Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:28 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What do you mean, no lakes?

White Rock Lake
Bachman Lake
North Lake
Grapevine Lake
Lake Ray Hubbard
Lake Lavon
Lake Dallas/Garza/Little Elm

As far as topography, it's the Great Plains. It's not as flat as Houston, which is on a Coastal Plain. There are light rolling hills primarily around creeks and draws.

As far as "snooty" and "upscale"; there are rich areas and poor areas, as in most cities. If you don't fit the exact this-week keeping-up-with-the-Joneses mood and don't want to be snubbed, then either hang out with actual rich people or actual middle-class people, and avoid areas where lots of people are trying to act like they're way more successful and sophisticated than they really are (I'm looking at you, "Uptown" (really just Oak Lawn), or University Park).
I am going to check all these places out. And by upscale I didn't mean snooty. I like upscale stuff. I was just saying in the OP that I was impressed with I saw in the video as far the inner core of Dallas. It looked nicely developed and upscale. I was always under the impression growing up in Houston that Dallas was just slightly smaller carbon copy of Dallas. It's smaller but certainly looks nicer and better developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
I disagree. You haven't been around south and west Dallas much, its much hillier than Houston. In fact, driving down beltline rd. from I20 through Cedar Hill is similar to Capital of Texas Hwy, just a shorter stretch and without all the $1M+ houses along the way.

Its funny, moving from Austin to DFW, I thought only Austin had everything until I drove around the area more. I am constantly impressed with everything Dallas has to offer and the direction its headed with urban development and green space projects. They actually get it done here and not just talk about it. You just don't hear about a lot of this stuff because it doesn't get hyped like they do in Austin every time a building gets discussed.

I love Greenville Ave and Knox/Henderson areas, north Oak Cliff is also really coming up. In fact, DW and I are considering buying in old East Dallas.
That's great! I am always glad to hear Texas cities moving in the right direction. But speaking of these areas around West Dallas, are you talking a bit further out of the city? Away from the burbs?

And by having everything, this is my dilemma. I might be leaving Los Angeles soon back to my hometown of Houston, but I was contemplating either staying in Houston or moving to Austin. I got used to big city and hilly outdoor recreation which Los Angeles has in spades. But Houston is a great big amazing city but it's flat while Austin is an amazing hilly city but it's small and might not boast the same big city amenities.

Would Dallas be a good compromise? A mix between the two? Big city but also geographically nice, at least nicer than Houston?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
What river does Houston gets its water from?
IDK, San Jacinto, I think? Why?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's great! I am always glad to hear Texas cities moving in the right direction. But speaking of these areas around West Dallas, are you talking a bit further out of the city? Away from the burbs?

And by having everything, this is my dilemma. I might be leaving Los Angeles soon back to my hometown of Houston, but I was contemplating either staying in Houston or moving to Austin. I got used to big city and hilly outdoor recreation which Los Angeles has in spades. But Houston is a great big amazing city but it's flat while Austin is an amazing hilly city but it's small and might not boast the same big city amenities.

Would Dallas be a good compromise? A mix between the two? Big city but also geographically nice, at least nicer than Houston?
No. Definitely Houston is your best choice. It's more modern, and they're building a rail system that moves people around. Austin is trying to be contemporary, but it's no Houston.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
No. Definitely Houston is your best choice. It's more modern, and they're building a rail system that moves people around. Austin is trying to be contemporary, but it's no Houston.
Are they adding to the Metro line? That's great! You would say Houston is more modern? What do you mean by Austin trying to be contemporary?

Last, how does Dallas not combine some of the two cities? So which city is more modern; Houston or Dallas? Cus the vids I've seen Dallas seems to have the edge on modern/upscale.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 PM

This is the pic that I like of Dallas:

http://www.dallasapartmentlocatorsup...artments-4.jpg

Old 05-15-2016, 08:23 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

If you are looking for big city feel, I would say Houston as well. It's a bigger city, and definetely feels bigger. If you were looking for good suburb in a large metro area, then Dallas (Arlington, Plano, Irving). For a smaller city with more college feel and hipster/outdoorsy types, then Austin.

For that mix of city and outdoors, I would say San Antonio is a better fit than Dallas. Personally, I find it easier to get to hill country stuff (caves, parks, trails) than Austin, with less crowds and traffic. Having said that, I see you are coming from L.A. and I must tell you right off that NOTHING will compare to the mountains and beaches of SoCal for outdoor recreation.

There are some things I had to learn about outdoor recreation when I moved from central CA to central TX:
1) Camping in Texas is done in the spring and fall, NOT in the summer!
2) No natural lakes, they are reservoirs here. All are dammed up rivers.
3) No high country forests or peaks. (highes point is on the border with New Mexico)
4) No skiing in the winter. When you say that you want to go skiing, its assumed you mean water skiing. LOL
5) The hill country is just that, small rolling hills, not foothills. Mostly covered in cedar and live oak, in case you have an allergy to cedar, watch out in the early winter.
6) I recommend horseback riding and bike trails, they are pretty good here.
7) If you are into hunting, they don't really hunt here. They just set out feeders and wait for the deer in little huts (some with A/C!) drinking beer until the deer comes back to eat.

Don't get me wrong, I have adjusted to Texas well and wouldn't even think about moving back to my hometown in CA. But to really get my outdoors fix, I take a cheap flight back and head up to the Sequoia National Forest to camp out for a week!

Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
If you are looking for big city feel, I would say Houston as well. It's a bigger city, and definetely feels bigger. If you were looking for good suburb in a large metro area, then Dallas (Arlington, Plano, Irving). For a smaller city with more college feel and hipster/outdoorsy types, then Austin.

For that mix of city and outdoors, I would say San Antonio is a better fit than Dallas. Personally, I find it easier to get to hill country stuff (caves, parks, trails) than Austin, with less crowds and traffic. Having said that, I see you are coming from L.A. and I must tell you right off that NOTHING will compare to the mountains and beaches of SoCal for outdoor recreation.

There are some things I had to learn about outdoor recreation when I moved from central CA to central TX:
1) Camping in Texas is done in the spring and fall, NOT in the summer!
2) No natural lakes, they are reservoirs here. All are dammed up rivers.
3) No high country forests or peaks. (highes point is on the border with New Mexico)
4) No skiing in the winter. When you say that you want to go skiing, its assumed you mean water skiing. LOL
5) The hill country is just that, small rolling hills, not foothills. Mostly covered in cedar and live oak, in case you have an allergy to cedar, watch out in the early winter.
6) I recommend horseback riding and bike trails, they are pretty good here.
7) If you are into hunting, they don't really hunt here. They just set out feeders and wait for the deer in little huts (some with A/C!) drinking beer until the deer comes back to eat.

Don't get me wrong, I have adjusted to Texas well and wouldn't even think about moving back to my hometown in CA. But to really get my outdoors fix, I take a cheap flight back and head up to the Sequoia National Forest to camp out for a week!
Believe me I know the feeling. Whenever I go back to Texas and visit Houston and Austin I tend to think that it isn't as nice as CA but it's still nice. I've always looked at Texas as Spanish wine to Italian. It's always 2nd best. But given that I love the opportunities Texas offers. I am willing to make the trade off. I am just getting more and more jaded by California as it gets so crowded, expensive and the thought of a living a professional life while I am still young getting more and more elusive. I am doing fine in LA. I make good money and live well for what it offers. But with Texas cities I always feel as though nothing is out of reach, ya know. Some beautiful places here in LA might as well be in outer space they seem so unattainable. And I am not one of these guys that can just be happy in small shack just cus it's in CA. I like to know I am working for something more. That's why the trade off is just fine with me. I can always ski in New Mexico or drive to the beach in FL. I love Sante Fe and Destin.

But you would describe Dallas as being a much smaller city than Houston? As in it has a small inner core and the rest are all burbs, whereas Houston is a giant urban sprawl? Dallas will feel small upon arrival?

Austin i always knew was a small college oriented city. It felt like San Jose when I visited. But the areas around it are gorgeous. Small hills but still the nicest place in Texas.

The reason why SA isn't really on my list is because someone told me it was like Oakland to SF's Austin. That it's a bit older and not as modernized. Although I did hear it shares the same topography as Austin and that it's natural wonders are much much more accessible.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
You call that modern?
Now you've confused me. I believe a lot of that is new development, no? I figured Uptown was upscale?

What do you consider modern?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Although, MM4, how does it compare to Highland Village in Houston? Is that what you mean? Highland is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas