Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 02:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,636 times

Advertisements

Did you find that having community amenities such as golf course,pools, workout center help you meet people in the community or it didn't make a difference? Spoken to transplants who have said it was hard to break in the community regardless of amenities. What was your experience? If I do a search on just house there is plenty to choose from in Plano west and west allen---twin creeks and Waterford parks... And it would SAVE us money by going with a pre existing home but it's hard to tell how active the communities are and if paying for amenities like the 1200 bucks in richwoods is worth it. The advantage of a newer community is that everyone is in the same boat... Looking to hear from other experiences since we have...err shall I say dh has expanded the search for us. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,465,373 times
From your username, I assume you have children. On that assumption, if your children are active you will have plenty of interaction with others in the community(imo). My wife and I have memberships through my family at different country clubs, social clubs, tennis clubs, etc. that we never use, like once a few times a year if that use, because we're homebodies. Even though our kids are very young, we get plenty of interaction just through events for them.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
have never bought home in community based on "amenities" even when we had children

Old 03-14-2014, 07:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
We haven't met anyone at the community pool or any of the amenities

Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
We don't have a community amenity in our neighborhood, but it was a new neighborhood and we have lots of transplants. One of the first things that happened was a group formed a Social Committee within the neighborhood HOA and it's been really great for meeting neighbors. At the time there were a lot of younger kids (pre-school) and once they all hit kindergarten (seriously it seemed like everyone had a kindergartener) the PTA also became a source of getting to know others.

My DD is out of the house, but we're such a tight nit community that I, and some other empty-nesters, have volunteered up at the school at Field Day and know several of the teachers and the crossing guards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: