Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:55 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,310 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the insightful reviews. I am more concerned with the foundation issues here. Of course anything purchased that is new will once be old. There are some great homes that have come up that I can just "tell" they were not track built..or maybe they were but at that time, they still allowed for customization of some sort. Most of those homes are circa 1990-2000...and yes most have some sort of mature trees and yard. Thanks so much for the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:00 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Err, we'll have to disagree as is the case most times. I qualified my statement as intended. It seems to me an aspect of many modern two story houses is at any given square footage they tend to contain more volume or cubic footage than in the past, especially over most single story homes, that space must be heated and cooled.
Modern penchant for "open concept" and cathedral ceilings.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM

533 posts, read 643,319 times
I myself would be in the market for an older home soon. But I understand why some people prefer to go with a new home. The perception of not having to do any repairs for the next few years helps them sleep better at night. Getting warranty on a new house buys them some peace of mind. Notice that I say perception because it may not always be true. Also, people who haven't grown up in the US, are generally not DIY-ers and are scared to even make minor repairs. This is another reason why a lot of foreign born people prefer to go with newer homes. I say this because these were my reasons for buying my first new home many years ago. I know better now and threads like these make my decision to go with an older home this time, even stronger.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
I myself would be in the market for an older home soon. But I understand why some people prefer to go with a new home. The perception of not having to do any repairs for the next few years helps them sleep better at night. Getting warranty on a new house buys them some peace of mind. Notice that I say perception because it may not always be true. Also, people who haven't grown up in the US, are generally not DIY-ers and are scared to even make minor repairs. This is another reason why a lot of foreign born people prefer to go with newer homes. I say this because these were my reasons for buying my first new home many years ago. I know better now and threads like these make my decision to go with an older home this time, even stronger.
An updated older home often comes with a warranty provided by sellers; buyers can also negotiate for a longer warranty than the standard 12 months (tho in this market that might be difficult).

I just renovated a 43 year old house that I am just listing. Everything is new -- every appliance and the HVAC. Even the windows! All under warranty. The buyer will have the location, the mature landscaping, and the new roof, windows, appliances, etc. Can't get better than that. (Oh, and the price is $1.4M :....you kind of get what you pay for)

Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM

533 posts, read 643,319 times
@Squirl - If only I had $1.4M to spend on a house! I didn't know about getting a warranty when you buy an older home. Good to know, thanks!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
An updated older home often comes with a warranty provided by sellers; buyers can also negotiate for a longer warranty than the standard 12 months (tho in this market that might be difficult).

I just renovated a 43 year old house that I am just listing. Everything is new -- every appliance and the HVAC. Even the windows! All under warranty. The buyer will have the location, the mature landscaping, and the new roof, windows, appliances, etc. Can't get better than that. (Oh, and the price is $1.4M :....you kind of get what you pay for)
You can get a quality older home for far less than 1.4 million.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:18 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You can get a quality older home for far less than 1.4 million.
Yes, you certainly can!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Thanks for the insightful reviews. I am more concerned with the foundation issues here. Of course anything purchased that is new will once be old. There are some great homes that have come up that I can just "tell" they were not track built..or maybe they were but at that time, they still allowed for customization of some sort. Most of those homes are circa 1990-2000...and yes most have some sort of mature trees and yard. Thanks so much for the insight!
Well, frequently (and unfortunately) foundation issues tend to often go together with the mature trees, thanks to the drought we keep having and the small yards.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, frequently (and unfortunately) foundation issues tend to often go together with the mature trees, thanks to the drought we keep having and the small yards.
Only if you plant trees too close to the house. I removed a crape in my backyard that was too close to my house for my liking though I was more concerned with the roots messing with plumbing than my foundation. My house is on a pier and beam so I don't worry about its foundation much at all.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Only if you plant trees too close to the house. I removed a crape in my backyard that was too close to my house for my liking though I was more concerned with the roots messing with plumbing than my foundation.
"Too close" works out to be anywhere under the leaf canopy, because that's at least how far the roots will extend.

Quote:
My house is on a pier and beam so I don't worry about its foundation much at all.
What is the reason pier/pile construction isn't the norm for new houses in DFW? Short-sighted cost considerations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas