Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 AM

15 posts, read 21,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
I can well afford a pool but choose not to have one. It's just not worth it to me. It's worth it to others, and that's fine by me.

I also wouldn't consider summers in the DFW area 'seriously brutal'. A few days a year may be a bit excessive, but it's nothing like I've experienced in places like Dubai or Saudi Arabia.
Same here, most of the houses if not all we have seen that are more than 480,000 have a massive pool but little yard space which is a down side. Also does anyone know how much it costs to maintain these things? Thanks to you guys a pool doesn't seem to be so bad but I don't really want a money Pitt. And yes while I was working in Dubai for a couple of years that was brutal, Glad I don't have to deal with that heat again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM

20 posts, read 31,723 times
I don't understand what this discussion is really about? Some people can afford the pool and some can't. It doesn't mean that Texas is not warm or having a private pool is a bad thing. If someone is too worried about $100 monthly care or may be $5,000 to change the equipment or lining once a 5-10 years then its smart to know that its not for them. I for one would rather have a pool than a media room or a man cave but that is not the case for every one.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
Plano has lots of traffic and is over-developed and rather commercial-looking. Coppell is more bland (I've lived here 22 years-best schools.)

A pool hurts your home's re-sale, and is actually detrimental to the value of your home. (They look nice when they're new, but have problems down the road that buyers don't want to inherit.)

There are plenty of beautiful homes in Coppell w/o pools, and traffic is lighter.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Plano has lots of traffic and is over-developed and rather commercial-looking. Coppell is more bland (I've lived here 22 years-best schools.)

A pool hurts your home's re-sale, and is actually detrimental to the value of your home. (They look nice when they're new, but have problems down the road that buyers don't want to inherit.)

There are plenty of beautiful homes in Coppell w/o pools, and traffic is lighter.
Couldn't disagree more that a pool is detrimental to the value of your home at least in the cities that are being discussed here. A decent pool that stills allows for some backyard is never priced less than a comparable home with a pool. You won't get 100% or even 75% of what you put in if you build a pool so I would never build my own pool. Also, once you learn how to balance the chemicals it is quite simple and requires very little maintenance from Nov-April. Chlorine tablets every few weeks and the occasional 24 oz of acid. Summertime requires more chlorine, algae control, phos-free and brushing.

Of course when you need to replace pumps, replastering, heater, etc is when the significant costs kick in.

Other than that no reason to argue if the OP should have a pool or not.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM

35 posts, read 62,418 times
Quote:

Its true for cheaper homes but for homes $400k and up, buyers expect a pool. I found plenty of beautiful homes in Plano with green belts, ravine, creeks and golf courses. It offers much more than Coppell. You can find quiter and greener neighborhoods in both cities. Both offer great schools. Plano's high schools rank higher and offer several options than Coppell but from all other data, they look pretty much at same standard.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersvilling View Post
Plano's high schools rank higher and offer several options than Coppell but from all other data, they look pretty much at same standard.
That's actually not true. Coppell, Plano W, and Plano Sr are eternally jockeying for the #3-5 ranks in the DFW area. This year Coppell is ahead with SAT of 1555 vs 1518 at Plano West and 1482 at Plano Senior, but over the years they all trade places with no clear one being "higher".

Coppell offers IB, as does PISD at its Plano E campus. All schools have a robust AP offering, with 27 courses at Coppell, 28 at Plano Sr, and 29 at Plano W.

I think the decision lies in 1) where does one prefer to live and 2) personal preference on mega-districts (Plano has 55,000 students) vs smaller ones (Coppell has about 10,000 students).

Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 31,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That's actually not true. Coppell, Plano W, and Plano Sr are eternally jockeying for the #3-5 ranks in the DFW area. This year Coppell is ahead with SAT of 1555 vs 1518 at Plano West and 1482 at Plano Senior, but over the years they all trade places with no clear one being "higher".

Coppell offers IB, as does PISD at its Plano E campus. All schools have a robust AP offering, with 27 courses at Coppell, 28 at Plano Sr, and 29 at Plano W.

I think the decision lies in 1) where does one prefer to live and 2) personal preference on mega-districts (Plano has 55,000 students) vs smaller ones (Coppell has about 10,000 students).
Incorrect information. Here is a list that I found.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 - DFW High Schools ranked by SAT scores

I am adding scores of top ten here.

1917 - Talented/Gifted magnet (Dallas)

1792 - Highland Park (Highland Park)
1779 - Science/Engineering magnet (Dallas)

1737 - Uplift North Hills (charter)
1736 - Westlake (charter)
1723 - Carroll (Southlake Carroll)
1715 - Plano West (Plano)
1700 - Coppell (Coppell)

1695 - Plano Senior (Plano)
1687 - Flower Mound (Lewisville)

Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombaykid007 View Post
Incorrect information. Here is a list that I found.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 - DFW High Schools ranked by SAT scores

I am adding scores of top ten here.

1917 - Talented/Gifted magnet (Dallas)

1792 - Highland Park (Highland Park)
1779 - Science/Engineering magnet (Dallas)

1737 - Uplift North Hills (charter)
1736 - Westlake (charter)
1723 - Carroll (Southlake Carroll)
1715 - Plano West (Plano)
1700 - Coppell (Coppell)

1695 - Plano Senior (Plano)
1687 - Flower Mound (Lewisville)

Apologies, I pulled the data for a specific demographic, not the whole class of 2012.

Also- I only look at public, neighborhood schools when I talk about rankings. SEM, North Hills, etc are EXTREMELY selective charter & magnet schools so it's unfair to include them in ranking neighborhood schools who must educate everyone.

In that case, rankings are as follows:
1. HP
2. Southlake
3. Plano West
4. Coppell
5. Plano Senior

Just as I said, Plano W, Coppell, and Plano Sr jockey for 3-4-5 every year and are statistically VERY close to one another (like 1-3 questions on the whole three-section SAT apart from each other).

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I would also say that a pool is high on my list if I were to buy again. There's nothing like coming home and taking a dip in YOUR pool in YOUR backyard. You'll love it when your family comes to visit. You'll love it when you just can't seem to get cool.

No, many people wouldn't consider it a "necessity", but I certainly would. It's also very calming. I moved to Texas when I started high school and my parents had a pool. It was so nice to have family gatherings, friends, barbecues around the pool...the sunset by the pool was so relaxing. You'd probably have better luck with a pool in Coppell as Lakewood has so many trees, I'd wonder what the issues would be in a heavily treed yard.

Anyway, I don't know exact costs and I don't know the water consumption. However, with a little bit of brushing/sweeping and some chemicals, it's not too bad of upkeep. I do suggest if you're not familiar, hiring someone could be worth it...jmo...love me some pool days in the summer!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:

Your pool screed is absurd. While it may well be true that a dilapidated pool might have a negative impact on ones home so would cars on blocks and un-mowed grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas