due to their anti-immigration policies.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 AM

457 posts, read 431,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
Then how about we deport all those lazy, unemployed Americans who do nothing all day but smoke,drink, and drive around in their cars/pickup trucks...if they even own a vehicle. At least immigrants work and contribute to the economy-despite what some of you may think, the fact they are working and providing services is helping the economy. Look at how stagnant Japan's economy has been for decades now due to their anti-immigration policies.

See, people like you tend to "gloss over" the fact that they got their start here as ILLEGAL criminals. I agree that there are American's here not pulling their own weight; I am not in favor of providing for their financial needs long-term either, but, they are AMERICANS. They don't crawl over here on there pregnant-bellies to pop out a fresh, new American for the rest of us to support. That should be #1 on the list of things to change: If your PARENTS are ILLEGAL, then so are you.

It is a FACT that ILLEGAL mexicans are a DRAIN on our Society, NOT a "bonus". Even after their "contributions" are considered, we still end up at a LOSS. The ILLEGALs and their supporters like yourself, are causing wages to plummet in every industry they are involved in. Why do you allow it to continue? Because it's GREAT for big business.

As far as I'm concerned those who support the ILLEGAL criminals can climb on the "Deportacion" bus and relocate back down south with them. Wait a minute...mexico won't ALLOW you to immigrate there; It's against their policias. :-)

Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
Quote:
They take more from the economy than they contribute; it's a fact.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,428,001 times
Quote:
Thanks for showing your true colors. Yep...all unemployed Americans are lazy. I guess I am too. I am technically "unemployed " stay at home Mom. Being head of the family, raising responsible citizens for our future, wait...let me go get my Bon Bons and go watch a soap opera. Do I need shoes for that or can I still be barefoot too...

Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM

77 posts, read 341,833 times
Why is it a fact, because you say so, because a bunch of other people posted so.
It's impossible to quantify because much of the benefit isn't easily accountable. Is there a huge cost, sure. Is it greater than the benefit? Who knows.
And to say they take more money from the economy than they contribute, well, the same could be said for the majority of our legal citizens.
My point, simply deporting all illegals will solve nothing, it will only trade one set of problems for another.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:14 PM

57 posts, read 142,538 times
In a nutshell:

Yes, there are anti-Mexican sentiments in Dallas. Yes, it is thick. No, your Caucasian husband, fluent English, education and hard-working background won't shield you. That's not to say that you won't be able to make a good living here; you will. You may even have a happy life here. But prepare yourself for the shock, because it's coming. No amount of warning will prepare you.

There are people here who swear that their problem is with illegal immigrants, not Mexicans. (That won't explain away their disdain for African-Americans, Asians, or anybody who isn't white, but I digress.) These are the same people who will tell you that they have no problem with black people, but they hate n*ggers. People with mindsets like that can't tell the difference anyway. ANY black person who pisses them off becomes a n*gger and ANY Latino (Mexican or not!) that angers them becomes an illegal. I won't even get started on people who look like they're of Middle Eastern descent. They'll tell you differently - even swear up and down that "I'm not a racist, BUT..." but you'll know the truth after just three months of living here. I wish I could give you a rosier outlook, but I'd be lying. But you're right here, reading with your own eyes people JUSTIFYING their hatred, EXCUSING their bigotry and ATTACKING anyone who flat out says "yes, there is anti-Mexican sentiments in Dallas, which aren't to be confused with the anti-black, anti-Middle Eastern or anti-anything but lily white and Protestant sentiments".

I grew up in Dallas, then moved to Florida to go to college. I recently came back, and I'm shocked and sickened (and did I mention shocked?) at the hateful attitudes towards Mexicans here in Dallas County. Worse, I'm angry and annoyed by the denial of this very blatant and accepted racism in my hometown. Seconddesert, all I can say is good luck, and I hope you bring your big girl boots, because you're going to need them. Welcome to the Big D.

Quote:
Given that illegal immigration costs the state of Texas $2 billion a year
How much is corporate welfare costing the state of Texas per year? Oh, that's right! WHITE MALES are the prime beneficiaries of corporate welfare! Never mind, carry on!

Last edited by Joyce Bains; 10-09-2007 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 02:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I don't think that's fair. In fact I would call it BS. Where are you from in Dallas?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM

57 posts, read 142,538 times
All right! The denial trains flies in right on schedule. Am I good or what?

Quote:
Where are you from in Dallas?
What does it matter?

Quote:
When you look at someone you assume is Mexican, do you immediately think she is an illegal degenerate with 12 kids who is sucking away your tax dollars
Nah. They save those lovely stereotypes for black people.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM

457 posts, read 431,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricor View Post
Why is it a fact, because you say so, because a bunch of other people posted so.
It's impossible to quantify because much of the benefit isn't easily accountable. Is there a huge cost, sure. Is it greater than the benefit? Who knows.
And to say they take more money from the economy than they contribute, well, the same could be said for the majority of our legal citizens.
My point, simply deporting all illegals will solve nothing, it will only trade one set of problems for another.

Please see HERE: for a small amount of FACTS regarding the issue. //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-s-dallas.html

Google search and find further proof if you so desire. It's not true simply because a "small group" say it is; it's true because it's FACT. Numbers do not lie or differentiate or choose sides. (with the exception of Statistics, of course that can be skewed to prove just about any point)

Your contention that the "majority of our legal Citizens" take more than they give is just plain absurd. Even the majority of this country's poor pay taxes. If you care to discuss further, I opened a new topic (quoted above) to move this topic to it's own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas