Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:20 PM

382 posts, read 629,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
@Squirl - If only I had $1.4M to spend on a house! I didn't know about getting a warranty when you buy an older home. Good to know, thanks!
Really depends on the market condition. Many homes are getting multiple offers at this time. Thus, asking for a warranty might decrease your chances of getting your offer accepted. Saw that during the last housing bubble in the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I'll likely be buying a home in 2 years' time, and I'll definitely look somewhere like Richardson, where I'd have the laidback feel of a suburb, but close enough to the city center and DART. From my experience buying in new development tends to put you near congestion and younger homebuyers who don't care about maintaining their property.
Probably depends on the price point of the new community. But at comparable prices, probably find the same mix of people old and new house. One could argue that new home buyers might be more worried about status, and thus want to maintain their property better, and/or the HOA might be more activie/diligent than the ones in places like Richardson (if there is one).

Frankly, it doesn't take much driving around in Richardson to find that there are really only a few sections where homeowners seem to have a higher standard of care vs other (most?) parts of the city. For the most part, the further north seems to be better on this. Plano seems to have fewer sections that look like they have been neglected at some level.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Probably depends on the price point of the new community. But at comparable prices, probably find the same mix of people old and new house. One could argue that new home buyers might be more worried about status, and thus want to maintain their property better, and/or the HOA might be more activie/diligent than the ones in places like Richardson (if there is one).

Frankly, it doesn't take much driving around in Richardson to find that there are really only a few sections where homeowners seem to have a higher standard of care vs other (most?) parts of the city. For the most part, the further north seems to be better on this. Plano seems to have fewer sections that look like they have been neglected at some level.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

What parts of Richardson looked run-down to you? We don't have HOAs here, thank god, because we don't need them. The city does a fine job of enforcing property codes. You have to TELL them about code violations, but trust me...it's as simple as loading the city's My Richardson app, taking a picture, and sending it to them. Easy.

Pretty much everyone in Richardson has gotten a nastygram at some point telling them to trim their trees, not to set their trash out early, etc. I live in the Heights area, Heights Park specifically. I rarely have occasion to "narc" on my neighbors. The overwhelming majority of properties in this neighborhood are meticulously maintained. People POUR money into their homes and yards when they move here. Seriously.

You don't know what you're talking about. Old does not mean dilapidated.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
I am looking at an older mid 80s home that is priced significantly higher than most (newer) homes in the HOA. If we proceed, we will do our due diligence -but being a first time home buyer, I am curious as to what are things I should pay attention to when considering a nearly 30 year old home?

Is it a given that a pier & beam foundation is always better for homes in areas with potential foundation issues? How much more should one factor into the price of a P&B home versus a slab home?

Thanks.
I'd like to hear more about the original question - so far the discussion is only about the slab vs pier and beam. All I can say about this is locals say to absolutely have it on your contingency list to inspect as the costs can be in the $1000s to repair.

I am also told that sewer pipes servicing the home prior to 1979 were made of iron, subject to rusting out. One person said they spent $1000s to get theirs inspected and repaired, as there was a large hole with tree roots.

Last, I understand that some kind of plastic piping (not sure what it was called) was used in older homes (not sure their age range) for indoor plumbing that proved to have a shorter life than expected.

Would be good to hear more things that might be unique to Dallas area or to the local codes pertaining to certain practices or materials that have proven out to have or be problems, that someone from out of town might not be aware of.

Yes, one can/should pay for a home inspection, but knowing beforehand what might be issues could help filter some areas or ages before getting that far down the path.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'd like to hear more about the original question - so far the discussion is only about the slab vs pier and beam. All I can say about this is locals say to absolutely have it on your contingency list to inspect as the costs can be in the $1000s to repair.

I am also told that sewer pipes servicing the home prior to 1979 were made of iron, subject to rusting out. One person said they spent $1000s to get theirs inspected and repaired, as there was a large hole with tree roots.

Last, I understand that some kind of plastic piping (not sure what it was called) was used in older homes (not sure their age range) for indoor plumbing that proved to have a shorter life than expected.

Would be good to hear more things that might be unique to Dallas area or to the local codes pertaining to certain practices or materials that have proven out to have or be problems, that someone from out of town might not be aware of.

Yes, one can/should pay for a home inspection, but knowing beforehand what might be issues could help filter some areas or ages before getting that far down the path.

My house in "shabby" Richardson is on a pier and beam. No problems whatsoever. Ditto my neighbors on pier and beams. My plumbing is all copper pipe. My house was built in 1957.

Every municipality is going to have its own little quirks when it comes to building codes but they are generally consistent from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, at least on the broad and medium-sized strokes.

You haven't even brought up electricity. Add that to your list.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

What parts of Richardson looked run-down to you? We don't have HOAs here, thank god, because we don't need them. The city does a fine job of enforcing property codes. You have to TELL them about code violations, but trust me...it's as simple as loading the city's My Richardson app, taking a picture, and sending it to them. Easy.

Pretty much everyone in Richardson has gotten a nastygram at some point telling them to trim their trees, not to set their trash out early, etc. I live in the Heights area, Heights Park specifically. I rarely have occasion to "narc" on my neighbors. The overwhelming majority of properties in this neighborhood are meticulously maintained. People POUR money into their homes and yards when they move here. Seriously.

You don't know what you're talking about. Old does not mean dilapidated.
It was not a comment about the age of the homes. When I was looking to move to DFW three years ago there were clearly several sections that showed a different standard of care - and that was prior to the big water restrictions. It is a matter of frequency in some areas vs others.

You can say what you like, I know what my eyes see. One does not have to drive far from Heights to see it. Far from all areas are like the Heights. Is it a condemnation of the entire city, absolutely not. Many, many things to commend it.

I'm sure you are not saying that all of Richardson is like the Heights as you describe it.

I'm sure any newcomer will arrive and make their own judgement, notwithstanding what either of us says.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My house in "shabby" Richardson is on a pier and beam. No problems whatsoever. Ditto my neighbors on pier and beams. My plumbing is all copper pipe. My house was built in 1957.

Every municipality is going to have its own little quirks when it comes to building codes but they are generally consistent from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, at least on the broad and medium-sized strokes.

You haven't even brought up electricity. Add that to your list.
Yes, good point. The feedback I got was about Plano specifically.

Electricity...not sure what you mean a buyer needs to be aware of?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, good point. The feedback I got was about Plano specifically.

Electricity...not sure what you mean a buyer needs to be aware of?
Your inspector can tell you all about that.

I will say this, though. Beware houses built in the 60s and 70s. Always, always, always ask about aluminum wire. If you find it, run.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
My Realtor says there was also a brand of electrical panel found to be inherently defective that you want to beware of. I can't recall the name at the moment--it wasn't one of the well known national brands--not Square D or Siemens.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My Realtor says there was also a brand of electrical panel found to be inherently defective that you want to beware of. I can't recall the name at the moment--it wasn't one of the well known national brands--not Square D or Siemens.
Probably old Federal Pacific panels. My house had a Federal Pacific Stablok when I bought it. I had it replaced prior to moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas