Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
Glad you went back and reread b/c I'm not asking for a new A/C or $5k. The age of A/C was not on disclosure. I do happen to think an allowance of $2-$2500k is fair. That would include other repairs that inspector pointed out as well. Seller can say no or offer lower. It's just a negotiation.
Just wanted to come here and see what the norm for something like this is. It gets very hot here and a functioning A/C is a necessity.
Will know more when its looked at this afternoon. Thanks
Don't be shocked if they tell you to stuff it, though. That's what my sellers told me when I asked for similar concessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,151 times
I won't be shocked. Can't hurt to ask though. It is called negotiating.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM

11 posts, read 24,712 times
Hello globe,

I purchased a house about 2 years ago and the AC and water heater were really about to die as well. I asked for $5,000 in cash and didn't think I was gonna get anything as the home was recently renovated, and the only problems were the aged AC and water heater. But the seller was willing to negotiate and we settled at $4,000. Our realtor told us that it wouldn't hurt to ask, cause the seller could just say no. Just FYI.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,151 times
Thanks for the response Inktomeiou1. You're absolutely right. It can't hurt to ask. They can only say no.
Gf is over there now with A/C guy and a plumber to check on water heater and seeing about cost to vent it properly. Will decide on how much to ask for later this afternoon, once we've weighed all of the costs, etc. I don't want to put all of our hope into the home warranty b/c I've been researching those as well and they all sound like nightmares.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
You're smart to think this thru before signing anything. The last house we bought had an A/C in the attic...we had an inspection but the fact it had a "little leak" got overlooked - we remodeled, painted, etc did lots of work before moving in - but shortly after we moved in the "little leak" had saturated enough of the ceiling that the whole @*%$% A/C unit fell thru the ceiling - with lots of collateral damage below to the furniture, molding, and newly painted walls below.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
In Texas,offers are not contingent upon inspection. My understanding is the TREC residential purchase contract is basically "as is." but provides for an option period. Following the 3-5 day option period, during which the inspection takes place, the buyer can decide if the deal (negotiated sales price) makes sense vs. the comps and the condition of the property. If the deal makes sense, the contract is alive and the sale is pending. If the deal no longer makes sense to the buyer, s/he can walk away. That's basically the way the TREC contract is set up. However, often before "walking away" the buyer will decide the deal doesn't make sense as it stands and asks for concessions in terms of price reduction or repairs. This is all normal.

Don't pay attention to personal attacks of posters regarding your question about asking for concessions. It has become almost a punishment to post one's questions at times. There are always people who find pleasure in responding to questions in "attack mode." I don't understand why others find enjoyment in whipping out mean responses.
Never seen that even once. And I'm fifth time DFW buyer.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Never seen that even once. And I'm fifth time DFW buyer.
I've bought at least 10 houses in the DFW area in the past few years. Here's a copy of the TREC contract; note section 7D. Buyer either names specific repairs or buyer accepts as is. This is BEFORE the inspection. Then, as I said, during the option period if the house is inspected, the buyer might decide the agree sales price isn't acceptable anymore and ask for concessions or bail. http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/20-11.pdf

Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I've bought at least 10 houses in the DFW area in the past few years. Here's a copy of the TREC contract; note section 7D. Buyer either names specific repairs or buyer accepts as is. This is BEFORE the inspection. Then, as I said, during the option period if the house is inspected, the buyer might decide the agree sales price isn't acceptable anymore and ask for concessions or bail. http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/20-11.pdf
Our TX contracts have an "Option Period" where the buyer can put up a sum of money to buy the right to terminate for ANY reason. It's designed to do inspections and terminate if a MAJOR problem is found.

I've had a few buyers terminate due to loss of job, bad foundations, because the sky is blue and a multitude of other reasons.

OP, a decent agent looks at the outside AC units on any home they help you buy. You can tell how old they are just by looking and their is no reason to disclose because they are "Old" (they are currently working). Are you sure your agent is doing their job and giving you good advice ?

The seller may have sold the house with a consideration of it's current condition. No one here knows what you paid and can recommend what you should do. If you bought the house $10K below market, is that not a good deal in it's current condition ?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM

186 posts, read 446,372 times
If price is right then just enjoy it and replace when time comes. If price is high then no harm in asking but seller may see no harm in denying. Of course older house would come with older appliances unless something broke & needed replacement. People are getting obsessed with throwing away working systems & appliances and install holy grail of 89 SEERS & 30 cubic feet stainless steel refregirators.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I won't be shocked. Can't hurt to ask though. It is called negotiating.
Correct, though your seller is unlikely to shell out for a new system. If it were me, I wouldn't put one thin dime into a new AC system for a buyer unless I was desperate to sell. If your seller is desperate and has the money, then you may get lucky. Can't hurt to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas