Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

Flower Mound has a better school district than Carrollton. Grapevine or Flower Mound would be a better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
That's about 30 miles from Plano and Dallas (were I may end up working) which would most likely turn into an hour plus commute but certainly worth looking into.

What about Carrollton? It's a bit further out from Haslet or Cedar Hill but pretty close to Dallas and Plano. What's it like?
What is your budget? With the places you've found in your search (Carrollton, Garland, Irving, etc), I'm wondering if it's in the $150-200k range....which will be really tough.

Carrollton is an aging inner ring suburb that covers a tremendous land area. The parts closer to 35/635 are industrial, the parts on the northern end look ok but are high crime (Josey/190 area). School district is sub-par though has a decent TAG program. It's "meh" but if you tell us your budget is $175k then it's better than some other options....

Old 11-22-2014, 11:29 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You can find houses under $200k in Grapevine...I happen to live in one of them, and there are several for sale in our neighborhood right now. You just have to have a a good Realtor and be able to go look quickly when new ones list.

I agree about Carrollton. It's not one of the first choices of suburbs...

Old 11-22-2014, 05:48 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
What is your budget? With the places you've found in your search (Carrollton, Garland, Irving, etc), I'm wondering if it's in the $150-200k range....which will be really tough.

Carrollton is an aging inner ring suburb that covers a tremendous land area. The parts closer to 35/635 are industrial, the parts on the northern end look ok but are high crime (Josey/190 area). School district is sub-par though has a decent TAG program. It's "meh" but if you tell us your budget is $175k then it's better than some other options....

Our budget is a little north of $300k if the other cost of living expenses remain about the same as our incomes stands right now although this transfer is also a promotion for my wife so her income will mostly likely increase about $20k a year so we should have some flexibility.

From what one poster said, it looks like property tax would about double for us but since there is no state income tax, it would even out I think.

I've not really looked at housing prices in any of the areas that much yet. I'm just looking at the map trying to look at places that may work as a commute to either of the three places as well as Dallas and maybe Forth Worth.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM

How is the weather there? People tell me it really hot but a "dry heat" as compared to "humid heat" we have here in NC. I've never been in a dry head climate.

How mild are the winters there also?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
no, its not a dry heat. Thats Arizona. Please do some research by looking up threads about the weather here in the forum. Its been discussed over and over and over and over.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
How is the weather there? People tell me it really hot but a "dry heat" as compared to "humid heat" we have here in NC. I've never been in a dry head climate.

How mild are the winters there also?
The heat is much less humid than on the coastline, but not as dry as the desert heat. You will have a few frizzy hair days here but not everyday

Our winter weather is really erratic. In the past 7 days, we've had days where the highs didn't get over 40 and a beautiful sunny 75 degree day on Sunday. In general, winter high temps are around 45-65 and lows around 30-45. We do get a little bit of snow, usually not more than a few inches a season although in 2011 or 12 we got about 1 foot in one day. We do get ice storms a couple times each winter. Since ice is dangerous to drive on and most people don't know how, usually businesses and schools close or are optional those days.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The heat is much less humid than on the coastline, but not as dry as the desert heat. You will have a few frizzy hair days here but not everyday

Our winter weather is really erratic. In the past 7 days, we've had days where the highs didn't get over 40 and a beautiful sunny 75 degree day on Sunday. In general, winter high temps are around 45-65 and lows around 30-45. We do get a little bit of snow, usually not more than a few inches a season although in 2011 or 12 we got about 1 foot in one day. We do get ice storms a couple times each winter. Since ice is dangerous to drive on and most people don't know how, usually businesses and schools close or are optional those days.
I believe 2010 was the one foot in one day. 2011 was the ice storm Jan 31/Feb 1 and below freezing the rest of the week, including additional substantial snowfall that Friday (Feb 4), and it all melted away Sat/Sun.

Dec 2013 we had the ice that closed schools for 2-3 days. I don't believe there was any snow/ice in 2012 (well, nothing more than a flurry or two, nothing that stuck).

The heat here is, as noted, "dry" compared to the NE or much of the upper midwest, but it's not Arizona by a long shot. There are some days that get fairly humid.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You can find houses under $200k in Grapevine...I happen to live in one of them, and there are several for sale in our neighborhood right now. You just have to have a a good Realtor and be able to go look quickly when new ones list.

I agree about Carrollton. It's not one of the first choices of suburbs...

So where should we be looking in the price range of $300k-$325k range that has good schools. I've tried looking around online a but without knowing the area and so many little cities and towns within the area, it hard to know.

I'm also curious as to what the housing is like. Is it more like communities with HOAs which is what it mostly is around Charlotte where we are now but in Virginia where we are from, it was not like that. The home were very spread out and lots sizes were often in excess of one acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas