Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:54 PM

390 posts, read 389,865 times

Advertisements

How come the dfw area gets bashed so much here on city data ? It seems dfw area loses to just about any other city/metro here on city data ? Is it really that bad ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 01:59 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,595 times
Because a lot of DFW is suburban and CD disproportionately attracts people who vastly prefer high levels of urbanity. Based on my experience, though, most people don't care one way or the other.

Besides that, it is the usual suspects. DFW doesn't have the best weather. DFW is also growing a lot, which tends to draw strong opinions towards the metro, especially since a lot of people on CD are incapable of believing that some (many) people have different preferences and/or does not value urbanity as much. Funny enough, a lot of the bashers have never been to DFW. Personally, I love DFW.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
The Iq of posters is small single digit. It's simple as that.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
No one moves to DFW because they want to move here for the city (unlike places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston). It's always for one of these reasons: cheaper housing (compared to CA or the NE), job market, no cold weather, and no income tax.

Many large cities in the US offer great public transportation, tourist opportunities, beautiful architecture, history, and easy access to other places. DFW offers very few of these. When you compare DFW to metros with a similar population, you'll realize how DFW falls short in many areas.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:15 PM

46 posts, read 52,065 times
^ perfect explaination. Don't forget about North Texas's lack of geographic beauty. No mountains and no nearby beach.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 PM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No one moves to DFW because they want to move here for the city (unlike places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston). It's always for one of these reasons: cheaper housing (compared to CA or the NE), job market, no cold weather, and no income tax.

Many large cities in the US offer great public transportation, tourist opportunities, beautiful architecture, history, and easy access to other places. DFW offers very few of these. When you compare DFW to metros with a similar population, you'll realize how DFW falls short in many areas.
Much of that depends upon ones biases and frankly lack of context.

1). Is Chicago a Second City of Architecture... Behind Dallas? - Curbed Chicago

2). Access to other places to me means easy flights to places like
San Diego
SF
Denver/CO. Springs/Hayden
Vancouver
Chicago
Mexico City
New York
Atlanta
Miami
*I guess it was easier for you to travel to these places from KCMO?

3). Like it or not DFW is one of the best areas in the country for professional types. Restated it's a place that is very kind to successful people and not so kind, frankly no place really is, to less successful people.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:22 PM

390 posts, read 389,865 times
Besides nyc la sf and a few others it seems dfw is the best bang for your buck though. It's also seems up and coming and alot of people I know moved there for the jobs etc and ended up loving it.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Dallas can actually improve in these bolded categories. I would like to see Dallas become a more cutting edge and innovative city. It would make the city more interesting than the copy and paste feel that seems to plague the metro.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:42 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
How come the dfw area gets bashed so much here on city data ? It seems dfw area loses to just about any other city/metro here on city data ? Is it really that bad ?
It is brimming full of Texans, the big problem.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,507 times
I was expecting this article to be more insane than it actually was... it ended up being more of hey check out this portion of Dallas that has some nice architecture. It piqued my interest to go check some of those buildings out so I'm glad I read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas